Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Overly Firm Ride And Seats

Just had a 24 hour test drive in an IS300h Luxury. After a brief test drive last summer and having followed all the positive comments from owners, l was fully expecting to place an order. Sadly I've decided against it and so l guess I'll be keeping my 2009 IS250 for another year.

First the positives: Most significant is the brilliant hybrid/CVT power train which is ultra-smooth, quiet and I got 45 to 50 mpg without trying. I cannot understand why a lot of motoring journalists think the CVT whines or lacks acceleration. Also I think it's an easy and enjoyable car to drive and so I can't see why some criticise the steering for lack of feel or the brakes for being difficult to operate smoothly. The sport/normal drive mode settings provide a great means of configuring the engine responsiveness to requirement or your mood. It also seemed easier to place on the road than my IS2 and, partly became the camera is clearer, I found it easier to reverse.

I didn't hear any rattles but on rough roads there was some noise that might have been the passenger seat leather rubbing against plastic trim. Certainly nothing of concern and I only noticed it because l knew some owners had reported problems.

After a little practice I found the mouse reasonably easy to use and it's good that full UK postcodes are now included in the nav system. Voice input of destination addresses was good but I didn't find a way of entering destination by postcode using voice commands which, if true, seems an odd omission. Directions output on the two screens and audio were better than on the IS2 nav system although the pronunciation of street names was often odd! Searching for traffic information was slow and it wasn't always obvious whether the system was waiting for data or if there were no traffic incidents to report. However, because I don't have the RDC traffic option on my IS2, I might not have been using it correctly and also I didn't have a Lexus connected services account. The current speed limit readout on the new screen is another nice improvement although I did find a couple of places where the data was out of date.

The quality of the boot hinge covers, a few bits of interior trim and the interior lighting are retrograde steps compared to the standard set by the IS2. But these wouldn't bother me especially as I think alternatives such as the BMW 3 are worse.

The only thing that stopped me from ordering an IS300h Premier was the overly firm ride and seats which only became apparent after a longer test drive. I do have occasional back trouble but my other half also said she found the seats and ride uncomfortably hard. The test car had over 7000 miles on the clock so I would have thought any initial new car firmness should have worn off. My IS250 is certainly more comfortable which, given the older age demographic of UK Lexus owners, seems a big mistake for the IS3 designers to have made. I wonder if the ride will be improved in a facelift to the IS3 or if some adjustable shock absorbers or softer springs will become available on the after market.

So I've decided to hang onto my IS2 at least until the IS 300h RC is launched. The RC looks very interesting, especially the interior improvements and I only hope it'll be more comfortable and that the sporting aspirations of the Lexus marketing guys will be reserved for the RC-F. An alternative I might consider is the new Mercedes C class, due in March, which will have the option of air suspension. However, my brother's C class has needed quite a lot of warranty work. If I find I don’t like the RC, I might then consider a GS 450h especially as one year old low mileage examples can now be had for less money than I was expecting to splash on a new IS300h. The GS is a quality car and l guess it'd ride well but it's a bigger car than I need and I'd want a test drive to see if I'd find it a little cumbersome. Maybe at 61 I've reached an age where I'll have to accept a compromise along these lines, time for a beer to console myself!!

The ride wont change much, however, the car is probably running on Bridgestone RE040 tires which may have an impact on the ride quality. There isnt much you can do about the suspension however.

As for the seats, I think they feel different for everyone. Personally, the seats fit me like a glove and im 6 ft 1. However, there have been a few people complaining that the seats are too small, it all does depend on the build of the person.

The GS450h is awesome and does not feel cumbersome at all. Its planted and is a quality piece of kit!

Hi Rayaan,

You're right it did have Bridgestone tyres but they were Turanzas which I don't think are RE040s?

What I don't understand is why Lexus don't design suspension like Jaguar and Ford who mostly seem to produce cars that are comfortable and handle well. For example, I recently drove a Ford Focus ST which was very impressive. With the F Sport variant in the model range surely there is scope for the IS Luxury and Premier to have a much more compliant ride quality. Or alternatively with modern technology like adjustable shock absorbers or air suspension Lexus could make extra profit by offering these as options.

In terms of shape and size the seats are good for me too, I'm 5'11" and of reasonably slim build. My problem was with the lack of give or padding coupled with the firm suspension on our increasingly poor roads. I guess the increasing number of pot holes and speed bumps directly correlates with the growth in sales of 4x4s.

I'm interested in your comments about the GS450h. My motoring does include parking in some tight spaces and c15% of my mileage is on narrow roads in places like Cornwall. How do you think the GS would be in this type of environment? I guess it'll be a matter of personal preference but if I find neither the RC or the new Merc C Class are suitable, I could be seriously tempted by a nearly new GS450h which now seem a lot of car for the money.

Roger - I had exactly the same experience. 1.5 days into a 3 day drive and the car went back - due to hard suspension and seat comfort (or lack thereof). IS 300h F Sport. Wasn't sure about the hard plaggy centre console either.

The GS is supremely comfortable.....compared to the new IS incredible value for money now! It feels big though, but the Adaptive suspension takes that wallowiness out. It's worth looking at. Especially the GS 450h Premiere. Go drive one and you'll see it's a much more premium product (i.e. choice of materials and general feel). The parking aids (sensors and camera) make it a doddle to park.

In other parts of the world it beats the germans in tests....

Hi Jonas, Having checked out a GS in the showroom I certainly agree with you about the high quality materials. It's the big car feel which is currently putting it down at 3rd on my list.

I've just been searching out more details and photos of the Lexus RC and the new Merc C Class. Both look interesting. The front of the RC looks a little OTT but might be better in the flesh and the interior looks more upmarket and the centre console ergonomics seem an improvement over the IS3. Air suspension on the Merc could be excellent and while the interior looks much better than the current C Class, the Nav screen looks like an afterthought.

Because I'm really taken with the Lexus hybrid system, I'll check out the Infiniti Q50 when I'm next near St Albans. However, it seems it'd be a high risk choice and from photos it doesn't seem an attractive design.

Roger

(quote) I'm interested in your comments about the GS450h. My motoring does include parking in some tight spaces and c15% of my mileage is on narrow roads in places like Cornwall. How do you think the GS would be in this type of environment? I guess it'll be a matter of personal preference but if I find neither the RC or the new Merc C Class are suitable, I could be seriously tempted by a nearly new GS450h which now seem a lot of car for the money.

The RC is the same width as the GS but 155mm shorter

I would be very surprised if you liked the Q50. It drives like a boat and the hybrid system feels slightly weird, cant really explain why but it feels alien. BTW something I noticed when testing the Q50 is that the steering is rubbish! You have to constantly keep turning it to get it to go round a corner. Sounds silly I know but it requires a lot of adjustment, rather like driving a go kart.

Another thing Ive noticed about the reviews on Lexus cars is that journalists always seem to put the car down. I felt the GS450h was amazing! I would buy one, but i need the extra space because I have 3 kids but its far superior to the 5 series or the E class.

Hi Rayaan,

Thanks you've confirmed what I suspected about the Q50.

From what I've seen and heard about the GS450h I think it is a fantastic car but just a bit too big for me. I'm going to hang onto my IS2 and wait until the IS 300h RC coupe and Mercedes W205 C Class are launched later this year. But if neither are suitable then a GS will be my backup alternative.

I suppose it's possible Lexus might do something to improve the ride or seats in the IS300h saloon. However, any change would probably be too late for me as I guess it won't come before a mid-life update c2016 because Lexus generally seem to limit the number of changes they make during the life of a model. For example, although the CT200 was widely criticised for it's hard ride, revised suspension settings have only recently been introduced.

I do think that the AVS should have been standard on the F Sport. That would have made a serious difference I think in how I found the car.

The seats are snug, but being not that tall I found that Lumbar bit was too high for my back and I couldn't get comfortable. I've driven both older and newer CT200h's and the improvement in ride is very marginal - not enough to have made it significantly better. The strange thing is that most owners think it's fine...but I have to say I agree with the Journo's - it's pretty hard! If you want a car that rides and handles really well, look no further than the Mark 6 VW Golf. That is what I would call perfect...(not tried the Mk7 but by all accounts that is even better).

I have already decided that I will downsize in the future - and the new C Class looks pretty cool.

I do think that the AVS should have been standard on the F Sport. That would have made a serious difference I think in how I found the car.

The seats are snug, but being not that tall I found that Lumbar bit was too high for my back and I couldn't get comfortable. I've driven both older and newer CT200h's and the improvement in ride is very marginal - not enough to have made it significantly better. The strange thing is that most owners think it's fine...but I have to say I agree with the Journo's - it's pretty hard! If you want a car that rides and handles really well, look no further than the Mark 6 VW Golf. That is what I would call perfect...(not tried the Mk7 but by all accounts that is even better).

I have already decided that I will downsize in the future - and the new C Class looks pretty cool.

I think the OP was referring to the the brand new 2014 CT200h, which has had quite a few modifications made to the chassis and suspension to improve the ride as well as other interior/exterior modifications

I think the OP was referring to the the brand new 2014 CT200h, which has had quite a few modifications made to the chassis and suspension to improve the ride as well as other interior/exterior modifications

Cool!! No wonder!!

Cool!! No wonder!!

It honestly looks rather flashy. Shame it comes with that incompetent engine! Needs the 250 in there or possibly the 200t in the future and it would definitely be forced upon my wife ha!