Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Happy New Year Guys! Need Some Help!

Happy new year to all

Need a bit of advice. When i start my car when its cold the belts are squeeking. My mate told me while the cars running spray the belts with WD40. Ive done that and it works but when i stop and the cars cold again they start squeeking again. I was thinking about greasing the belt runners. Is that a bad or good call and will that solve my problem? Or will that worsen it by making the belts slide off?

Thanks in advance guys.

It could be the belt,is it fairly new/in good condition?

A common problem on the LS400 is bearing wear to the belt tensioner and/or idler pulley but unsure if the IS has a similar set up, they certainly squeal when cold but once warmed up are fine.

Again based on the LS the actual bearings are replaceable for a few pounds instead of the whole unit.

A good diagnostic tool for accurately locating the source of the noise is an auomotive stethoscope available at parts shops for a few pounds. Obviously take care with moving parts when using.

Thanks Steve . Im going to assume its a similar set up. The belt thas squeeking the most is the altonator belt and thats the newest, i had it replaced in july. Im not much of a handyman with cars as im scared to touch the wrong thing. If i bring it to a mechanic how much do u think that would cost me roughly?

Not sure if the noise was there before the alternator belt was changed but It might be worth checking the belt isn't too tight.

As far garage costs, if you have one you use regularly I'm sure they would look at it free of charge, obviously anything needs doing it would be their hourly rate plus parts.

Non franchised garages rates vary but your looking at £35.00 an hour upward.

I'm not sure what Lexus hourly rate is but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the answer.

"v" belts sequel if they or the pulley are worn or not tensioned correctly.Spraying with WD 40 will only make it worse in the long term as it is a lubricant,and will make your belts hard and brittle.You could purchase a proper belt dressing spray which would help as a quick cure.Best advice is to have the belts removed and inspected,with an eye on renewing. Good Motoring GCJH

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links