Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why Do We Like Our Thirsty Lexus's?

petayV8

I have never owned a diesel, but have owned three moderately thirsty lexus petrols - an is200 sport and two is250 SEL autos. All one previous owner. They were all refined and reliable, although the first of the 250s had to have some rattles fixed before I was happy with it, and was written off after about a year, while stationary. None of them ever failed to start or broke down, or needed urgent repairs of any kind, and that of course is worth more than a few pounds off the fuel bill. A diesel offering 40 mpg instead of the 30 I used to get in mixed driving might have saved me about £50 a month, but one modest repair job would have cancelled that out

The motoring mags do push diesel, especially in this kind of price and model range. at least one used to recommend the Is220d as the only IS worth considering ( no doubt assuming they would all be company cars) but no private buyer would agree with that.

Well, I now get to have my cake and eat it - my ex dem Is300h lux is giving me 50 mpg or more (display says 53) and is the quietest yet. Pulling away in total silence is quite something. And yes, the diesel c lass that pulled up next to me yesterday sounded positively agricultural in comparison

• Like 1