Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattling Sc430 Exhaust Tip

McLean

Noticed a slight rattle from under the car the other day and discovered it's one of the exhaust tips. The end few inches of the exhaust pipe has rusted away so the retaining flutes on the inside of the tip no longer holds it in place tightly - pic attached. The tip's still held ok - for now - with the fixing bolt. The pipe on the other side isn't far behind.

Question is, what best to do?

Is there a standard part that would replace the last foot or so of exhaust? Or does it have to be the whole final box?

Anyone else had this yet with their SC430?

post-2377-0-73601200-1386579618_thumb.jp

Hi my whole exhaust from the front cats had to be replaced due to it being covered by around 50 small holes ,and the metal was too thin to fix .I opted for all of it in stainless as it was the cheapest option ,it cost £300 and they gave me the choice of how I wanted it to sound from silent to drag car loud ,I opted for the natural noise the exhaust made which is a nice low barbl which is enough to let people know its something special ,the company I used is in Leeds .

Both my exhaust tips were gone. The ends of each pipe were completely corroded away so much the finisher would not stay on. I found out just after I bought the car when I noticed the end finisher was loose and rattling.. Lexus new exhaust was about £700 and the finishers were £80 each.. I looked at changing it to stainless steel and was quoted about £400 seems a no brainer but on further investigation I couldn't get the two garages to convince me the car would be as original and the kept going on about the sound it would make and 'mid sport set up' etc etc.. When I said I wanted it quiet not mid sport and as original they didn't answer my e-mail.. Friend of mine had one on another car and it was too loud . Seems the stainless exhausts are all basically 'strait through systems.. sometimes they can add wire wool type stuff to the expansion chambers but apparently it may not last long.. In the end I couldn't get a straight answer about the volume of the stainless steel unit so I was resigned to going for a Lexus part. Their price included fitting they would only sell with it fitted ? Or you paid that price and got it fitted yourself with no guarantee I presume... The decision was taken from me I managed to go off the road into a pig farm after hitting a river going across the main road at night. Damaged the front back and sides, removed the exhaust finishers and damaged the exhaust. I had it all done including new exhaust on insurance. car re sprayed apart from the roof.. Like new !! I like the car quiet and making it sound anything more than Lexus wanted it to be isn't on for me. That's the point of the car.

hmnnnnnn interesting,and worrying, thread.

Both chrome end pieces held on with extra screws after I found they were loose.Luckily there is enough sound metal left to screw into.

The whole of my exhaust is really scabby and showing its 12 years of age,but so far no holes have appeared.

Been wondering about the cost of a new system so now I know.I was not planning on 700 quid though!

Will probably go for the SS option

If you want to hear an as system you can come to Leeds or give me a personal message and we can exchange phone numbers and ill turn the car on for you to hear although down the phone but you will get an idea ,just to let you know everyone I know likes the sound old and young.

Its not the rattling exhaust tip that makes replacing some parts essential its the fact that on investigation the looseness is caused by corroded end pipes. You cant repair them.. Its impossible.

Since my first post, I've found two local firms that could fix.

One would weld their own tail pipes in place for roughly £100 a side. For rather more money, the other would fabricate stainless replacement parts to fit on to the rear box. Either way a lot less than the local dealer.

Car's coming up for 9 next year but done only 60k so just run-in really and in great nick generally.

Guess I'll have to get under it over the Xmas break and have a good poke about to see if it warrants the expense of OEM repair.

Thanks for all your inputs - will keep you posted.

I think repairing exhausts that have corroded is likely to be false economy. The ends of mine were

completely gone. If I was short of money I would go for the stainless steel option and insist on the

quietest exhaust they could do...

• 5 weeks later...

sorry but they are just to dull standard and whats whats the point in having a big v8 without the sound

That's what my son said !! Exactly but I am still educating him..

Moving along in car quickly and quietly is what the 430SC was meant to do. Really the Japanese put so much effort into that. Its NOT a sports car. Its not meant to be a sports car. Its meant to be along distance cruiser that allowed you to drive across continents with ease and arrive fresh.. That's what it does best.

I don't find overtaking people at high speed without a sound 'dull' I think its just 'special'.

But I admit I am in a minority. So many seem to think like Jeremy Clarkeson these days. we even have car companies like Citron (I use the English spelling as I don't like the EU)(it would be wouldn't it) making cars with the noise coming out of the radio !!

Whats the world coming to. !!

I must be too old..!

never to old mate

and its not noisy,trust me you will like it

if we set up a meet i show you,and if you dont like it,then the first drinks are on me

never to old mate

if we set up a meet i show you,and if you dont like it,then the first drinks are on me

never to old mate

I am bound to hate it then !

I will say there are some members on here I would like to have a drink with.. We should work on a meet..

I'm with you Peter,I like the SC in its quiet mode ( ditto your comment on the EU as well).

Sounds like I have turned into Victor Meldrew ( well we are about the same age )

Its creepy isn't it just how much Victor was right... 'I cant believe it..'

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links