Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Kerbed The F Sport Shoes - Happily Now Restored

Well it had to happen, I just didn't think it would be as quick as it was! barely a couple of weeks into ownership I did this to the front near:

post-26582-0-50641500-1385910343_thumb.j

post-26582-0-41599500-1385910470_thumb.j

I was taking evasive action so I guess it could have been a lot worse.

One day later I did this:

post-26582-0-09460500-1385910413_thumb.j

Totally my fault as I turned too tight and brushed the rim.

Luckily, I bought the tyre and alloy protection the car, and this gives me 10 repairs over the first 3 year period of ownership, max £100 per incident/wheel.

Made the claim, very easy by sending photos as above, repair approved next day and repairer appointed. Checked with Lexus the repairer was good, apparently they have used them many times before, all good so far. Repairer then said because of the finish of the F Sport alloys (smoked something or other) he wanted to send the wheels away to the factory. Would take a week, my car on bricks, nightmare.

Anyway, Lexus Croydon bless 'em, arranged for my car to be stored at the compound while the wheels were sent away. I'm luck enough to have been able to commandeer my daughters brand new A1, which was nice, but not quite Lexie!

Of course I've also read everything about how the colours are impossible to match and I was going to have a nightmare etc etc.

End of the story is I picked the car up on Friday and here is the front nearside:

post-26582-0-82308600-1385911270_thumb.j

I have looked at it a thousand times and run around the other side to see if I can tell the difference, changed the position of the car to see it in a different light etc etc, and I cannot see any difference. if you can from the photos then it is purely a photo thing. The rear is equally good.

I am so relieved but will be taking massive care in future as I really don't want to go through it again. Unfortunately I have a feeling that the reality is it will happen again.

A very relieved DJP!

Well it had to happen, I just didn't think it would be as quick as it was! barely a couple of weeks into ownership I did this to the front near:

attachicon.gifFront Nearside Full.JPG

attachicon.gifFront Nearside Close.JPG

I was taking evasive action so I guess it could have been a lot worse.

One day later I did this:

attachicon.gifRear Close.JPG

Totally my fault as I turned too tight and brushed the rim.

Luckily, I bought the tyre and alloy protection the car, and this gives me 10 repairs over the first 3 year period of ownership, max £100 per incident/wheel.

Made the claim, very easy by sending photos as above, repair approved next day and repairer appointed. Checked with Lexus the repairer was good, apparently they have used them many times before, all good so far. Repairer then said because of the finish of the F Sport alloys (smoked something or other) he wanted to send the wheels away to the factory. Would take a week, my car on bricks, nightmare.

Anyway, Lexus Croydon bless 'em, arranged for my car to be stored at the compound while the wheels were sent away. I'm luck enough to have been able to commandeer my daughters brand new A1, which was nice, but not quite Lexie!

Of course I've also read everything about how the colours are impossible to match and I was going to have a nightmare etc etc.

End of the story is I picked the car up on Friday and here is the front nearside:

attachicon.gifRepaired.jpg

I have looked at it a thousand times and run around the other side to see if I can tell the difference, changed the position of the car to see it in a different light etc etc, and I cannot see any difference. if you can from the photos then it is purely a photo thing. The rear is equally good.

I am so relieved but will be taking massive care in future as I really don't want to go through it again. Unfortunately I have a feeling that the reality is it will happen again.

A very relieved DJP!

Forgot to mention, the eagle eyed amongst you will notice the Lexus dustcaps have been nicked and replaced by standard plastic ones. Annoying.

Good job :)

Who nicked the Lexus dust caps? When you sent the wheels away? If so I'd be playing hell....

I guess at the factory. I've let the repairers know about it......

I've run around the car, checked and double checked with an ultra critical eye and I can't tell them apart.

OMG really? Thats a first. Who did you get it done by? My front right ones been botched by Lexus. Its a completely different colour to the other 3. And one of my wheels is slightly kerbed too.

I've run around the car, checked and double checked with an ultra critical eye and I can't tell them apart.

OMG really? Thats a first. Who did you get it done by? My front right ones been botched by Lexus. Its a completely different colour to the other 3. And one of my wheels is slightly kerbed too.

They were appointed by the Insurers who cover my tyres and wheels. Nigel P Aldrige - Alloy Wheel Refurbishment. wheeldoctor@live.co.uk. Tel 07870 607 735. They were excellent from start to finish, and their comms were really good when I had to cancel and rearrange. When they saw the photos I'd submitted to the Insurer they said they wanted to send the wheels away which did mean I was without the car for a few days, but it was worth it.

No idea what area they cover.

Is there a touch up paint from Lexus?

If not then perhaps a trawl through Halfords will find something suitable to make this look less unsightly but more importantly keep the muck/salt from getting under the lacquer/paint and lifting the lot during winter while we're not looking?

Could be an idea to keep a little kit in the glovebox - touch up paint/Stanley knife blade or scraper & cleaning rag and solvent??

Just the two. The Lexus dust caps that I thought had been pinched were actually taken off prior to the wheels being sent away and they forgot to put them back. I now have them.

Hi DJP

I have not scuffed an alloy wheel for over 10 years and yet I managed to scuff the same nearside front wheel as yours last Friday after just a few weeks of ownership as well, which is really quite annoying! I have the alloy wheel insurance which I will phone this week to sort out - how long did they have your alloy(s) for? I'm guessing it wont be sorted before Christmas at this stage?

A

How annoying! I'm assuming you have the F Sport, if not I believe they can do a mobile repair.

I dropped mine at my dealership who kindly stored the car whilst it was wheel less. They picked them up on a Monday and I had the car back on the Friday. Good luck with it.

Thanks! Yes - It's the F-Sport alloys - they look gorgeous but clearly not as easy to sort out if you kerb them!

Mind you, the winter tyres I have on have very little rim protection and would likely have not helped with the situation - the standard tyres seem to have a larger lip and hence better overall alloy protection.

Anyway, once I phone the insurers and get it sorted, I'll see if my own local Lexus dealer will be as accommodating as yours, especially if they have to send the wheel away - i'm sure they will be!