Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

F Sport - Is300H - My First Drive

I have one for the next 2 days. This view is totally honest and from the perspective of someone who is not a die hard Lexus fan (so fans might want to grab a coffee first lol).

First impressions:

Ride and Handling - handling is very good - whilst I find the steering a little numb and over light, it is good in comparison to most EPS systems. The car feels light and nimble especially in Sport mode.

The ride is something that I cannot get on with at all. I have found it too fidgety and hard, in fact (dare I say it) very much like the CT F Sport, and may be it's because I've been cocooned in my GS for too long! I need to try a Luxury or Premiere version to compare, but this really has put me off and I hope that it's not a general thing with the smaller Lexus's.

Road noise is a slightly higher than the GS, but it's all relative and very good. Other noises are well subdued, especially the engine.

CVT Box - actually much better than I thought it might be - doesn't seem to just whine and Rev like some journo's say.

Interior quality - all very good except the centre console. I had fears (after my 2nd Gen IS) that the hard plastic would creak and groan but it doesn't. I have heard one or two buzzes from the passenger footwell area/glovebox area, but then no car is gonna feel as solid as the new GS (which I have to say is one notch up). I'm, however, still not sure about the hard plastic of the centre console at all - it seems to bring the quality feel down a bit.

The C Post/door/window kink - personally I am so used to the BSM in the GS now that I was struggling a little. The Kink didn't help too much as when looking into the passenger door mirror to change lane the Kink kept making me think there was a car there and when I looked it obscured vision (creating a blind spot)- but again thats something I could get used to. I don't if the IS has BSM on the F Sport or not (i.e. may be it's switched off), I know the Premier does.

The Dash - it's great to look at, but for some reason I prefer the normal conventional dials. I found it gimmicky distracting - but may be something I could get used to. I'm of the opinion that simple dials are all you need for simple info….

Stereo/Satnav - 8 speaker quality was actually not bad at all, though I found the Satnav screen small compared to what most premium manufacturers are now building into their new models. Being used to the "IMAX" in the GS lol makes this look like very tiny!

Seats - very supportive, but even with my slight frame I found them tight, so anyone who loves their Pizza might feel hemmed in? Dunno…lol

Economy - not bad. In a stop start/city run, I managed a trip computer based 38mpg, and towards the end of the drive I was finding that I could get up to speed, and then at 31mph just lift off the throttle, and then lightly maintain EV/that speed for a while. If I had been doing that from the start I might have managed 40+, and that was all in Normal mode (see F30 330d below).

Hybrid drive - very smooth - typical Toyota/Lexus. They really know how to make this system work.

So conclusion? 7/10. If the ride had been a little more cosseting, and the centre console had a better choice of material/s then I would up that to a 8.5/10 (and I mark very hard).

Comparison to GS? There really isn't one. You'd think both cars have been made by different manufacturers. The IS guns for a sporty drive (like the CT), the GS guns for luxury and waft ability.

Having driven an F30 BMW recently (330d M Sport) I have to say that the BMW has the edge. I found it was slightly nosier (wind) inside, but the ride was marginally better and in M Sport trim the interior, sports seats etc were nicer overall. Performance wise the 330d is astonishing! The acceleration, torque etc is mind blowing, and 35 MPG easily attainable in town, and it is sharper to drive. The one I drove had adaptive M Sport suspension and it was superb!

For £38k though, the BMW would be stingily kitted - may be Satnav and auto - thats it - but then discounts could well be big on it so it's not that simple!

So to add, after another drive today:

Suspension noise - is it me is there a lot of pattering from the suspension? I know it's a quiet car, but I am finding the suspension pitter patter is loud. Also, the fan, even on 2-3 it makes quite a hiss, even with all vents open.

Seats - as mentioned on my previous notes, they do hug you, but after a 1 hour drive I have started to suffer from back ache :-( and this takes me right back to the BMW Sports seats in the 5 series I had. The hard ride and "fist in my back" lumbar set up is too painful!! Even with the Lumbar adjustment "loosened" it still is very uncomfortable for me over any time/distance. I was actually happy to get out!

Economy - now this is good!! Averaged 44 mpg, using EV where possible. Engine performance is good, but I'm not a fan of the silly V8 sound from the speakers! May be I'm getting too old!!

Handling - very very good. Grip is tenacious, even in the wet, there is a sense of fluidity and poise that is almost as good as anything else around.

I know everyone is different, so some of you may or may not disagree - just my findings for what it's worth!

What this drive so far has done, however, is confirmed to me that the GS is stonking great value for money, especially given that the GS300h is now out!

Great in depth review. I found the ride in the IS300h to be softer than BMW's of all series. TBH im not a fan of the "v8" sound either, turned it straight off, so much better without it.

Of course the seats are all subjective. Personally, I thought the IS300h has the best seats in its class and im 6ft, big build.

Great review Silver Arrow, thanks for such a comprehensive post. You may be getting old, but the fake noise is daft IMO too, I actually quite enjoy the hybrid hum.

The seats are very subjective, and for me are great, but if you were looking forward to getting out of the car that's not good.

Looking forward to further updates.

The BMW M Sport set up is hard, but with the Adaptive M Sport option it is so much better. I never managed to try the AVS in either a GS or an IS, so I don't know how it compares (have driven a F Sport GS but never played with the settings as I didn't realise that changing the controller also made AVS changes (DOH). I've tried the VDC (Variable Damper Control) in a new 5 series and that is excellent too, especially in Eco Pro Comfort mode. It strikes an excellent balance for me.

I've always had back trouble, and for years I've struggled to get totally comfortable in any car. The worst were the M Sport seats in the 5 series, without Lumbar adjustment (thats right, on a £41k car), and I kept that for almost 5 years, at great pains!!

The best seats I've come across are as follows:

Standard fit seats:

1) Lexus GS (latest)

2) Volvo S80 and S60 - can't split them as they feel very similar

3) Lexus RX (latest)

4) Mercedes E Class Sports seats

Upgraded seats:

1) Audi A8 Comfort Seats

2) BMW 7 series Comfort Seats

3) BMW 5 Series Comfort seats

(all 3 of the above are excellent, and I wouldn't buy one without them)

In the end (for one reason or another) I returned the IS today :-(. It's not gonna be for me I'm afraid!! Oh well….

Got back in the GS, and I actually enjoy the cosseting….I couldn't believe how "wafty" it felt. But I do miss the extra torque/speed of the 300h!

Don't get me wrong - I've said some negative things - which do not mean that new IS is a bad car. For what it's worth it is brilliant - there is so little to choose between different makes now a days. I was really happy with the Hybrid drive - it's brilliant and I can see why you guys love yours. If I didn't have my back issues I would probably have one too!

Excellent contribution Jonas, many thanks.

The comments about hard ride are a big concern for me because, like Jonas, I have occasional back problems. Has anyone compared the ride in an F Sport with that in one of the non F Sport models running on 17" wheels?

Tyres on the 17" wheels are not quite so low profile and I guess the F Sport suspension and seats are firmer. My impression was that the ride in a non F Sport was more comfortable than my 2009 IS250SEI and a lot better than the CT200. But I've only had a brief test drive, so I'd really appreciate comments from anyone with longer experience.

Obviously some of this will be down to personal preference and I am planning on having an extended test drive in January. If I find the IS3 ride too hard then I'm not sure what my options will be. The GS is nice but it's a little too big and limo like for me and I've already discounted the BMW 3 Series.

So I think for now the GS will stay. I was always hoping to keep it for 4-5 years, but what has really worried me is the depreciation. I managed to get £3k of when I bought it, so that brought it down to about £35k, in July 2012. Anyone want to hazard a guess at what it's worth now?

£19500! I've gone past the point of no return with this and it'll have to stay, so with my company car/cash in lieu allowance etc, I don't want to lose no more than £5k p/a on average (thats my "break even" point).

As far as the ride is concerned, it is subjective. Once you get used to something, you find it's OK. It's only when you try something else you start to compare.

For me the best riding family car with a short wheelbase is a MK6 VW Golf. If anyone wants to get a good measure of what is hard and what isn't try the Golf. It corners beautifully; it soaks up bumps etc. and is just right. It doesn't wallow at all, is firm but very progressive. We have one, a 2009 1.4TSi and it is a very very good. But as bland as chips without salt or sauce.

But what you do get with the IS300h is a car that handles very well indeed. You can flick it through corners very accurately and with loads of confidence. I haven't tried one with 17" wheels - so if anyone has please post.

I have to say though, I found the ride in the IS and CT very similar. In both you can feel every rut and ripple.

Hi, I had the Luxury spec IS 300H on demo for a weekend. I've currently got an e90 320d ed for comparison purposes. I found the ride very good on the Luxury spec, a firm edge but still very supple and far from uncomfortable. The biggest benefit over the 320d was how quiet the ride was, by this I mean the suspension just got on with its job without that drumming sound you get in some cars. The handling felt very taut and fluid too. I just need my firm to get round to launching their new scheme now to help make my mind up.

Excellent contribution Jonas, many thanks.

The comments about hard ride are a big concern for me because, like Jonas, I have occasional back problems. Has anyone compared the ride in an F Sport with that in one of the non F Sport models running on 17" wheels?

Tyres on the 17" wheels are not quite so low profile and I guess the F Sport suspension and seats are firmer. My impression was that the ride in a non F Sport was more comfortable than my 2009 IS250SEI and a lot better than the CT200. But I've only had a brief test drive, so I'd really appreciate comments from anyone with longer experience.

Obviously some of this will be down to personal preference and I am planning on having an extended test drive in January. If I find the IS3 ride too hard then I'm not sure what my options will be. The GS is nice but it's a little too big and limo like for me and I've already discounted the BMW 3 Series.

I don't think the ride is hard, firm yes, hard no. I've had great fun today throwing it around country roads in Surrey in Sport. Really good road holding even in wet and leafy conditions at times. Why not have a short test drive now, rather than waiting until January? I'd of thought 15/20 mins would be enough to rule it in or out of consideration. Not sure I could wait until January!

Hi David, Many thanks it's great to know you're happy with the quality of the ride especially as I believe you previously had a 2nd gen IS250 like mine.

I am really itching to have a test drive and make a final decision but a combination of budget and diary constraints mean that I can't place an order before January. However, they say all good things are worth waiting for! Also by the time I get mine hopefully a software update will have resolved the minor niggles some of you have with the nav, audio and phone system and, if Wicksy's dashboard rattle is a general problem, that too will have been fixed.

Hi David, Many thanks it's great to know you're happy with the quality of the ride especially as I believe you previously had a 2nd gen IS250 like mine.

I am really itching to have a test drive and make a final decision but a combination of budget and diary constraints mean that I can't place an order before January. However, they say all good things are worth waiting for! Also by the time I get mine hopefully a software update will have resolved the minor niggles some of you have with the nav, audio and phone system and, if Wicksy's dashboard rattle is a general problem, that too will have been fixed.

I did indeed have the 2nd Gen and believe the 3rd Gen ride and handling to be much better, as is the power and mpg. Win win. Definite Bluetooth nav issues albeit minor. Thankfully quiet as you like in the cabin, no gremlins.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links