Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Interior Damages - Lexus Is200

MajorT

Hello all!

I'm here in search for some help or advice.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of my scratched my dashboard with the foot of his computer screen (he had the screen in his lap).

Now it looks horrible, and I have no idea whether I have to replace the whole dashboard for a cost of ~180£ (~2000SEK), or if there's any

fix that can be done, either to camouflage it or entirely fix it. Here's a pic of the damage:

2eupq3s.jpg

I also have another damage at the drivers door. Seems like the previous owner had the car window open when it rained or something, and the texture has got all "curly" or something. Guess there's no way to fix this, but no harm done by asking.. Any help is appreciated!

2hf54lu.jpg

Thank you for your time!

Best regards,

André

Regarding the black dash part, easiest way would be to cover with carbon effect vinyl,or even the real carbon fibre adhesive sheet.

Sounds silly but lightly go over bobbled area on door card with a disposable razor. Works a treat. GENTLY though.

Regarding the black dash part, easiest way would be to cover with carbon effect vinyl,or even the real carbon fibre adhesive sheet.

Sounds silly but lightly go over bobbled area on door card with a disposable razor. Works a treat. GENTLY though.

I have thought about trying to cover up the damage with some kind of sheet yes, but I think it might go on looking a lot "cheaper" when having it. What do you guys think?

Have you seen any car with any effect vinyls?

The second advice for the cardoor sounds like an idea, I'll definitely test that today, I'll also come back with an update how it went! Thank you very much :)

Get £180 off your friend.....He damaged it!!

Yeah I know, the problem is he doesn't have a job, which means he has got no money, but yeah.. I got some money from him in the beginning, but not nearly enough to cover the expenses,

and now he have stopped paying me so haha. It's a bit tricky..

Regarding the dashboard, some guys on the swedish lexusownersclub recommended something called "Plasti paint" (http://www.dipyourcar.se/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=95).

Is this something anyone have any experience with? Sounds like it could be a solution, but I'm still worried that the outlines of the damages will be visible even though it's painted..

Okey, sounds like it's just a temporary solution then. I would rather try to fix it, if possible, so I don't have to redo it over and over again..

Sorry don't have a pic but i used the "4D" effect vinyl off e-bay on my damaged dash (same place as yours) and it looked fine. Buy the black though NOT the gray.

Oh alright, I'll have a look at it, thank you! My father works with cars and paints these, and he had a suggestion that we might try to paint it, grind it down a bit first and then repaint, but it might be hard to get a color looking the same as the rest of the dashboard..

Anyways, I tried the suggestion to use a razor at my door. I must say I'm really happy with the result!

24n008m.jpg

Sorry don't have a pic but i used the "4D" effect vinyl off e-bay on my damaged dash (same place as yours) and it looked fine. Buy the black though NOT the gray.

Is it this one you are referring to?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x60-4D-Special-Effect-Vinyl-Wrap-Sticker-Decal-Sheet-Film-004-Hexaion-/130938754777?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7c8ed6d9&vxp=mtr

Seems like it makes the car look a bit more "fast and the furious", and less.. how to say, neutral.. I don't know..

If it was me ide get hold of the trim from a breaker. I would look into carbon wrap also but not carbon effect, maybe a nice chrome silver or gloss black mmmm :) but you'd have to do the whole car really

If it was me ide get hold of the trim from a breaker. I would look into carbon wrap also but not carbon effect, maybe a nice chrome silver or gloss black mmmm :) but you'd have to do the whole car really

I'm gonna try a 3M brushed black metallic vinyl first on the damaged area, and see how it looks. Might not need any more adjustments afterwards, hopefully..

Alright, so I tried the vinyl I mentioned and I must say I am very happy with the result and the amount of time and money I saved by using it.

Here's a pic of the fix:

mh3ous.jpg

Thank you all for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Well done on the repair ;-)

.....and thanks for the razor tip.......I have the same issue with my driver's doorpad and will try it when I get home this evening!

EDIT: Forgot to post back on the "razor tip" - I tried it on my drivers doorpad and it worked a treat! Thanks for the advice guys!