Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200. Upgrading To 4 Pots. What Do I Need?

rufus36

I want to upgrade the front brakes of my is200 to 4 pot calipers and bigger discs, or retain standard discs.

I've read bits and pieces about twin turbo Supra conversions so that would seem to be the best option.

Are the Supra calipers fitted to any other models?

Basically, what is the most cost effective way of doing it?

Talk to me people!!!! ;)

In any case, I believe you need adapters to mount the Supra TT front brake calipers fit your stock calipers onto the bigger 323mm UK spec Supra discs. Sprinter2012 had these adapters for sale not too long ago on here (or OJC... can't remember).

Edited by LexIS200Sport

Admittedly the front brakes are pretty good in standard trim, but the sliders on one of my calipers are completely shot.

I'm told by my mechanic that its a better plan to replace the pair rather that just to do one?

So looking at ballpark figures;

2 x recon calipers = £240

or

2 x used TT supra 4 pots = about the same

Surely if its a fairly straight forward upgrade its better to go that way than just replace the standard stuff?

Also, i'd be lying if i said i like keeping things standard ; )

if the Supra 4 pots don't suffer from the 'seized' caliper syndrome like the stock IS calipers then might save you £'s in the long run. I would just forget 4 pot and fit grooved type performance front discs and run them with say brembo or Ferodo pads all round... I recon the stock calipers on the IS are very effective.

4 pots are tempting because they don't have sliders so there is only the limeted chance of a piston seizing to contend with which is far less likely.

I'm sure there are other/better calipers that will bolt straight on with minor fettling its just a question of finding out which ones.

Without actually having one in my hands to offer up its impossible to say, but older(classic shape) imprezza calipers are a very similar size and shape to standard IS200 ones but thay are 4 pots/pistons.

I hopefully will be able to offer one u soon to see how they look

Well my mechanic said replacing the calipers is not something you do in pairs so I replaced my only seized caliper and everything is fine, other old caliper still holding up touch wood and until it gives up im leaving it, admittidly i was going though a bit of a rough patch my finances at the time, but im glad i didnt because a year later its still fine. My brakes are already loads better from just replacing one caliper too! so if you did all four i reckon it would perform to your expectations.

Ide agree with noby, get some nice grooved discs, performance pads and paint the calipers and they will look the biz. The brakes on the IS200 are overkill already imo, not complaining of course, the car is over engineered in many ways but at the end of the day its a small car with a small engine, heck my brakes are bigger on my IS200 than my Dads MG ZT-T which is alot bigger and more powerful

4 pots are tempting because they don't have sliders so there is only the limeted chance of a piston seizing to contend with which is far less likely.

I'm sure there are other/better calipers that will bolt straight on with minor fettling its just a question of finding out which ones.

Without actually having one in my hands to offer up its impossible to say, but older(classic shape) imprezza calipers are a very similar size and shape to standard IS200 ones but thay are 4 pots/pistons.

I hopefully will be able to offer one u soon to see how they look

Didnt read this comment. your original question makes more sense now. not a bad idea. maybe you try it and let us all know ;)

All those things are great, but if the calipers are shot will make no difference at all.

I'll get it done and report back when i've finished :shifty:

Hi, I have already supra calipers on my Lexus and I can tell you there will not be any benefit if you have not done any major upgrades to your car, unless if you use in track oftern or brake hard continuously from 100mph! Supra calipers are great but not worh with no power upgrades. OEM brakes are very good especially if you follow the suggestions above. Bear in mind the supra calipers are quite bulky so you will need spacers or wheels with an ofset near 30

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links