Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I fitted my LED side lights a few years ago and its passed all MOT tests including two done at a Lexus Dealership.

Hi Mike,

Can you tell me which LED side lights did you get? Can you provide the website link.

Thanks.

Alex

There is a good explanation here mate: http://www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=9436

If the LED is not compatible with canbus your car will throw up faults. As far as I know the is220d doesn't use canbus, I've only put LEDs in my wing mirrors so far and they have caused no problems

There is a good explanation here mate: http://www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=9436

If the led is not compatible with canbus your car will throw up faults. As far as I know the is220d doesn't use canbus, I've only put LEDs in my wing mirrors so far and they have caused no problems

I think Exdee mentioned above that the is250 does not have CAMBUS and therefore LED side lights are ok.

Sorry about this but can you explain 'CANBUS' please.

Just out of curiosity, but it might be useful to me, who knows!

CANbus is an electronic signalling system used in modern cars. It's designed to permit more powerful communication with different parts of the car and to save wiring.

Take the headlights, for example. In a traditional car, your headlamp switch would operate a relay (an electrical controlled switch) which would turn on the high-power circuits to the headlights. Heavy duty cables would go from the relay to each headlight. A similar circuit would be repeated for the main beams, for the indicators, etc.

With CANbus, a single heavy cable goes from the Battery to each lamp cluster. A computer in your headlamp stalk senses the position of the switch, and that computer sends a signal over some thin CANbus cables to each individual lamp cluster. A computer in each individual lamp cluster controls the individual bulbs in the cluster. As there is a computer in each cluster, it is very easy for that computer to check the operation of each lamp and send back a signal to the dash computer telling it that the bulb is malfunctioning (the dash computer then responds by displaying warning lights and an error message).

The IS series use CANbus extensively between the various computers. The issue with changing bulbs is therefore nothing to do with CANbus, but whether the car is equipped with bulb malfunction detection.

BMW and Merc cars are equipped with bulb malfunction detection systems. Lexus cars are not.

The issue with LED bulbs is that they are extremely energy efficient. In cars with bulb malfunction detection systems, the sensors are not expecting such high efficiency and instead treat it as a malfunction, causing the dash to display a bulb malfunction message.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links