Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Electrical Problem, Charging/battery Related?

Bren Fallon

During normal driving today my '94 LS400 abruptly developed a drastic electrical fault. All electrical systems gave the impression of a very nearly flat Battery, the engine did remain running and the following things happened:

• The display went from normal to dim.
  • Most of the warning lights came on (Battery, oil, engine warning etc)
  • Outside temp display reading went haywire.
  • Wipers very slow.
  • Lack of power.
  • External lights dim.

Obviously this points to a flat Battery as you would of course say, but the fault started immediately and while driving. The car has always started normally, is in regular use and has had no prior Battery problems. I was able to continue driving to a safer place to stop, when I did and put it in Park the idle speed was hunting up and down around the 1500 rpm range. Checked belts and all visually O.K, I limped home (anxiously before rush hour and darkness) with signs of the Battery growing flatter all the time.

I have never encountered a Battery collapse happening while in use so I'm wavering between that or an alternator failure and the fault becoming apparent when the system voltage dropped below a critical point. Has anyone experienced a similar fault?

A further add to this I've just remembered, any information on disabling the radio security code would be gratefully accepted before disconnecting Battery. On looking through the posts I see a lot about leaking PAS fluid on to the alternator which is something I have had for a while so my thoughts are leading in that direction

When my alternator went kaput ( my Mk1 J reg ) theses things happened ( PAS pump oil had dripped for ever onto the alternator and scuppered it eventually ) and I was recovered from the M2............. years ago now but I remember it.

Or maybe the Battery is time expired ................... have the cells checked out if you can.

Otherwise I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise.

Malc

Happened to me years ago almost identical symptoms on a Ford Granada, the alternator belts were slipping, allowing the Battery to slowly discharge.[ Lights on heater,wipers etc]

I reckon the classic ps fluid in the alternator or complete Battery failure

Previous owner may have set a code, which you need to know and how to enter it.[owners handbook]

Get it wrong 5 times and it's a dealer job to get it working again

Easy, Alternator has broken down and not fully charging the Battery to run the car systems.

Cause normally is leak of power steering fluid into the alternator burning out the bushes one in it.

NEW ALTERNATOR and Re charge the Battery to see if it's not toast from the drain of the alternator breakdown or otherwise you'll need both.

Baz.

Yes it's is the alternator, I had this same issues on one of my older ls400, I got another alternator supplied and fitted from a Japanese breaker for £40, and all was sorted

Local Auto Electricians price to renew brushes, slip rings and rotor, wash out and re-assemble alternator is £75 + VAT. He tells me the rest is fine and probably get another couple of years at least, so it could last either me or the car out.
POS O ring is £3.04 from Lexus, so it's a cheaper job than anticipated.

When I called local Toyota dealer for the O ring (Tues afternoon) he told me "If you order it now it will be in Thursday morning, but if you order it in the morning it will be here the same day" Needless to say the suggestion he take the details and then order it the following morning was lost on him.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links