Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why Doesn't Lexus Sell In The Uk?

Hi everyone!

I'm from Australia and I frequent the Australian/American Lexus forums as they have quite a bit more activity than they do here but I am genuinely curious as to why there aren't a lot of Lexus sales in the UK. I like to post links from UK sites showing Lexus' top positioning in reliability, owner satisfaction, build quality, etc. but it still doesn't look like they sell that much in comparison to its german rivals over there?

Lexus took out best manufacturer in 2013: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/driver-power/63991/best-manufacturer-2013

The IS also came #2 in technology and build quality too: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/driver-power/63992/category-winners

Fuel in UK is more expensive. It's 2-2.5 times more expensive than USA/Australia. People want fuel efficient cars and Lexus didn't make any until recently. There is a big market for diesel cars here and although Lexus tried with the IS220d it had too many flaws.

The IS300H is better suited to the European market and is more likely to get Lexus some recognition here but it will take time. The car is too fresh at the moment.

German cars. People over here have a perception that vag cars are superior in every way. When you look at a lexus and the cost is equal to a merc, bmw, audi etc people don't see why they should buy a lexus

Most motorists don't research cars the way we do.

Stu

I don't think it's superiority. Most german car drivers will say that a Lexus is extremely well made. I think it's because 80-90% of new exec cars are sold as company cars, and historically the Germans have had lower emissions and therefore have made more financial sense. Things could finally start to change though; both the IS300h and the (recently launched) GS300h currently have the lowest CO2.

The problem is though that most company cars trundle motorways, and thats where Hybrids are not as efficient (and drivers know that). Also, whilst the GS and IS might have low CO2 now, the germans will overtake them soon, and Lexus historically have been slow in keeping on top of that particular thing.

It's probably also due to the likes of Germanry Clarkson who goes on and on about how wonderful German cars are, and constantly slags off Japanese cars. And because people can't think for themselves, they seem to take notice of him. Just as well they don't do the same with his fashion sense!

I don't think it's superiority. Most german car drivers will say that a Lexus is extremely well made. I think it's because 80-90% of new exec cars are sold as company cars, and historically the Germans have had lower emissions and therefore have made more financial sense. Things could finally start to change though; both the IS300h and the (recently launched) GS300h currently have the lowest CO2.

The problem is though that most company cars trundle motorways, and thats where Hybrids are not as efficient (and drivers know that). Also, whilst the GS and IS might have low CO2 now, the germans will overtake them soon, and Lexus historically have been slow in keeping on top of that particular thing.

I know if people looking for cars who wouldn't buy a lexus because it is jap.

Hi everyone!

I'm from Australia and I frequent the Australian/American Lexus forums as they have quite a bit more activity than they do here but I am genuinely curious as to why there aren't a lot of Lexus sales in the UK. I like to post links from UK sites showing Lexus' top positioning in reliability, owner satisfaction, build quality, etc. but it still doesn't look like they sell that much in comparison to its german rivals over there?

Lexus took out best manufacturer in 2013: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/driver-power/63991/best-manufacturer-2013

The IS also came #2 in technology and build quality too: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/driver-power/63992/category-winners

Badge snobbery and a motoring press that puts reliability at the bottom of the list (they aren't picking up the bills!).

It's probably also due to the likes of Germanry Clarkson who goes on and on about how wonderful German cars are, and constantly slags off Japanese cars. And because people can't think for themselves, they seem to take notice of him. Just as well they don't do the same with his fashion sense!

He also says that the LFA is the best super car in the world....

When I returned to the UK after a number of years overseas, I considered a variety of cars, including the IS250, Honda Accord, BMW and Audi. I found that, in terms of equipment and features, the IS250 was the best value for money. Although the base prices of comparable BMW and Audi models were less, by the time you added on all the things that were standard in the IS250, the costs were actually more.

I am sure that the comments above on, for example, the Clarkson effect, the penchant for diesels and the company car influence are all true but another factor may well be the correlation between favourable reviews in motoring magazines and the advertisements they carry. In short, we (motoring magazine) keep on writing rave reviews about your cars, you (BMW, Audi, you name it) keep paying us to run your adverts.

I think another point would be that there is no IS350 available, we have to stick with the 250 or 300h.

A few people will go into the Lexus showroom, like the IS and then go buy a BMW 335i or a Mercedes C350. There is no IS choice for us with more than 220hp which is a shame.

• Like 1

People often talk about magazines writing good reviews about those placing ad's. If it was that simple then Lexus could just buy out all the Ad spaces...??? I don't think it's that simple.

A better model line up might help - IS350 yeah baby! Co2 would kill it though....

People often talk about magazines writing good reviews about those placing ad's. If it was that simple then Lexus could just buy out all the Ad spaces...??? I don't think it's that simple.

I agree that Lexus could, but they don't - advertisements for executive cars are dominated by Lexus rivals. This doesn't seem to be a sensible marketing strategy but I well recall trying to get an IS250 soon after they were introduced in the UK and finding that dealers across the country were saying that they could sell almost immediately any that they could get. Just this week I called in at my local Lexus dealer who said that sales were very buoyant. Perhaps Lexus are not interested in mass selling and prefer an image of selling a quality product to a discerning customer set. Having said that, there does seem to have been a move recently by Lexus to advertise more.

the simple answer is, people put MPG over reliability, value for money and performance over here whereas in the US and probably Aus reliability and build quality is there priority and is always talked about in reviews and verdicts in the motoring press. Brits dont care there cars potentially costs hundreds if not thousands to maintain and fix as long as they are doing 50+MPG nothing else matters it seems. Im not a saying that in a supportive way btw!

Also the government almost force us what to drive here by making you pay horrendous amounts of tax for even the smallest of engines. Yes the US has a gas guzzler tax however its on ACTUAL cars that have terrible MPG, such as high performance cars and high powered trucks, not a little 2.5 V6 Lexus! lol

If you think there rare in the UK go to France, Italy, Spain or any other European country, there almost unheard of. Less so Germany and Poland but still a rare sight, i see a fair amount of Lexus's driving to work, RX is probably most popular

I personally think it’s a combination of factors and this is my own opinion..

Brand name: Most in Europe opt to drive BM, Merc or Audi due to the history behind them and the whole ‘German Engineering’ cliché which makes them attractive and I found out first hand after owning a 5 series for a while their engineering wasn’t that superior as most people make it out to be when compared to Japanese equivalent. Most see it as a status symbol But I see it as every man and his dog drives a BM, Merc or Audi.

Badge Snobbery: When Toyota released the gen 1 LS, GS and IS Lexus’s, they all carried the Toyota badge in some continents even though they never drove and felt like your typical Toyota and most will automatically skip a Lexus dealership even before they test drive one and you hear most say ‘Lexus is just a Toyota’ yeh rite.. like Audi is not just a VW..

Running costs/MPG : with fuel not cheap in UK/Europe compared to say US, most in UK will opt for BM, Merc or Audi as those have invested huge in diesel technology and are perceived to be more fuel efficient which can be true if one drives on the motorway most of the time but not so much of a difference compared to petrol if one hardly does motorway driving. Most will see 50MPG printed in on the spec sheet of an Audi and think mmh very fuel efficient but forget they have paid around £5-£10K for the full spec diesel Audi compared to the equivalent full spec petrol Lexus and forget it might take them 3-5 years before they might actually start saving in running costs due to the fact that they paid more at the showroom to begin with and diesel is still sold at a higher price than petrol at the pumps. Even if one saved around £100 in road tax a year from buying a diesel car over petrol, that’s still only £500 savings over a 5 year period. Not a lot saved in terms of road tax if one paid £5-10k more to begin with.

Not fun to drive: most UK car comparison articles and websites always knock down Lexus labeling it not a fun car to drive, too refined and always trailing behind its German competition in terms of driver involvement which translates into most flocking onto mainly BMW and Audi showrooms and lets be honest BMW and Audi’s Quattro models can stick to corners like glue but the Lexus is not far off in terms of handling but its more comfortable than most if not all 3 German brands.

Advertising: I don’t think Lexus markets/advertises their models well in UK or Europe they need to know a BM, Merc or Audi will sell itself in UK due to the badge but Lexus being around for only 25years or so old still needs to market and advertise twice as hard to gain the UK/European recognition. and I also think it might be a Toyota arrogance as to why they have to put in the work if their cars are recognised in other continents like US/ Australia /Africa without them having to bend over backwards to them for sales. after all they are one of the if not the no1 car manufacture company in the world.

but once the dust settles most of us who happen to have owned or own a Lexus knows they are better than BM, Merc, Audi in many ways not just in refinement.

If you think there rare in the UK go to France, Italy, Spain or any other European country, there almost unheard of. Less so Germany and Poland but still a rare sight, i see a fair amount of Lexus's driving to work, RX is probably most popular

You are absolutely right, petayV8. Here's an extract from a post I made a couple of years ago:

"I recently drove from Cheltenham to a small town called Palmanova in North East Italy. In a journey of 1000 miles, I saw only three Lexus's (Lexi?), and none of them was an IS. The first day in Palmanova, I saw a white IS250 SEL automatic parked on the street. I drive a white IS250 SEL automatic! Cosa significa? "

Noby is right about the drive. Aus and US are very large and open lands. They want a car that will eat up the miles over thousands miles of open roads. In europe and peticulary the UK our roads are very narrow and twisty, more twisty than they need to be mist of the time

I think that John's response is spot on. There is a little bit of the unknown about Lexus compared with BMW and Audi.

My brother in law has a 5 series BMW and he swears it is the worse car he has ever owned. It has cost him a forture and when he compared it to my IS250 SE he claimed the spec levels of the Lexus where miles better and also that it was a far more comfortable and refined car than his 5 series.

People can't see past the badge, however I know mechanics who told me not to go near a user BMW or Audi because it was a certainly they would breakdown and cost thousands to fix.

The UK public seem to think that Japanese cars are great shopping cars (Mazda 2, Toyota Yaris etc) however they cannot seem to get into the mind set that Lexus with the IS (and other models) have managed to create a car which can match the undoubted crafmanship of the Germany brands but can go further by adding the reliabilty aspect which the German car makers have never quite managed to master.

I am be sure that if BMW and Audi drivers actually drove a Lexus at least 60% of them would seriously think about buying one. However to be honest I quite like the fact there are a limited number of Lexus on the UK roads, because somehow it makes you feel like you are in on a secret that most of the general population have not been made aware of yet. :ooh-ducky:

• Like 2

Ive always thought of Lexus as the brand that people discover and tend to stick with for a while. Back in 2010 when I had the RX300, one of my close friends wife loved the look of it and asked if she could take a drive. I agreed and she loved it, sold her Mercedes and bought a brand new RX450h SE-L top spec within a month.

She said it was much smoother than anything shes every driven and shes owned plenty of capable vehicles including the Mercedes ML that she had and my friend, her partner, has an X5 diesel and a Porsche 911.

A lot of people are also very impressed with my RX F Sport after seeing it and sitting in it. I don't think most people go to the Lexus dealers when they want a new car. The first thing that usually comes into their head is BMW, Audi or Mercedes.

I also agree with that ideas of lexus being far and few on the road cause it makes me feel ultra special owning one :D

I'm with you, agent_dess. My chauffeur says that a Lexus, like democracy, is far too good for ordinary people. Mind you, the rest of my servants think that he says that only because he wants to be promoted to butler. Nevertheless, it really is a nice feeling to drive a Lexus.

Having a diesel Lexus 220d , it really is not very good at all engine wise . I bought it because it wasn't a BMW or Audi and wanted to be different . Sadly it is different and is back in the dealer again on Monday for another £800 worth of work, a new EGR and a Water pump leak . Less than 36 MPG overall is also disappointing.

The hybrid IS300 looks better but I don't do much city driving so I don't do the drive cycle to suit that car .

My next car will be a Honda Accord estate , Lexus don't do an estate or a decent engine in the uk.

All in all Jap cars don't sell that well over here because they are boring and they don't do diesels that well .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links