the slide pins thinking that was the problem; it wasn’t. I guess I have a
couple of options; 1 - get a new caliper (didn't want to pay the OEM price
though), or 2- remove the piston, clean it up and renew the seals etc. If I do
a refurb can someone tell me how to remove the sticking piston? Also if I opt
for a remanufactured calliper am I likely to experience brake inbalance if I
only do one side?

Thanks for your help

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Sticking calipers seem to be a problem across the Lexus range of vehicles, the caliper pins tend to lose their chrome plating then corrosion sets in causing them eventually to seize in the guides.

With the problem you have it may be possible to remove the piston,clean the bore and then fit new seals but a positive long term result is not guaranteed.

To remove the piston it would probably be an idea to wedge the working one in with a suitable sized block of wood and then press the brake pedal to force the stuck piston out or if the caliper is off the car use compressed air to do the same.

Several members including myself have bought kits and refurbished calipers from the company on the link below, if they have stock they will do an exchange or if not will refurbish your own unit.

http://biggred.co.uk/

• Like 1

Hi Steve, thanks for your response!

I am leaning towards a re-engineered caliper and I've seen a link to this company http://www.brake-eng.com on the LOC site; do you know them? I have not been in touch with them yet but I will contact both them and bigred.

Cheers

Tried Biggred but they didn't have one on the shelf; they offered to refurb. mine but as I need the car every day I couldn't go that route. Also tried brake-eng. but they only ship to factors. Any other suggestions?

:geek:

I got a refurb and a year in and its fine. It looked bran new from the box. I couldnt source the pistons anywhere i looked everywhere. but it does make you wonder if companys like above can do it why cant we

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello there LOCs newest member. Just had my may 07 IS 250 SE-L serviced and been advised of jammed rear wheel brake caliper. They say it must be replaced and the cost is massive. This is my first issue with the car since new and now has 73k on the clock. Any kind member be good enough to shed some light/info on a recall for this in the past that I may have missed? Also, any alternative (safe) options to lower my potential bill? TVM in anticipation.

• 2 weeks later...

If you talk to a Lexus dealer, they may tell you about a deal they have - you can buy new rear calipers (complete with mounts, pins, seals, etc) for £60 a side. All ready assembled - all you need to do is bolt to the car (2 bolts, 14mm heads), connect up the hydraulic pipe, pop in the pads, bleed out - job done!

At least - I just bought two rear calipers from Lexus Stockport under that deal - was just going to order the lower pins (long story - I'd been sent the wrong ones with a kit of pins and seals from USA) whilst on my way to buy exchange calipers - cancelled that journey!

It's all very well to say 'remove the sliding pins, clean and gease etc' - one side of mine was seized so solid that I had to resort to cutting the pin with an angle grinder to save the mount at least. The other side was very difficult to get apart. And the corrosion spreads down the tube in the caliper into which the pin fits - see the Lexus TSB about the recall in USA (elsewhere on here) - they say that if that has happened - replace the caliper.

But I would agree that you should clean the pins and regrease them on a regular (annual?) basis - I've replaced my front pins and seals too.

J

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links