Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Surely all you need to do is move the headlight switch form "Auto" to "ON" and that will do it. I think the location of the sensor is described in the handbook. It may be on the top of the shelf under the windscreen as far as I remember.

The light sensor is the little round thingy at the base of the windscreen towards the left.

BUT, you don't need to touch it... just manually override the auto setting by switching the control stalk from Auto to ON as suggested above.

Same you would do when driving in the rain, but when the light is not low enough for the lights to switch on by themselves.

(Do tell me you that you do switch your lights on manually in such circumstances! :whistling: )

I think I know what you mean, you just want the lights to come on everytime you start up regardless of lighting conditions?

Just cover the sensor (in front of driver on top of the IP) with some black tape and leave the switch on "auto", that way when you turn off the ignition the sidelights while extinguish as well.

I think I know what you mean, you just want the lights to come on everytime you start up regardless of lighting conditions?

Just cover the sensor (in front of driver on top of the IP) with some black tape and leave the switch on "auto", that way when you turn off the ignition the sidelights while extinguish as well.

Thanks. Will have a look for it. The swiss now demand that you have headlights or drl on at ALL times. Despite two fluorescent warnings on the dashboard I still forget occasionally and our one month of grace is now up. The tax collectors aka police have already started setup up road stops!! If I tape over the sensor then I can just leave it in auto and they will turn on when I start up and I will avoid the £28 fine

It might be worth asking a Lexus dealer (although it will cost you and the result will be the same) if its possible to "reduce" the setting of the sensor so it activates all the time, but from memory I think there are only three settings in the software the dealer has access to, but you never know.

aaahhh... it all makes sense now!

I wonder if this post might be of help:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/86055-two-drl-solutions-which-one-do-you-like/

The originator had a similar issue to yours. If you are looking for a more permanent solution, he may be able to help.

Here are my two cents - local law is the same - lights on all the time.

Covering the sensor is rather bad solution - although it works fine with the lights (when set on auto) it also gives incorrect information to the A/C and the navigation screen/dashboard illumination.

I've tried every solution possible - so the module fits my needs the best - I'm still enjoying the automatic lights (no matter entering a tunnel or dusk) and the automatic change of illumination on the dash. I can still use both Low & high beams as needed, the only downside is that the reduced voltage of the halogen bulbs makes them yellowish (even if replaced by coolblue/HID look ones).

Here are my two cents - local law is the same - lights on all the time.

Covering the sensor is rather bad solution - although it works fine with the lights (when set on auto) it also gives incorrect information to the A/C and the navigation screen/dashboard illumination.

I've tried every solution possible - so the module fits my needs the best - I'm still enjoying the automatic lights (no matter entering a tunnel or dusk) and the automatic change of illumination on the dash. I can still use both Low & high beams as needed, the only downside is that the reduced voltage of the halogen bulbs makes them yellowish (even if replaced by coolblue/HID look ones).

Not quite sure what the light sensor has to do with the AC? Certainly on mine there is a seperate "daylight/sun" sensor for the AC (just next to the light sensor).

Yes the auto dimming of the instrument illumination can be too dim during the day, but for me thats not a biggy as I always have the instrument illumination on the brightest setting anyway, maybe its too bright on the Mk2 but for me its fine.

Biggest problem I see with the 20% dimming method is that filament bulbs are designed to run at thier optimum temperature to cycle the gases in the halogen process, if run at a lower temperature ie with less voltage it shortens thier service life.

Not quite sure what the light sensor has to do with the AC? Certainly on mine there is a seperate "daylight/sun" sensor for the AC (just next to the light sensor).

His ride is 2008 RX350 (MK2) and it has just one sensor for both, not two separate.

• Like 1

His ride is 2008 RX350 (MK2) and it has just one sensor for both, not two separate.

Aha, thats annoying, in that case it makes it a bit difflicult and I would not recommend covering the "twin function" sensor.

In this case I would definately advise chatting to the local dealer first to see if there is a software solution before messing with the electrics. If not then maybe buy one of the approved DRL kits from Osram or Philips, although expensive at least will keep you totally legal.

Lexus dealers couldn't do anything to help - there is no software solution - you have to replace the ECU fitted to the European models with the one they put in US ones. US cars have DRL function and it is high beams at 20%.

And both solutions I tried are 100% legal.

Well to be 100% legal apparently the headlamp which is retro fitted for DRL should be E marked thus

drldotmarkings.jpg

From the legislation

"There is no requirement to retro fit DRL on vehicles not fitted with them as standard. If you decide to retro fit DRL you should ensure they have been approved to the correct European legislation. This can be confirmed by checking that the approval mark embossed on the lamp contains the letters "RL"

Then again I cannot see an MoT tester going into such detail :shifty: