Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Takeda Intake And H&s Exhaust Update...

Like those wheels a lot. They forged aluminium as well? Expensive?

Not convinced the outlay for coil overs is worth it for me. Be interesting to see what the ride is like with them though.

Just tints and touch ups for me now.

Stu

There listed on US eBay Roheel. You'd pay shipping and import tax etc, but that's one option.

I've got a buddy to buy it from there (it's listed by Lexus California, so safe seller!), and bring it over with my other stuff.

I'm going to Arizona in March, if you wanted me to bring one back for you? Could get a buddy to buy it, and you give me the cash?

Whatever you prefer mate. :)

Those wheels do look very good, though I'm guessing they're 20's?

Yep agreed, the black intake does look much better.

I think Bilstein dampers would be the way to go, every time I've used them I've been massively impressed. Perfect for our roads

http://bilstein.suspensiondirect.co.uk/Lexus-IS_Xe2-IS_F.jsp

The F-Sport rear anti roll bar would be a good mod.

Does anybody know if the standard suspension allows for much, if any, geometry changes? I could really do with having a poke around, underneath one...

Hi Neil,

They are 20's as you imagined. I'm sure they could do 19's though if you preferred??

Happy for you to have a nose around under mine at some point if you wanted?

Roheel had lots of work on his geo recently, as he stated. I'd be inclined to believe the stock setup is quite fixed and restrictive.

No harm in looking though! ;)

Hi Neil, no I didn't have to get the adjustables. All my work was done using the stock setup. I know another member, tango who has had adjustables fitted to his ISF

Oh, by the way Stu, the more I listen to the outside clip, the more it sounds like a C63, which is perfect :D

It is amazing. Really makes driving it amazing fun! Sadly always want to accelerate so mpg is taking a hit!

Oh, by the way Stu, the more I listen to the outside clip, the more it sounds like a C63, which is perfect :D

Exactly how mine sounds. Everyone says its just like a C63. Mines only had the Takeda on. Exhaust still standard.

For those interested (maybe just me! Lol), a set of the Ace Mesh-7's works out at £950 approx. That's only the cost for the alloys from the US by the way. Will need to add shipping, import duty, and tax as well.

Still toying with the idea of packaging them in pairs, and trying to get them on the plane as my 2 bag luggage allowance! ;) Lol.

Appreciate I may have to pay a weight penalty, but I can live with that! :)

Will also need nearly as much for a set of tires, but still think £2K, or thereabouts is pretty reasonable?

Will see what the company come back with in terms of shipping costs etc.

Here's the eBay link to the carbon F Sport shifter knob for anyone that wants to order direct from Lexus San Diego:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-IS250-IS350-F-Sport-Shift-Knob-A-T-Auto-Transmission-Lexus-San-Diego-/331112466717

Listing does show shipping and import charges.

Cheers.

Pete :)

I agree that the stock ISF sound is a little too restrained - but the novelty of a nicer noise would soon wear off so I don't feel inclined to got for "improved" induction and louder exhausts which will not yield anything in the way of performance or efficiency. Any restriction in flow in either is minimal so any improvement can only be correspondingly minimal. As if men in sheds (even Japanese sheds) are likely to have been able to significantly improve anything that Toyota's almost limitless resources and lengthy development would not already have achieved - particularly by only applying a few bits of cheap tubing etc. The Noise however, is rather different and is really just a matter of preference. It can usually be altered without making anything worse (or better). Whatever floats your boat and only empties your wallet within your limits.......

I agree that the stock ISF sound is a little too restrained - but the novelty of a nicer noise would soon wear off so I don't feel inclined to got for "improved" induction and louder exhausts which will not yield anything in the way of performance or efficiency. Any restriction in flow in either is minimal so any improvement can only be correspondingly minimal. As if men in sheds (even Japanese sheds) are likely to have been able to significantly improve anything that Toyota's almost limitless resources and lengthy development would not already have achieved - particularly by only applying a few bits of cheap tubing etc. The Noise however, is rather different and is really just a matter of preference. It can usually be altered without making anything worse (or better). Whatever floats your boat and only empties your wallet within your limits.......

I give up

I give up

??

I've mentioned a couple of times now; it's not like a Japanese engineer walks into his boss and says "keieisha, I bring great dishonor and shame to our company. We have only been able to extract 417 hp from our engine design. I shall now go and perform seppuku."

The manufacturer has a hp figure they want to meet, and especially not to go above, as this is actually detrimental to the program.

The ISF is a very quiet car in standard form, particularly the exhaust. To achieve this noise reduction the exhaust gases go through multiple chambers and changes direction drastically, multiple times. This is not good for exhaust gas flow and power. But it doesn't matter as they only want to achieve 417 of our ponies.

Same with cost of manufacture of the exhaust system. They can make cuts in cost at the expense of gas flow, again because their hp figures can be achieved whilst doing this.

The new RC-F clearly shows that the ISF had been deliberately restricted. What is going to be pretty much the same 5l V8 now has around 470+ bhp. Magic? no... they probably changed the cam profiles a touch, fitted a freer flowing exhaust and cats, and tweeked the ECU.

I agree mate. Think he was just saying if you want negligible gaines for £££ spent that's up to the individual. I don't expect my system will improve hp much at all. It removes a silencer and smaller back boxes so less turbulent gas flow. Also increased air in to the engine.

However, down pipes back with sports car or removing cats should see some gaines but at great cost.

Stu

Sorry, I didn't want to sound like a ***** about it.

I admit, there is a big debate, in the US, on whether an induction kit gains anything when fitted to the ISF. However, one universally agreed upon thing, within the ISF community, tuning world, and motorsport, is that fitting a well designed, freer flowing exhaust will see power gains.

With the ISF, small gains can be made with the changing just the back boxes alone, to a straight through type. Has anybody seen how complex the internals of the standard boxes are? It's crazy.

Even more gains can be seen with a cat back system, and again with further gains from the removal of the secondary cats.

After this the exhaust manifolds (headers if you're from the US) can be changed to tubular type which see pretty substantial gains of around 50hp. Now a sizable chunk of this 50 hp will be down to the primary cats being deleted also, something that's probably not worth doing due to MOT and legal reasons, but a lot have had high flow sports cats welded in and seen pretty hefty gains of around 30-40 hp.

Realistically, with all this done there are ISF's with around 500hp. There'll be those who don't see the point and expense, that's fine, to each their own. But for me the prospect is exciting, not only for the awesome sound and performance, but also I can't leave things alone and just enjoy tinkering. You could give me an LFA, and I'd want to tweek it. That's who I am.

Apologies for being a bit narky :P

Neil

Lol. All good from my perspectives. Be interesting to see what my system and intake makes on a rolling road. This is the only car I have owned where I have not been chasing bhp but of course I understand why people do.

It's your car, do with it what makes you happy. I do! Be great to see how you get on mate. Start a thread so we can keep tabs :)

Stu

I'm very similar to you by the sounds of it Neil! ;)

My intention with buying the ISF, was to get something that was a lot newer than the Supra, that didn't need much doing to it. Afterall, this is a genuine super car right out of the box.

Thing is I'm a fiddler when it comes to my cars. Like you, even if I bought a Lamborghini, or an Aston Martin, I'd still find ways to tinker with it! ;)

Hardly any car is setup to be bespoke to a specific driver. My needs wouldn't have been considered by Lexus when they developed these awesome cars. If they had, the centre console and switch surrounds would have been genuine carbon fibre for a start! ;)

My point is a manufacturer develops a base for as broad a market as possible. The bigger the target audience, the more units they sell. Whilst Lexus are renowned for many great qualities, building performance cars isn't one of them. The fact the ISF was dreamed up by some technicians over in Japan, that had more octane in their veins than the rest, says it all.

500HP should be the figure from these cars in my view. Not 499, or 417, but that magic number, 500.

They also kept it refined to try keeping some of their LS and GS buyers interested I imagine. Remember my Dad getting his LS400 back in 1994. It was super quiet inside (you couldn't hear the engine on tick over at all!). Loved the ride as a passenger, but it was lacking in feel or excitement as a drivers car.

The ISF is a great car without question, but with a few changes here and there, it can be an amazing car.

:)