Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Hmm, judging by the replies in this topic it would appear the pumps are prone to failing at around 60-70K or once 7-8 years old. I think I better anticipate having to change mine within the next couple of years.

That is very close. I would say 60-100k (mine was 112k), but you are right from 60k+ you should start saving coins for replacement. I would note - that is not only Lexus IS issue, water pump normally needs replacement ~100k in many cars.

New pump went in yesterday, she's running sweet and "silient" once again :-)

My guy who trained at Toyota is now running his own Toyota Indy garage - charged me 2.5hrs labour @ £55ph + £33 coolant top up which was original Toyota pink.

Total cost including pump £277 vs £395 that Lexus Sidcup quoted me!

• Like 1

I think I would have a punt at doing this myself if I ever had to after watching this vid, it's not really rocket science is it and  aisin pump can be had for £111 from Eurocarparts IIRC.

Indeed it is not rocket science, but more 'Car Science'.....

I was worried about getting so far into it and shearing or rounding a bolt etc etc....there are ALWAYS issues that slip you up when working on your own car outside of a professional environment.

When I was in my 20's I was always game, and got by fixing almost everything myself.

Now in my 30's earning more money - I am happy to pay for a professional (quick and reliable) service.

Each to their own - the video makes it very hard to make a wrong move. Just hope your car is kind to you on the day ;-)

Other thing is space... I would be happy to do many things myself, because I am simply like working on my car, but living in London and having 2x4 meters space in shared underground barely enables me to park a car - working on it is mostly out of question.

• 9 months later...

Took my car in to Lexus Cardiff today for the airbag recall today and they spotted that the water pump is leaking.

They quoted £44 to top up the fluid and £550 to replace the water pump which I politely declined and picked up a water pump and antifreeze from the pooical factors on my way home at a cost of £115.20.

Fitting time tomorrow! 

Oh, and the mileage= 69434 so it fits in with the general patter of around 68-70k for water pump failure.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello

Hope you're all safe and well 🙂

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but do we know if IS250 OEM water pumps have been upgraded / improved or are they still failing at c.60-70k?

(FWIW, for all its faults, VW upgrades / re-designs components that have recurring failures during a model's early years - eg, 1.8 turbo and 2.0 turbo coil packs, Mk4 Golf leaking rear wiper motors, Mk7 GTI cooling matrix, etc, etc.) 

It's not so much a problem with leaking I think but more to do with the bearings within the pump. On my car when the mileage was in the mid 60,s, I thought I could discern a sort of mild whirring/rattling sound from that area.

Bought a "Blue Print" water pump complete with the metal gasket and it turned out to be a genuine item but with the Toyota or Lexus name ground off the casting. Took the old one off and the bearing had obviously worn out as a fair bit of wiggle on the impeller and the bearing when spun had the rough/ rattly feeling.

Not a difficult job to do, just find one of the many Youtube videos which show step by step instructions.

My pump cost between £80 to £90, I can't remember the exact cost.

Though I'd put my two penneth worth. Just looked on My Lexus. Blimey my water pump was replaced in January 2014 @ 40.5k miles!!!!!!!!!! I'm on 80k now but fingers crossed no funny noises from my car. 

On 1/11/2021 at 7:37 PM, LexV84me said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but do we know if IS250 OEM water pumps have been upgraded / improved or are they still failing at c.60-70k?

Original part code for the water pump 16100-39435 was superseded with 16100-39436 so something changed, but may not be due to reliability. Having said that, I'm not hearing too many people complain of having had two failed pumps during the vehicles lifetime so maybe it has been improved.

You would normally expect a water pump to last around 80k to 120k miles.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links