Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clutch Gone - Dual Mass Flywheel?

they are not cheap bits but if the clutch has gone, i would replace the DMF too. i work for a parts factor and the clutch is usually supplied with 12 month warranty, unless you dont buy the dmf, in which case you will find you dont get any warranty on it

• 2 weeks later...

Mine doesnt have a dmf. Changed my clutch last year and it deffinatly doesnt have one. If you understand what a dmf is for you will understand that the is200 doesnt exactly need one. A standard clutch is perfectly capable. I belive some where fitted with a dmf though so if you send me your reg number i will check with my suppliers thursday morning.

As a mechanic of over 24 years be aware of the above comment of no warrenty if not bought with a dmf. If i had to buy a dmf with every clutch i would find a new supplier. Its not the parts factor that cover the warrenty anyway and i know luc and blue print ,the 2 biggest suppliers of jap parts dont have this no warrenty nonsence. I have, when needed, claimed for faulty parts and labour.

I am just telling you what my company do. If the car has a dmf Nd you only buy the clutch , they do not give warranty through our business due to the simple fact that 9/10 chance that the clutch burning out has damaged the dmf. This is well known I believe?

I would be interested know whether mine has a Dmf or not seeing as we do not list a single mass for the car

A clutch wont burn out a dmf any more than it will burn out a ss (solid state/one piece/standard) flywheel. The only way i have ever seen a flywheel burn out is due to continued driving whilst the clutch is slipping/worn out or driving like an idiot slipping the clutch therefore causing heat the flywheel wasnt designed for.

I Know luc now do a ss flywheel to replace most dmf as they appear to have been failing at high miles. Although i wouldnt recomend fitting one. I have fitted a few on transits with no ill effects up to now they are certainly cheaper and the ford dmf seems to be failing at 60k miles. I have heard horror stories within the trade of the vag group dmf failing on high mileage skodas. Usually taxis, when a dfm is replaced with a ss on these they appear to mess with the varmonics of the engine and snap the crank shafts. this information was given to me by luc themselves at a recent seminar on the dsg gearbox and how to fit/change/and service the clutches on these.

Ok back to the lexus as i mentioned on my previous post my lexus doesnt have a dmf, i believe some were fitted with them but i have no reason why one would be needed on a car with so little torque the clutch is perfectly capable of taking up the torque. Mine has doen 175.000 with out a dmf and managed just fine.

• Like 1