Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 220D Rear Brake Calipers Seized

Adam123

Hi all, I'm hoping I can receive some advice on the below issue on my is 220d (2008 registered 57 plate)

I purchased my is 220d in March 2013, no issues at all great car but just had a service done by local garage and was informed he was unable to replace the rear brake bads as the callipers were seized. I have done some online research mostly on these forums and it appears this is a common issue and many people had this corrected by lexus FOC under warranty as there was a design fault (sliding pin seized) I need new pads and brake discs anyway but the garage is unwilling to try to release the callipers unless I sign a disclaimer, which is understandable.

I will be contacting lexus in the new year but would like some advice. As I am now outside the warranty period will Lexus refuse to do anything for me? My take on this is that as it is a safety issue I would 'expect' something from Lexus! The garage is advising their next course of action would be to apply some heat to the calipers to see if this works. If not, I may require new calipers...all of this is now adding up to £500 and counting!

the garage put everything back together and I'm ok for the next couple of weeks but the pads will need replacing soon.

many thanks in advance for your time/replies,

Adam

PS happy new year!

Hi Adam

I have just done mine a few weeks ago on a 250 - replaced both which was really easy to do. I would assume they are the same as the 220 ...?

I managed to free up the ones I took from my car also which, with a bit of heat and WD40, freed up real easy so I have a spare set now.

Have a go yourself as its not a hard job to do and will give you an insight on how they work also (the slide pins do need greasing up on a regular basis - not done in the service schedule I don't think). Two bolts will remove the caliper from the car - I found on both of mine that it wasn't the removable slide pin that had seized but the carrier pin which is fixed to the carrier.

When sourcing new calipers on these be aware that there are a couple of different parts I have found that fit the same year. You will need the code from the caliper that's stamped on the unit itself - either 10 R 43 or 18 L 43

The R & L donates left or right - I don't know what the numbers correspond to but you want to match what you have on the car (either L or R) to what you order (that is if you do order them and not repair)

Thanks for the prompt response newbie,

Unfortunately I won't be undertaking the work myself, will leave it to the professionals! The garage were of the view that it is very likely that the pins could be released with heat/wd40 as you say but given this problem appears to be well documented and a lot of members have had the work corrected by lexus FOC I just wanted to get some thoughts on approaching lexus first before deciding to go ahead with local garage. Thanks for the info re;carrier pins.

I purchased the car privately and all the service documents and few bits done under warranty/recalls we're included but nothing relating to this. I bought the car when it had 50k on the clock currently approaching 70k

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on this issue...

spoke with lexus dealership on few occasions who confirmed they did replace the rear calipers FOC under warranty but was not done under a recall. They would only replace FOC had the car been less than 6 years old and under 60k miles. I was out on both counts.

Was quoted c£350 for brand new set of rear callipers but the workshop manager was aware of this issue and mentioned at the time Toyota manufactured a new part when calipers were changed and they had one final set in stock which they were running down-after some hard negotiation I managed to get both calipers for £130!

Car went in this morning to local garage this morning and the rear calipers, break discs and pads were all changed successfully. All in it cost me £350 which I'm very pleased with considering what I could have ended up paying-the mechanic couldn't believe I picked up both calipers original parts for £130.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I purchased my 59 plate 220d in July 2011 and it has only covered 31k. I put it in for service at Jemca Sidcup this week and on a 'Visual safety report/Estimate' they say the rear calipers are seized and quoting £141 plus VAT to cure it.

In view of the above, with this being a known acknowledged issue and my car under 5 years old with 31k on it, should Lexus be freeing them up and replacing whatever is necessary FOC rather than trying to charge me for it?

Hi Ian,

Based on my conversations with the guys at lexus manchester I would expect them to replace yours FOC as you are within both of the criteria they outlined to me to get the work done under warranty.

I would ask what work they are actually going to undertake for the price quoted. I decided to replace both rear callipers completely due to the sliding pin design issue. At the time I was being advised the pins could be released but they could seize again in the future so I just replaced them and had no issues since. I usually don't settle for 'quick fix' options when it comes to my car not at least with the brakes!!

If you want my opinion do not settle for anything other than Lexus replacing both rear callipers completely FOC under warranty! Keep us posted

Adam

Unfortunately the car is not under warranty but the opinion that I put forward to Jemca is that it is an acknowledged stock problem that the car has when it leaves the factory, therefore warranty is rather irrelevant. and they should do it anyway. They didn't agree with this and now I must phone Lexus to see what they say about it. I can replace the calipers myself for about £200, using new parts, but I don't see why I should have to do that.

I was in the same position and had the same conversation with a few of their staff. Unfortunately they were not entertaining anything which I was very disappointed with the only saving grace was that I was able to pick up both rear callipers for £130 after some hard negotiation.

Spoke to Lexus and I think the fact it has only done 31K is acting in my favour. They called the dealer and the service manager then spoke to me and says he is looking into it. He is aware that there is a modified caliper design.

Haven't heard anything negative yet.

Just had a call from the service manager. This 5 year/60K miles thing is a new-ish bulletin by all accounts. As my car is 4 1/2 with only 31K on it they are going to do it FOC and it is already booked in for new calipers with a CT200H as a loaner.

• 7 months later...

Just going to jump in on this, my rear Calipers have also seized the dealer I got the car from has ordered two new calipers for me but my own machanic is going to be doing the work as I live a bit of a distance from the dealer.

Just one question, the guy that is doing the work told me he could get the pins out the rear calipers without damaging the caliper.

He said if you get someone to get them out you might get away with just replacing the pin else you will need to replace the caliper and housing.

So I am to pick up the new calipers tomorrow for an IS 220D 2006 will it come with the housing? I am not quite sure what is meant by housing, my dealer reckons yes it should be the whole thing but he did not seem to know himself.

Thanks,

James

Hi James,

When I took my vehicle to my own mechanic he advised that he could try to get the pins out (and just replace the pins) but he was unwilling to do this as he said there was a risk of the callipers being damaged and wanted to me to sign a disclaimer if I wanted to go down that route (which I decided against)

You could just get the pins replaced but I was recommended to replace the entire calliper as they could seize again. The new callipers I ordered were the 'new design' that Lexus replaced free of charge under warranty so I just got the entire thing replaced as I intend to keep the car in the near future.

When I ordered the callipers they came on their own and I had to order the 'fitting kit' separately - this was all the pins, nuts, bolts etc - they didn't come with the calliper. I think they could be referring to the fitting kit as the 'housing' - to complete my job they needed new callipers and fitting kit. I also replaced my brake pads as well

Hope that helps,

Adam

Hey Adam,

No they said I need the fitting kit also, with the pins etc that part i knew.

So Fitting kit + caliper + housing.

I am actually just off the phone to the machanic the dealer is going to phone him directly, the machanic said it is the part that holds the caliper to the car also.

I will find out shortly what it is.

Thanks,

James

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just want to come back to this as it is still not fixed.

Today I brought, new calipers, fitting kit, flange bolt pins and slider but agin the guy explained.

"The Part the rear break pad sits on" the housing is seized.

I did not bring it in so that is as much info as I have.

I did see another post where someone did make mention of the slider in the caliper housing has seized.

I phoned Toyota and he has e-mailed the garage but I am still no wiser to exactly what this part is.

• 1 year later...

Erm... to change the rear pads, you dont need to take the caliper off...

You remove the two retention springs, you slide the two metal pins out and there you have it, pads slide out. You may have to use a screwdriver/pry to compress the brake cylinder back a bit for the new pads but that's about it. 

4 hours ago, RoddysLexusLife said:

Erm... to change the rear pads, you dont need to take the caliper off...

You remove the two retention springs, you slide the two metal pins out and there you have it, pads slide out. You may have to use a screwdriver/pry to compress the brake cylinder back a bit for the new pads but that's about it. 

You're commenting on a two year old thread who's issues may have been resolved. :lol

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/6/2014 at 4:31 PM, Adam123 said:

I was in the same position and had the same conversation with a few of their staff. Unfortunately they were not entertaining anything which I was very disappointed with the only saving grace was that I was able to pick up both rear callipers for £130 after some hard negotiation.

Hi Adam, is the price of £130 including VAT?

Thanks

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Well they may have been back in 2014 🙂

Hi Adam,

Many thanks for your answer. As the rear left caliper slide pin of my car is seized, do you have any method to unseized it? otherwise, the caliper can not be taken out and can not be replaced.

I have contacted with lexus dealer for the new caliper, they quoted both rear calipers for £128+VAT, which is for calipers only, not includes the carrier. If the caliper can not be unseized, only buying calipers is useless.