Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Annoying Knocking Noise From Driver Side Front Wheel

Hi guys, I started a topic a few weeks back in the sub forums but I had no response.

So basically for a couple of months now my car has been suffering a really annoying knocking sound from the front driver side wheel, it only happens when I go over bumps, humps dips etc, I've changed a number of things, I've changed the top mount, ARB bushes and drop links, upper wishbone with ball joint and the lower ball joints but the noise still hasn't gone!

Has anyone had this problem or know what the problem is? I've spent over £270 on parts alone for a problem that's still not cured!

Please help me! Thanks

I was hoping no would say its the shock absorber, when I changed the top mount I didn't notice anything abnormal with the shock, there were no noises or leaks when I depressed the rod, but I still had my suspicions, they're not cheap!

So you think its the shock? Is it a common fault?

I doubt that anyone, based on what you have posted, can diagnose reliably whether or not your shock absorbers are to blame but, according to your profile, your car is a 2006 model, and if it is still on the orginal shock absorbers there is a good chance that they are well past their best. Depressing the rods may not provide enough of a load to show up a fault. Are the shock absorbers identical so that they can fit on either side and are they reasonably easy to remove/refit? If so, and you want to make sure that one is at fault before a substantial cash outlay on new ones, you could try swapping them round. If the noise changes to the left side, then it would be clear that the shock absorbers were at fault. There's nothing worse than buying very expensive parts to cure a problem only to find that it wasn't the cure you hoped for.

From my understanding the shocks are sided due to a bracket that holds the abs sensor wire, it still may be possible to swap them over temporary for a test drive so I may just give that a go, however if it still carries on what on earth can it be? I've been reading around and found something about the splash guard bracket breaking off but not sure if it applies to my model as I cant see this on my car either way I haven't properly looked.

http://m.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650637

You have probably tried this but if the noise is loud enough have you tried "bouncing" the two front corners up and down while the cars stationery by pushing each down as if testing the shocks out - its possible you can narrow the noise down to a specific area?

I would have to agree with Jonny and Micheal above - its a hard thing to diagnose especially when you cant replicate the noise when stationary.

It does sound like shocks though and I do seem to remember someone posting something along the same lines on this form a while ago - it may have been for an is200 or a 250 (not sure) it was something about old shocks producing the noise (knocking) due to I think air dampners within the shock unit, I think???

Try a search on this on the forum for this ....

Agreed I can't hear or see anything while the vehicle is stationary, it's a bloody nightmare to diagnose, I will however have a search on the forums see if I can find anything. If not then I'll probably just leave it until something falls lol.

Cheers for advice guys.

On both the UK and US Lexus Owner Club sites, there is a number of threads dealing with shock absorbers and knocking sounds from the front. Here's a typical post; it refers to an Rx400 but the symptoms literally sound like the issue you have reported.

"Last July [2007] I bought a Lexus RX 400h in trying to experience “the pursuit of perfection”. I noticed immediately that the suspension of my car was making an unusual sound (knocking noise), when the car was driven over small humps or small potholes at low speed. The dealer for nearly three months was trying to discover what the cause of such a noise is. They changed many parts including shock absorbers, top mounts and bushes. They tried hard to find the problem and had to call a mechanic from Lexus Europe who came to inspect the car. After thorough testing they came into the conclusion that the noise is coming from the inner valve of the shock absorbers and they said it is not dangerous. They gave this in writing. They also tested many new cars and some were making this noise while others were not. Is your car making such a noise when driven at low speed (>25 mph) over small humps? I would greatly appreciate your answers. Thank you. "

Here's another, perhaps slightly more reassuring post - this time about an IS200:

"Hi all,

Further to my earlier post about a strange knocking noise coming from my front wheels, I have been to my Lexus dealer for help.

The noise comes from a valve in the shock absorber opening & closing, nothing to worry about. It's not a great design but I understand it affects the is200 and has been a widespread problem.

If you have had this noise, I hope reading this will help, it is not a big fault.

Thanks to those who suggested possible problems with brake pins / calipers & ball joints but these were not at fault. Thanks also to Lexus Cardiff for their attention on this matter, I had great service from them.

Cheers. "

John_B_89, I would caution against placing too much reliance on the posts I have quoted as your problem might not be the same one. I would suggest that you send a personal message to the poster of the IS200 message and perhaps discuss your fault with him. It might be worth asking him for a contact at Lexus Cardiff so that you can discuss it with an expert. If your problem turns out to be the same, then you can breath a sigh of relief and maybe make it loud enough to drown out the knocking noise!

So even though the shocks were changed it still made the noise?? I'm I right in thinking that? So basically its a poor design fault?

I am now on my third IS250 and none of them have made any knocking noise (silent prayer that I am not tempting fate!). I've also driven various IS250's as loaners when my car has been in for servicing and, again, never experienced any knocking. This suggests that the problem associated with shock absorbers is not very common. I am therefore surprised that the RX400 owner still had the problem after the shock absorbers were changed. On the other hand, maybe RX400 shock absorbers are more prone to the problem than those used in other models, or that the problem becomes more pronounced with mileage (everything I have driven has been very low mileage).

Well my car is currently at 102k and its a 2006 model so it well could be the shock, I think I'll leave it for now as they're not cheap and wait till I find one off eBay for fairly cheap off a low mileage younger IS, the car drivers fine and seems stable and I hope it stays that way as my mrs drives the car a lot with my baby daughter, I've spoken to lexus @ edgeware and they said they wont be able to tell over the phone and suggested I book in for a check up which cost £80!! That's a steal, I don't take my cars to the garage or dealer I do all the work myself.

Bratman91 you've been an amazing help mate really appreciate it.

• 3 years later...