Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Management Light On After Service

mack5029

hey. I did a service on my car is200 with 92,000miles. i changed the oil, oil filter and spark plugs. engine still seems to run fine and reving normaly and doesnt seem to be down on power. but the engine management light has come on any body any ideas?

• Like 1

If you have an Android phone, you can use an app called "Torque", coupled with a bluetooth/OBD2 adapter (£10 ebay/amazon) and you can read and reset the fault codes. It works - done it myself (once when I left the air temp sensor unplugged).

There isnt a phone app to fault code read cars. You need equipment to plug into the car. Either way dont guess what the fault is. At last look theres over 2000 fault codes that can make the light come on. Was the car ok before service ? if so go back and check everything you have done its clearly that. If it was ok before the service my guess would be wrong plugs but dont take my guess as fact

There isnt a phone app to fault code read cars. You need equipment to plug into the car.

Here you go buddy: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree

The app works together with a Bluetooth-capable OBD2 reader to diagnose fault codes. ;)

With out even looking at the link you have answered my post as i imagined. The app needs blue tooth equipment to be plugged into the car. so you need a phone and app and a device to plug into the car. You can buy code readers for a tenner a quick look on fleebay reveals http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U480-OBD-OBD2-DTC-Any-Car-Diagnostic-Fault-Code-Reader-Scan-Scanner-Engine-Reset-/310704476001?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item48576e0f61#ht_2490wt_1041

I have one simular to this that i use all the time

If a car comes in with an obvious fault i fix the fault and turn the light of using the cheap argos kit as the car doesnt need a full scan and read if its a simple obvious misfire. I also use it on my Range Rover which has a gas conversion and developes lamda faults every few weeks running on gas. So i just lean over plug in turn of and away i go again.

edit+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

just looked at your link it appears to do the basics but looking at the reviews it gets very mixed ratings. from doesnt work to very slow and glitches to doesnt work on android phone. When fault finding you need an osiloscope as many times this is the only device that registers fast enough to see things like lambda sensors switching. Be very aware of any code reader as its only as good as its program i recomend any item is bench tested before changing.

I also had a quick look for the OBD Bluetooth kit required the one i saw was $70.

• 2 weeks later...

The Torque app itself is excellent, I went and paid for the "pro" version 'cos I thought the guy earned his money. The reliability of the interface is all down to the Bluetooth (or other) adapter itself. The cheap eBay ones are "ripped" ones, I don't know how you'd even buy an official one. Anyway they seem to work generally.

Remember the Bluetooth adapter is a protocol converter - it converts the Torque app's OBD2 messages, received over a Bluetooth transmission, into to one of the OBD2 electrical formats - the adapter doesn't need to understand the message itself, just forward it on. It should be a transparent interface between the car and phone.