Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mpg From My 1St Full Tank

So I have just filled my tank after using my first full tank of fuel. When I picked the car up it was almost on fumes so I filled up at a supermarket. I'm going on a longish journey tomorrow so thought I'd fill up today, it took 54 litre and I covered 626km on this which equates to a measly 32.6mpg :( I do tend to travel short distances quite regularly so I'm sure this will be a massive factor but I was getting an extra 12mpg on my old mk4 Golf.

So when I filled up this time I used a Total station and chose premium diesel. I also cleaned the egr valve this week, the unit was replaced in June so didn't think it would be too bad but there was a fair amount of carbon build up. (I'll post a pick if anyone is interested?).

I'm also going to use a fuel additive. It's not a well known one and I'm not going to say the name as any advertising doesn't seem to go down well here. It's a relatively new brand that I saw good results from on my mk4 golf, the car ran smoother, started easier and warmed up a lot quicker which in this cold weather improves mpg. I'll report back the findings, the seller told me that to his knowledge nobody has tried this on a Lexus is220d so I'm the Guinea pig!

It's a product called Diesel Rhino, it's quite new but is getting more mainstream. At the moment you can by it from the website and from a few service stations so I hear. It's been around a while in the VW world. I used it on my Golf so thought I'd try it on the Lexus, seems excellent so far. You can find more info if you google it or look about on VW/vag forums

I would like to know this too, I've used it quite a lot on other cars as a prevention. Doesn't seem to give more mpg or power but I've never had any problems. My Golf seems to run smoother and start easier on redex.

I've started my first bottle on my car, and have noticed it starts a bit better tbh. However haven't noticed improvement in efficiency.

I suppose it may require a few tanks of these before noticing difference?

I also try to use V Power Diesel too, hopefully a combination of all of these will be healthy for the car!

If it does good for the fuel system I'm happy. I saw on 5th gear they bought an old car and put it on the rolling road, found it was down 30bhp from the factory, they used redex fuel system cleaner and got something like 17bhp back! The rest they got back through servicing iirc

So I filled up today and found I got 36.1mpg from thus tank, 3.5mpg more than last time. This could be due to the additive, so e longer runs, cleaning the egr or more likely a combination of the 3, either way I'm happy it improved. The additive shouldn't really show improvements to mpg until after a few tanks so fingers crossed it will continue to improve. It has been very cold here too which hasn't helped the mpg.

Also I think I need to reset the ecu properly. The readout on the dash shows 8.7 litres/100km which Is nowhere near 36mpg!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links