Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

bratman, you just made me spit coffee over my keyboard. Cleaning bill on its way to you!

That is exactly what it is, citroen Maigret. well spotted. It was in pretty good nick, but on closer inspection it had been resprayed and there were one or two things that weren't original. The owner wouldn't let me see what was under the bonnet, so you can take from that what you will.

Roy, Normski and Bratman. You are all right insofsar as it is a ford.

Normski, would you care to expand???

Hint.

1172cc side valve engine. The car will be 59 years old in 2014. It is all original and won third place in the Glamis Castle Classic Motoring Extravaganza in July this year. Last year it wasn't placed, 2011 it didn't enter, 2010, was placed third again and in 2009 it was placed second.

Iys a two owner car with all receipts, MOT's and service history. No accident damage and absolutely everything on the car is original, from the paintwork down to the door seals.

Frankie

bratman, you just made me spit coffee over my keyboard. Cleaning bill on its way to you!

That is exactly what it is, citroen Maigret. well spotted. It was in pretty good nick, but on closer inspection it had been resprayed and there were one or two things that weren't original. The owner wouldn't let me see what was under the bonnet, so you can take from that what you will.

Hint.

1172cc side valve engine. The car will be 59 years old in 2014. It is all original and won third place in the Glamis Castle Classic Motoring Extravaganza in July this year. Last year it wasn't placed, 2011 it didn't enter, 2010, was placed third again and in 2009 it was placed second.

Iys a two owner car with all receipts, MOT's and service history. No accident damage and absolutely everything on the car is original, from the paintwork down to the door seals.

Frankie

Anglia - I can't remember any other Fords of that era that had that sort of styling?

Hint.

Frankie

Anglia - I can't remember any other Fords of that era that had that sort of styling?
Has anyone said Ford Popular?.......cos my Dad`s was 1172 side valve !!

Regards

John

- I can't remember any other Fords of that era that had that sort of styling?Has anyone said Ford Popular?.......cos my Dad`s was 1172 side valve !!RegardsJohn

I think you've got it, John. In the back of my mind, I thought that there was another Ford of that era but I could't remember what it was called.

Bluesman, your prize of a goldfish in a bag is on its way through the post to you.

Yep, it is indeed a 1955 Ford Prefect 100E 1172 cc side valve engine. All original with no modifications.

Father in law has had it since Moses was a boy and is still in use. He takes it out for special occasions as well as taking it to Glamis for the Extravaganza.

Well, that was fun, what's next??

Frankie

Bluesman, your prize of a goldfish in a bag is on its way through the post to you.

Yep, it is indeed a 1955 Ford Prefect 100E 1172 cc side valve engine. All original with no modifications.

Father in law has had it since Moses was a boy and is still in use. He takes it out for special occasions as well as taking it to Glamis for the Extravaganza.

Well, that was fun, what's next??

Frankie

So there is an upside to being old. My first car was the E93a Ford Prefect 19 something or other, also known as a sit up and beg model. My second car was the 100E Prefect in Dagenham Ford Black with the number plate 6 MNU, wonder where that number plate ended up.

Anyone know what Goldfish eat? better get down to Tescos and buy it some food.

• Like 1

Frankie

Hang on, why isn't normski2 the winner - wasn't his the first post that mentioned a Prefect? We can't have competitions in a Lexus forum looking like an election in Zimbabwe!!! On the other hand, the prize is only a goldfish and not a villa, luxury car, servants and a mega-million Swiss bank account, so let bluesman keep the prize.

Frankie

Hang on, why isn't normski2 the winner - wasn't his the first post that mentioned a Prefect? We can't have competitions in a Lexus forum looking like an election in Zimbabwe!!! On the other hand, the prize is only a goldfish and not a villa, luxury car, servants and a mega-million Swiss bank account, so let bluesman keep the prize.

Oh Crikey, I had better put the chips back and wait for an adjudication. Mike

Actually my dear compatriots.....first prize was indeed a fabulous villa in the hills above Soller on Majorca. So, as I sit enjoying my rather nice Duke D'Alba brandy on this warn, cloudless and starlit evening I raise my glass and bid you all salut.

Fear not good chums .....the gold fish are going to their rightful home.

Actually my dear compatriots.....first prize was indeed a fabulous villa in the hills above Soller on Majorca. So, as I sit enjoying my rather nice Duke D'Alba brandy on this warn, cloudless and starlit evening I raise my glass and bid you all salut.

Fear not good chums .....the gold fish are going to their rightful home.

What a beautiful part of the world. We used to holiday alot in Majorca and I loved getting the old tram railway and when you had to get off to change trams in Soller visit to the Patisserie in the square there was always a had to do before getting the tram down to that beautiful bay.

Many an enjoyable evening sat watching the sun sink down.

Hey doods!

After counting fivers in both Normski's and Bluesman's wee brown envelopes, otherwise known as a recount, I have decided that the prize should be shared.

Although Normski was first to correctly identify the car as a prefect, it was Bluesman who gave the most details. So, as I am on a par with Solomon in the wisdom stakes, I have decided to split the fish down the middle and give you both half each. No. no. no, don't thank me. Its the fairest way to do it.

I had no idea the 1172 engine was essentially ford's generic engine as it was also used in the Anglia too. The wee car's name is wee car. Original or what??

As I said, wee car is completely original and has not been modified in any way and that's the reason that its been placed well in the rankings. It is a beautiful little car and Willie (paw in law) keeps it in tip top condition. He was a car dealer in Dundee for thirty odd years so he's been able to dedicate the time and care it needs to keep it running as smooth as it does, he deserves a lot of credit for that.

One thing that really surprised me was how easy it is to get original replacement parts for it. I've sourced indicator lenses, full exhaust system, brake master cylinder and others with no difficulty whatsoever. He even has the original receipt for £628 and several shillings and pennies. Wifey and I were able to get him an original ford parts price list and owners manual for his Christmas last year. They didn't cost much, but I would've gladly paid 20 times more than I did just to see the look on his face when he opened the presents and saw what they were.

Sorry for rambling on, I thought it would make a change from everyone telling everyone else what's gone wrong with their car this week!

Take it easy guys and Janet

Frankie

Hey doods!

After counting fivers in both Normski's and Bluesman's wee brown envelopes, otherwise known as a recount, I have decided that the prize should be shared.

Although Normski was first to correctly identify the car as a prefect, it was Bluesman who gave the most details. So, as I am on a par with Solomon in the wisdom stakes, I have decided to split the fish down the middle and give you both half each. No. no. no, don't thank me. Its the fairest way to do it.

I had no idea the 1172 engine was essentially ford's generic engine as it was also used in the Anglia too. The wee car's name is wee car. Original or what??

As I said, wee car is completely original and has not been modified in any way and that's the reason that its been placed well in the rankings. It is a beautiful little car and Willie (paw in law) keeps it in tip top condition. He was a car dealer in Dundee for thirty odd years so he's been able to dedicate the time and care it needs to keep it running as smooth as it does, he deserves a lot of credit for that.

One thing that really surprised me was how easy it is to get original replacement parts for it. I've sourced indicator lenses, full exhaust system, brake master cylinder and others with no difficulty whatsoever. He even has the original receipt for £628 and several shillings and pennies. Wifey and I were able to get him an original ford parts price list and owners manual for his Christmas last year. They didn't cost much, but I would've gladly paid 20 times more than I did just to see the look on his face when he opened the presents and saw what they were.

Sorry for rambling on, I thought it would make a change from everyone telling everyone else what's gone wrong with their car this week!

Take it easy guys and Janet

Frankie

If it helps further your memories I think the electrical system was 6V, the engine was a side valve, the engine was rated at around 35 BHP (What you could do with the Top Gear) it had a 3 speed box, 0 to 60mph was around a week going down hill with the wind behind you. I never had a heater in mine so it must have been an extra. Oh happy innocent days.

As I will only be getting half the gold fish now Frankie I will up the chip portion.

ah, but i've not decided which half you'll get....

will it be the bony half with the eyeballs, skull and brain or the tasty end with the erm...intestinal tract, genitalia and other reproductive organs, anus and swim bladder....

I'm not doing very well at promoting this prize am I?

Frankie

sorry, forgot to talk about the prefect...oops!

Its the noisiest, stinkiest and most uncomfortable car I have ever driven and if you can get it to go from 0-60 in a week, you must've had the sport version...

Still, I wouldn't change it for the world. It is a fabulous little car and it was at the start of the period where motoring really became something that was becoming just within the reach of the masses and as such its a piece of history and it was a very advanced car for the time as it actually had indicators and not the ones that popped out from the side and thereby running the risk of decapitating tall cyclists when turning. I won't talk about the anaemic poo coloured paint. Some readers may still be eating!

Frankie

• Like 1

Perhaps the most surprising thing about your father-in-law's Prefect, Frankie, is that it has had only 2 owners since new. My recollection of car ownership in the late 50's and early 60's is that cars changed hands very frequently - not because they were so desirable, but because they so quickly developed faults that people wanted to get rid of them as soon as possible. Ah! The eggs in leaking radiators, sawdust in the oil to dampen out big end clatter and many other tricks to disguise a Friday afternoon car. Those were the days!

The Citroen Avant Traction, as shown in your avatar, was a car that I really lusted after but I settled for something with very similar, but better, looks and even more desirable features. This was a Riley 1 1/2 litre RME. Truly a gentleman's sporting carriage. I loved that car but was in the Forces and had to sell it when I was posted to the Far East for 3 years. I reckon that 15 grand might buy me a well-restored example but I will have to wait for a lottery win for that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links