Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has Anyone Run An Aerial To The Centre Storage Compartment?

Hi,

In anticipation of impending ownership (IS250) I'mm looking into a few mods I'll want to do.

In my current car I have a Pure DAB radio connected via an Aux input.

I'd like to do same in the IS.

The centre storage comp looks ideal with the 12v supply and aux socket. But I'm wondering how best to route an aerial cable to it.

In my current set up I have a stick on screen aerial. But to improve reception I'd ideally like to look at external.

If anyone has any experience or suggestions they'd be most welcome.

Thanks.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I did a DAB install over Xmas, using a Pure 300di as the unit.

I used a interior windscreen aerial (this one) on the passenger-side, the cable tucked neatly into the A-pillar trim down to the dashboard, then between the A-pillar and the dashboard, down the far left-side of the dash (there is an access panel that pops off to do this), then tucked into the top of the passenger footwell carpet before entering the centre console between the carpet and the dashboard and then comes out underneath the ashtray. From there I installed the master-unit in the void under the centre-console panel (the bit that surrounds the gear-stick), there is LOADS of room in there. I placed the control-unit on the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel, just underneath the drivers side vent.

For power, I temporarily removed the Lexus stereo and tapped-in to the wires there, this gave me a permanent 12V, an ignition-switched 12V and a ground. I dropped the wires under the ashtray and into the center-console void.

I've fitted a few car stereos in my time, and would rate the fitting as being reasonably easy. It looks pretty stock too, nothing is on-show other than the control unit, no visible wires anywhere.

At the time, I wanted to remove the center storage compartment so that I could drill a hole in the bottom of it and run the USB-extension into it (the 300di allows MP3 playback from a USB-stick). However I couldn't figure out (or find documentation) on how to remove it. Since then I have found some instructions on how to remove it, I'll dig them out and post them shortly.

After all that, results were very disappointing. The Windscreen aerial just wasn't good enough. In my previous two cars I fitted DAB and used a windscreen-mount external aerial in one and a FM-DAB aerial converter in the other and the results were perfectly acceptable. With the interior aerial there were just far too many dropouts.

Also, I think the Pure 300DI is crap. It was fine for DAB, but the USB MP3 playback was hopeless. Every time I got in the car it would forget what I'd previously been listening to and I've had to reselect the song. Stupid.

For the time being I've ripped the whole lot out and took it back for a refund. I'm not sure what to do next, I might by a cheaper DAB-only unit and just hide it completely in the centre-panel void (I only listen to one station so I don't need to touch the controls) and fit a exterior windscreen aerial to the top left corner of the windscreen, kinda ugly though.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That will be very helpful.

I have the original Pure Highway in my current car. Like you I only use it for one station (BBC 6 Music) and its tucked away in my glovebox.

I won't need or indeed be able to use USB.

I too have a screen mount aerial at the moment but its been fine. Occasionally on longer trips I've suffered some drop outs but on my regular routes its pretty solid.

Lexus don't have any technology or coatings in their glass do they? I've heard there can be problems with the Ford group heated screens where the wire mesh interferes. But I believed that was under patent so only available in Ford group cars.

I need to look into aerial options more deeply but I certainly don't want a magnetic one coming out through the door seal.

What is the current aerial set up on the IS?

Chris

Hi Chris, I got a Pure Highway hidden in the centre box in my GS450h,omly a pain when station change is required!

I bought a screen mounted proper aerial which bonds to each side of the glass and uses a steel mast of about 300mm, works quite well, couldn't fit it to rear screen as mine has a sun blind, and much better than the stick on one but I find the Lexus FM aerial all but useless and so am looking at fitting a dual powered aerial to the roof. Mine was supplied by a company called DAB on wheels, great choice but no phone advice.

Tony's aerial sounds like the one I used on a previous car, it was this one. If I go ahead with DAB again in the IS, I will use it again I think.

Do you know which aerial you had Chris? I don't think there are any treatments on the windscreen, only the strip where the wipers park is heated.

The FM aerial is just the heated rear screen element so it's pretty hopeless.

Guest bigbullhead

I have the Alpine EZI-DAB it has an aerial that is transparent and sticks on the front windscreen also I have a USB fitted to to my I phone and it shows the music playing on the iPod so it has multi uses which makes it a very good product and I would not be without it now :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links