Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Suspension Issues.

BarneyTT

That's good news, seemingly a wise move/choice.

I take it the link you posted up, those are a straight swap, also were the company good to deal with?

Yes they're a straight swap, so easy to fit, the company were superb to deal with, e-mails from that at every step plus a tracking number.

The only problem were Royal Fail who seemed to have a problem finding where to deliver them- only a garage that has been there for at least 40 years!............

Thanks again Tony, must admit I'm thinking of going for a pair of these myself plus the company sound good to deal with which is a bonus.

I'm afraid the RM are getting worse, gone are the days of a regular postie who knows his round and in some cases his customers.

• 2 weeks later...

NOISE GONE!!!!

I had both the ARB drop links replaced recently, and the one agravating rattle from the NSF was left.

I remembered vaguely reading something about worn caliper sliders causing a bad rattle. So I took the car for a drive near were I live that made the rattle fairly constant. once the noise started I rested my foot lightly on the brake pedal, et voila, the noise stopped- foot off pedal back came the noise........I wonder......

Long story short. When I got home I tookoff the caliper and lo and behold the bottom slider pin was very loose (more like a pr**k in a sleeve) I didn't need to pull it out- it fell out of it's own accord! I wrapped it with insulating tape until it was a close fit, greased it and refitted the caliper.

Took the car for a test drive along the bad road I mentioned above- silence!! Total silence.

I'm about to go on holiday, when I get back I'll order a service kit and repair it properly.

At last you've sorted it, well done that man!

I've just ordered a pair of Sachs shocks from the same place as you and also a pair of suspension top mounts from Lexus, as I've already had all the calipers overhauled with brand new Lexus parts so I'm really hoping the new top mounts and struts cure my noise.

Enjoy your holiday.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got to have a good look at my front suspension. I removed the upper and lower suspension arms, anti-roll bar, complete shock stuts and all the associated hardware from bot left and right front suspension.

I found nothing faulty so lubricated all the bushings with wd40 and applied anti-seize compound to all the bolts (minus the brake caliper bolts, obviously). I then placed the shock strut assemblies upside down and sprayed a little wd40 on the chrome part of the strut, as well as on the upper side of the bump stop (which was quite dry and stuck). Lastly, I applied grease to the anti-roll bar bushings and re-assembled the compete suspension (both sides).

Since then, the annoying noise has disappeared. Now all I need to do is get the wheel alignment done.

I guess over time there will be certain things that will "knock" slightly but not enough to generate any real play when checked. I had an MOT advisory last time of slight play in a lower ball joint but the suspension firm i went to couldn't find anything wrong and I never had any noises from it.

I am having coilovers fitted in a couple of days to compliment the Eibach roll bars, bushes and spacers I already have, so that should sort any issues and make it a more enjoyable drive too! Watch this space.

Hi Guys,

I've also recently purchased some Sachs Shocks all round. I think my car is suffering when driven even on the smallest of bumps - i know i wont get the car as tight as it was new but i want to get it as close as possible within reasonable amount of cost.

My question, (please ignore my ignorance if this has been posted a million times) - is it worth replacing the shocks yourself? I'm a keen DIY mechanic and had some fair experience (under supervision) putting an engine together. However, this is no engine and my question goes out to anyone who may have tried to swap over the shocks themselves?

Thank you all.

P.s Hmoves - wait till you repair your calipers - the car will drive beautifully. I recently replaced both my front calipers and wow! what a difference - the car rolls on even the slightest of inclines on the road.

Adam

The shocks aren't difficult to replace , but you will need a spring compressor.

If you haven't done this sort of thing I strongly suggest you get someone who knows what they are doing to help you!

Adam: yes, I also inspected and cleaned, then lubricated the usual parts on the brake calipers. They weren't at all stuck so, once I moved the pistons in and out a few times on each caliper, I reinstalled them and the car does glide well. I also took the time to adjust the parking brakes in the rear disks first before tweaking the handbrake cable.

As for replacing the shock: not very difficult, but bear in mind you will need to remove carpets and trim to get acces to the rear ones.

You'll also need spring compressor/clamps.

Update: I have now replaced my front shocks with the Sachs shocks and also had new Lexus suspension top mounts fitted and I'm pleased to say that in the limited mileage I have covered since fitting everything seems fine, it seems the knocking noise has been cured. It's not been the cheapest problem to solve but at least I can really enjoy the car now.