Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Time Lexus Owner - Is200

Jitc85

Hi All,

After years of BMW E36 ownership, I have finally purchased a IS200, last week, Unfortunately my 318iS was declared a write off so the search began for a new car. Originally I was looking for a BMW 3 Series E46 M-Sport, however I just couldn't find the right car. So I started looking at some other options, Audi A4, Mercedes C-Class, and the Lexus IS200.

IMG_6653_zpsa706c19e.jpg

In my opinion the I think the A4 is too bland, and the Mercedes is something for my retirement. The equipment levels in the IS200 blow the rivals out of the water. I've always liked the IS200 ever since it was released in 1999.

So my car, here's the spec,

- Lexus IS200 SE

- 04 Plate 2004

- Black

- 11 Spoke alloys

- Full Cream Leather

- Full Service History

- 55,000 miles

- All other IS200 refinements, apart from a front arm rest and sat nav.

First impressions are very good, I am impressed. Always been a fan of the styling, The driving position is good, and the electric seats are wonderful. Seats are supportive and comfortable, so it easy to find a suitable driving position very quickly. All round visibility is also good, parking is easier than my previous E36 Coupe. The only gripe I have, is that my car has no front arm rest. Was this an optional extra? The build quality is impressive, very well screwed together and the interior is solid. Acceleration seems a bit slow, really need to wind up the revs to get it going. Through the gears its fine, and the changes are crisp! It's goes a bit crazy after 4,000 rpm.

I love the instrument cluster in the IS200, very stylish. As for the rest of the dash, everything is laid out in a ergonomic manner, however I feel it it all a bit too untidy. There are buttons everywhere! (compared to the 318iS) Something that I will no doubt get used to.

Behind the wheel the car drives very well, the ride is not too harsh and not too soft, it's something in between. The steering is sharp and responsive, and gives good feedback. The car feels more balanced than my old BMW. The 318iS was dare I say more raw then the IS200. The engine sound and exhaust note is music to my ears, lovely grunt! Speaking of music, the sound system is excellent, crisp and clear, with a nice punchy bass.

All in all, I'm still getting used to the car, as i've only had it a week, and owning BMW's nearly all my driving life. It also likes a drink or too, brimmed the tank on Monday, 55 litres, used half a tank, and I've covered 175 miles, all around town driving.

Most of this you guys probably know already, however I thought I'd add my short review, and compare it to my previous car.

Plus Points -

- Looks

- Equipment levels

- Gearbox

Negatives -

- High fuel consumption for what it is/performance

- No front arm rest

- I much rather prefer the 5 spoke alloys, compared to the 11 spoke ones I have! Anyone fancy a swap? Haha

I hope this car gives me plenty of smiles in the future! If you have any tips for a new Lexus owner, please share!

Photos to follow soon!

Thank you!

Welcome to the club,

Sounds like a great car you have there. Look forward to seeing a pic or 2. I bet your going to get snowed under with wheel swap requests. I would have been at your door tomorrow if i still had my IS.

Enjoy the forums

Ian.

haha i so you discovered the VVTi then. yes above 4000 rpm its like a turbo kicking in, i love it too get a sudden wooosh even at high speeds. but putting that aside coming from a 4 cylinder to a straight 6 is a new experience anyway including fuel consumption! but the smoothness, torque, grunt and engine note makes it worth it

Im a bit of a nerd myself so i love the nerdyness to the interior but its not for everyone

The armrest was a costly option or only standard on IS300 and LE trim. You see them coming up used on eBay now and again but i hate to be the one to break this too you but they cost in excess of £100! i couldnt believe my ears when i found that out so i bought a universal and modified it and custom fit it. I have been told that the Fiat Stilo armrest will fit the IS200 and as a cheaper cost option but im not sure of the details on how to fit it and even the standard one is a bit of task to fit as i watched Ian on here fit one to another members car (pic below)
DSC00637_zps3b2b7b5c.jpg

And this is my custom made armrest
2013-08-13_18-43-16_911_zps996eb840.jpg

and this is the OEM armrest (not sure whos pic i stole lol)

dbo6r8.jpg

but you'll want a cream one of course. found this for you

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-IS200-99-05-Centre-Arm-Rest-Cream-Leather-Beige-Altezza-IS300-0000229288-/360830394405?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item54032ae025

BTW full cream leather? was that only on later models then? ide love to have that on mine

Just as a byline, It was i also who did the first Stilo armrest mod.

I heard it from you but didnt know you were the first. nice

No worries mate, It's amazing what you try when your bored..LOL. Worked out better than i thought it would and first one cost less than a tenner fitted.

Thanks for the replies guys! I will post some photos soon.

Yea I'm getting used to the sudden power after 4,000rpm! Nice!

Had the car just under 2 weeks now, getting used to it. Fuel economy isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've still got a 1/4 of a tank left, and I've covered 287 miles. Not bad!

As for the arm rest, I think I'll give it a miss! Haha!

I will however be looking for the 'Sport' grille and the standard 5 spoke alloys!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys! I will post some photos soon.

Yea I'm getting used to the sudden power after 4,000rpm! Nice!

Had the car just under 2 weeks now, getting used to it. Fuel economy isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've still got a 1/4 of a tank left, and I've covered 287 miles. Not bad!

As for the arm rest, I think I'll give it a miss! Haha!

I will however be looking for the 'Sport' grille and the standard 5 spoke alloys!

I have upgraded to the 5 spoke alloys and have just fitted the sport grill. It makes the car look so much nicer, just got to respray the grill, i'm going to book in for the bumper to be done too, chips and scratches . . . .

That arm rest is a tempting thing. maybe later in the year.

Hi and welcome to LOC :)

Lovely car you have. :zee:

That's my old IS, and now Davesports's that Pete has pictured with Ian (Ihgs300) fitting the armrest :)

The kick you feel at about 4000rpm isn't the vvti kicking in (sorry Pete). It doesn't work like honda vtec.

The 'kick' you feel is the ACIS (acoustic control induction system) working. Basically opens a valve in the intake at about 4000rpm.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Control_Induction_System

Anyway enjoy the car and the forum :)

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to LOC :)

Lovely car you have. :zee:

That's my old IS, and now Davesports's that Pete has pictured with Ian (Ihgs300) fitting the armrest :)

The kick you feel at about 4000rpm isn't the vvti kicking in (sorry Pete). It doesn't work like honda vtec.

The 'kick' you feel is the ACIS (acoustic control induction system) working. Basically opens a valve in the intake at about 4000rpm.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Control_Induction_System

Anyway enjoy the car and the forum :)

thanks! i stand corrected. the valve opening thing got me mixed up with the variable valve timing lol.

Funny, I prefer the 11 spokers. The 5's are too open for my liking. But I have the 18" "Aeros" which look the best, and not too open. I don't like the super-skinnies that look like a pair slippers!

I prefer the aeros too, they look the best IMO, but I'm sick of them! Weak and soft and buckle if you go over a bump! Lol...

I have a set of the standard 17's 5 spoke and 9 aero wheels (5 are bent).

The car drives so much better on the 17's. Even when mine is on the 4 good aero wheels the ride is firmer and more bumpy on them.

Update!

This car is really growing on me. The more I drive it, the more I like it.

After having a read on this forum regarding the timing belt, I booked the car in to my local independent garage who I've been using for years, and got it changed. Such a relief after hearing some of the stories about them snapping. My belt wasn't bad, but just got it changed for a peace of mind, along with the idler and tensioner.

Sport Grille was ordered from Lexus Leicester, who could only source a silver one, but they offered to paint it for an additional charge. £80 all in. Totally transforms the look of the front end. Love it!

All new tyres just fitted, Marshal KH35's. I've had these before and was happy with them. Although I said I don't like the wheels, they are growing on me too! Maybe a colour change, to Black or Gun Metal Grey?? :)

Next up, full service in March, and I really need to buy a touch up paint kit, to treat minor stone chips and a small scratch! Do I have to get one from Lexus, or can I get this from Halfords?

Glad its growing on you. I feel like the IS was built with me in mind i like it so much!

So was there no evidence of cambelt being done then? I got mine done in the interval and was slightly worn

The wheels you have are my favorite. Makes the car look so much more sophisticated and grown up. If you were goung to change the colour ide go for gun metal apposed to black.The sports grill was a must for mine too but i do like the LE grill too. I got a lip spoiler for mine too, gives it a nice touch

Touch up kit is a must to keep on top of chips you dont want rust popping up

Glad its growing on you. I feel like the IS was built with me in mind i like it so much!

So was there no evidence of cambelt being done then? I got mine done in the interval and was slightly worn

The wheels you have are my favorite. Makes the car look so much more sophisticated and grown up. If you were goung to change the colour ide go for gun metal apposed to black.The sports grill was a must for mine too but i do like the LE grill too. I got a lip spoiler for mine too, gives it a nice touch

Touch up kit is a must to keep on top of chips you dont want rust popping up

I checked out the history, contacted the garages that did the servicing, and they confirmed the timing belt was not changed, however it does have a full history. Car has covered 56,000 miles now, and is now 10 years old being a 04 plate, so I thought let's just get it sorted.

I agree about the wheels being more elegant, don't see many IS's with the 11 spokers.

The lip spoiler sounds like a good addition, were there two type? One with the third brake light integrated and one without?

Buying a touch up kit tomorrow, and sorting the chips!

Well the timibg belt was well over due then! Its every 60k or 6 years.

There were 3 spoilers. The small stick on tte lip, the small spoiler with brake light and the raised full size spoiler with brake light.