Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Tank Size And Range

I'm due to take delivery of my white 300h f-sport in about 2 weeks (16 week lead time so far!!)

I've seen on the US forum some drivers complaining about poor range due to the fuel tank size.

What sort of range are people getting between fill ups and what's the approximate cost to fill from empty?

thanks Andy

Welcome to the forum Andy, bet you can't wait for delivery!

I have 4500 miles in the clock, my driving is generally around town with occasional motorway. I'm averaging 38 mpg according to the computer, get about 460 ish from a tank, and it's about £75 at Shell on normal petrol. Our American cousins don't have the hybrid but a bigger petrol one (can't remember exactly), so I'm not surprised by some of those reports.

The IS300h has a 66 ltr tank (14 gallons). I get about 930km (580 miles) on 60 ltrs. That's winter mileage, I was getting more than 1,000km last summer. Have clocked 13,000km so far.

The IS300h has a 66 ltr tank (14 gallons). I get about 930km (580 miles) on 60 ltrs. That's winter mileage, I was getting more than 1,000km last summer. Have clocked 13,000km so far.

I must be doing something wrong, pretty sure I'm not getting anything approaching 580 from a tank. Mind you miles better than my old 2nd gen 250 so I'm still happy.

I must be doing something wrong, pretty sure I'm not getting anything approaching 580 from a tank. Mind you miles better than my old 2nd gen 250 so I'm still happy.

And I thought I was getting lousy mileage! 580 equates to 44mpg (granted, I was averaging about 41 for the last few weeks, but they have been exceptional) and you're getting about 40, which should be 520miles (on 13 gallons). I set the trip at every filling and consistently get between 920 and 950km on a tank. There are others doing far better, apparently.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forum Andy, bet you can't wait for delivery!

I have 4500 miles in the clock, my driving is generally around town with occasional motorway. I'm averaging 38 mpg according to the computer, get about 460 ish from a tank, and it's about £75 at Shell on normal petrol. Our American cousins don't have the hybrid but a bigger petrol one (can't remember exactly), so I'm not surprised by some of those reports.

I got the same range on the first run, full tank since I got the car from dealer.

Circa 14 km per liter (38-40 mpg) but I got this result by calculating the level of fuel when refilling the tank to the max level (50 litres) and relating it to the distance traveled since the first day of use.

The board computer showed autonomy for 180 more kilometers (111 miles) when I got 700 km (434 miles) on the clock.
700 km / 50 litres = 14 km per liter
As the car and the engine are new I find this result very nice considering that the car is heavy and the F-sport has got low profile wheels with 18" alloys.

Anyways I noticed that the mileages on the "travel diary" indicates that the average fuel consumption is 18 km per liter (50 mpg)...according to this, where are my 4 km per liter that are missing?

The "pump" consumption says 14 km per liter while the onboard computer says 18 km per liter.

Sure thing is I will got better consumption as I understood how to drive properly this car and the hybrid system. ;)

I have always used Fuelly.com to keep track of my mileage and fuel consumption and I will be doing the same when I get my IS in the next couple of days. Fuelly is a very good site and worth checking out if you've not used it before.

I have always used Fuelly.com to keep track of my mileage and fuel consumption and I will be doing the same when I get my IS in the next couple of days. Fuelly is a very good site and worth checking out if you've not used it before.

looks like you will be the first. No IS300h models currently listed on fuelly.

looks like you will be the first. No IS300h models currently listed on fuelly.

Looks like it takes a little time for Fuelly to add in new cars to its lists. I think mine is the second, if I click on the IS300h link in the page about the car, there's one in Poland. Mine isn't even listed on the IS300h page because it hasn't had the 3 fill ups needed to show up publicly yet. The link in my sig will hopefully work :phone:

In terms of mileages, it's early days for mine so far. Hopefully you'll be able to see the fill ups via the signature link but :

1st fill - is a bit of a con. It's tainted by delivery procedures, plus I was nervous about running out so there's a partial fill up in there.

2nd fill - was reading maybe 50mpg on the screen, 46mpg actual. And it was a short fill because I was about to embark on 450 business miles without knowing what the prices or availability of petrol would be :msn-oh:

The current tank has seen those 450 miles (so far) and there's a third of a tank left according to the dial.

No range anxiety here ! It's the longest ranged car I've had so far, beating the CT due to that 50% bigger tank. But I do need to find an opportunity to do a fill up just after the light comes on, so I know how much reserve is available.

PS I'll be over the moon if I continue getting 46mpg or better actual. The IS has so much more flexibility compared to the CT, I'm expecting similar mpgs out of the IS to the 48-50 I got from the CT because I'm not having to work it as hard.

Sleepypete, are you following me or I am following you? :) I came here via 2x Gen 7 Celicas, 3x Prius, 1x CT200h, 1x modded crazy GT86 and now an IS300h. Picking it up tomorrow at 09:30 :)

GT86 in the flickr signature below. Awesome car to drive quickly especially with HKS exhaust system and a few other bits ;)

I'd suggest checking Spritmonitor.de, they have more than 20 ISes 300h (20 with 1500+ km on them, plus probably some others with less mileage). Mine will be there too. The only thing - you'd have to stomach somewhat thorny translation here and there. Our list.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been running mine now for 6 weeks, and having covered just over 5,800 miles, most of which on motorways or dual carrriageways, I am currently averaging about 43.5 mpg, which the car tells me gives me about 570 miles range when I have fully filled the car at the petrol station. I have had the mpg over 44, but this falls back very quickly with spirited driving, and takes a lot of more calm and considered (i.e. 65mph) driving to get this back up again. As far I can see, the consumption does not seem to alter much if I am in the car on my own, or five up with the family onboard.

Thanks for the update AlGriff. Which model of IS do you have, and is the mpg calculated by you or the trip computer reading? How accurate is the trip computer?

Steve,

I have a Luxury spec, with nav and full leather spec (heated and ventilated seats.....already showing the benefit with the temperatures in the high teens over the weekend). I an going purely on the onboard computer, and have not independently verified it. I am afraid I am not one for logging every time I fuel up, as it will not change the way i drive knowing that one particular fill up gave me 0.3mpg more than another.......Work on the assumption that the onboard computer is as about accurate as every other manufacturers', and as a gauge, was getting about 49mpg from a Astra 1.7CDTi that I had on hire beforehand, 41mpg from a hired Astra 1.6 before that, and about 50 mpg from my company Passat 2.0 TDi that I had before that. None of these, however, had the power, the poise, the plushness, the specification, and more importantly the fantastically low company car BIK level that the IS has.