Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Ingress Rx400H 2006

This is my first Lexus and this problem has knocked my confidence in its build quality considering the price of them. If I'm honest as a result of this I don't think I'd buy another one. Seems that a lot of these are suffering water ingress and Lexus only want to know about solving it if I book it in and pay their hourly rate while they look for a leak and fix it.

Hi Vic,

I can see your point. I had a previous IS200 for 5 years and that was absolutely rock solid and what LED me to maintain my loyalty to the brand.

This episode has shaken my confidence and I'm watching further developments with interest.

My (fixed?) car should be back this week.

Paul

Hi Vic,

I can see your point. I had a previous IS200 for 5 years and that was absolutely rock solid and what LED me to maintain my loyalty to the brand.

This episode has shaken my confidence and I'm watching further developments with interest.

My (fixed?) car should be back this week.

Hi Paul,

I know what you mean about brand loyalty, I left several happy years of Audi and Toyota to treat myself to the Lexus. However my dissatisfaction with this problem and to a lesser extent the auxiliary Battery has made me disappointed.

Hope your car is returned soon and the problem solved.

I did phone Lexus dealer to enquire about TSB or their experience of this problem but they didn't admit to knowing anything about it.

Vic

Sprayed about 10 gallons of water over rear of car at roof level today and checked inside and found 3 very small drips on one side. Could have dropped in when I opened tailgate but seem to be in one of the original drip lines. Tried more water over but not seen anymore drips. Looks hopeful but a period of rain will be the best test. ( Not looking like any this week! )

To recap, I've put silicone on seams above tailgate brackets, siliconed plastic plugs and screws behind plastic trim alongside the light clusters on the body, not the tailgate. Gaskets looked good on these so put them back without silicone, might order some new ones to be safe.

I'm wondering if there may be a small leak somewhere behind bumper.

Anyone found anything there and whats involved in removing bumper?

Sprayed about 10 gallons of water over rear of car at roof level today and checked inside and found 3 very small drips on one side. Could have dropped in when I opened tailgate but seem to be in one of the original drip lines. Tried more water over but not seen anymore drips. Looks hopeful but a period of rain will be the best test. ( Not looking like any this week! )

To recap, I've put silicone on seams above tailgate brackets, siliconed plastic plugs and screws behind plastic trim alongside the light clusters on the body, not the tailgate. Gaskets looked good on these so put them back without silicone, might order some new ones to be safe.

I'm wondering if there may be a small leak somewhere behind bumper.

Anyone found anything there and whats involved in removing bumper?

Removing the bumper isn't too bad, some clips with screws in the middle which you can see when you open the tailgate, some black plastic clips underneath, but the pain ones are there are some hidden screws under the rear '***** shield' located under the rear wheel arch. to get at these you have to do a bit of man handling of the shield and bumper. The bumper is held on by a couple of brackets which help locate the bumper into the correct place, don't forget to disconnect your rear fog lamps though!

post-34278-0-98317100-1394041739_thumb.j

Hopefully the weather is looking good this weekend and i'm in for some more water testing, got a feeling i will be removing bumper again so ill post some pics and write up

Removing the bumper isn't too bad, some clips with screws in the middle which you can see when you open the tailgate, some black plastic clips underneath, but the pain ones are there are some hidden screws under the rear '***** shield' located under the rear wheel arch. to get at these you have to do a bit of man handling of the shield and bumper. The bumper is held on by a couple of brackets which help locate the bumper into the correct place, don't forget to disconnect your rear fog lamps though!

Hi spurty,

Thanks for that info, I may have to wait until weekend for help so that I don't damage the paintwork.

The diagram you've posted looks extremely useful but it is so small I can't really see it very well. I'm on a mac using safari browser. Any idea on how I can view this in larger format or is it available to download?

By the way, I cannot work out what '*****shield' is, can you enlighten me with the letters and I can perhaps rearrange them to a word I'm familiar with?

It's like shut... but with a I instead of a u.... lol I suppose we should call is splash shield.

Go and register on toyodiy.com, it's the old toyota/let us parts lookup program you can't beat looking at diagrams to see how things come apart. You may need an invite to be able to see the diagrams drop me a pm with your email and I can invite you.

Hi spurty,

Thanks for that info, I may have to wait until weekend for help so that I don't damage the paintwork.

The diagram you've posted looks extremely useful but it is so small I can't really see it very well. I'm on a mac using safari browser. Any idea on how I can view this in larger format or is it available to download?

By the way, I cannot work out what '*****shield' is, can you enlighten me with the letters and I can perhaps rearrange them to a word I'm familiar with?

Try this for bigger diagrams Vic....

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com/productSearch.aspx?&ukey_make=1082&modelYear=&ukey_model=15677&ukey_trimLevel=19114&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_Category=21743&numResults=50&sortOrder=Relevance&isOnSale=0&isAccessory=0&isPerformance=0&searchTerm=

.....you can search any part of the car and click on the diagram with an option to display it full size. It's a US site but I'm sure there will be a lot of common parts...

Dan

• Like 1

As the sun decided to make an appearance i took the time to do some more water testing to find where the last annoying bit was coming from.

Started as standard with everything still attached and poured water over the offside rear low down to see if she leaked, but dry as a bone, then poured water down the plastic trim that sits next to the rear lamp, voila water coming into the boot area as previous. So i removed rear lamp and plastic trim water tested then as it was still coming in removed rear bumper. This isn't as difficult as you think, its only a bit of painted plastic and quite easy to handle. Excuse the pics and the fact the RX is as dirty as the mrs, i haven't cleaned it for ages as i would end up with more water inside than out

The bumper is held on by 4x 10mm nuts on the inside of the rear panel, some clips underneath and some more 10mm screws underneath and behind the rear wheel splash shields.

post-34278-0-63745000-1394283909_thumb.j

These can be a bugger to get out and you need to pull the splash shield down and out to the screws, it bends well!!

post-34278-0-21441200-1394284081_thumb.j

This is the nearside with bumber off, you can see the bumper retainers which are screwed into place and stay where they are.

The small block on the left hand side is where the screw goes up into

post-34278-0-26432100-1394284212_thumb.j

plastic pop out clip underneath, use a small screwdriver to pull the middle out then remove the whole thing

post-34278-0-84462400-1394284422_thumb.j

four 10mm nuts that hold the rear bumper into the rear panel. you can see i have even put sealant here just in case!!

post-34278-0-87719400-1394284460_thumb.j

looking down at rear panel

post-34278-0-75350000-1394284578_thumb.j

water testing

post-34278-0-13852800-1394284679_thumb.j

Somewhere here is a leak, but not anymore, body sealant works well, doesn't look pretty but as its covered by the bumper hey ho!

post-34278-0-40621500-1394284794_thumb.j

Hi spurty,

Thought I'd give the car a wash this morning, just a usual wet over with hose and washed and rinsed. Just like magic water appeared running onto the boot again!

I am planning to take the bumper off, waiting for friend who offered another pair of hands. Shud be this weekend but I can't pin him down to day/time.

Your pics and description are very helpful, I dislike pulling plastic trim about too much in cold weather so its good that temp has warmed up and sun pokes thro to warm it a little.

I'm really hoping you are not going to see anymore water in boot and that mine will also be dry after I seal everything that can be sealed.

Did you find a particular seam/area that you'd think was the leak?

Hi spurty,

Thought I'd give the car a wash this morning, just a usual wet over with hose and washed and rinsed. Just like magic water appeared running onto the boot again!

I am planning to take the bumper off, waiting for friend who offered another pair of hands. Shud be this weekend but I can't pin him down to day/time.

Your pics and description are very helpful, I dislike pulling plastic trim about too much in cold weather so its good that temp has warmed up and sun pokes thro to warm it a little.

I'm really hoping you are not going to see anymore water in boot and that mine will also be dry after I seal everything that can be sealed.

Vic

Take a close look at the seam under the bumper once you remove it, you wont miss it. It only takes a pin prick hole for water to find its way in. i spent a lot of time pouring water over certain areas to treble check, being methodical and working from bottom to top. As you can see by the pics i used tape to go over the holes etc to eliminate them, also rather than a hose, fill a watering can or bottle and pour this seemed more effective in locating the leak. Good luck and hope you find something, please let us know

Hi spurty,

Vic

Take a close look at the seam under the bumper once you remove it, you wont miss it. It only takes a pin prick hole for water to find its way in. i spent a lot of time pouring water over certain areas to treble check, being methodical and working from bottom to top. As you can see by the pics i used tape to go over the holes etc to eliminate them, also rather than a hose, fill a watering can or bottle and pour this seemed more effective in locating the leak. Good luck and hope you find something, please let us know

spurty,

I'm itching to get on and solve this now. Thanks for tips.

Will certainly let you know when I've done it.

Thanks Simon.

I'll be advising Lexus of the thread to try and fix my leak and get the car back.

Paul

No joy then Paul? Any update?

spurty,

I'm itching to get on and solve this now. Thanks for tips.

Will certainly let you know when I've done it.

Bit late but i was recommended this sealant at work last week, (had a old yaris that was leaking like a sieve, this stuff sorted it and it cures fast too)

Teroson Teromix 6700, you can get from Eurocar parts and i would advise getting a gun as its a double tube that mixes

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-maintenance-accessories/car-adhesives-tapes-sealants/sealant/?554772950&0&cc5_142

No update re fix. Disappointingly after 3 weeks I'm LED to believe that no cause of the leak has been found however I'm also unsure as to the efforts that have been expended to resolve.

Steps to find resolution described as:-

Need to do a water test to find leak - ok.

Need to do the water test outside - ok.

Need to fit the parts to move the car outside - err it wasn't driving when it was dropped off and found its way inside so possible to reverse the process?

I've been promised it will be looked at next week.

I removed the bumper today and sealed anywhere I thought
water might be getting in, seams and grommets and refitted.

Also removed and sealed the gas strut brackets on the body,

nothing wrong with them though.

Removed and sealed the 3 rubber grommets on the body that

supply electric to tailgate.

Did a water test expecting boot to be dry, but no! Water

again appearing in the same place of the boot.

Pulled the tailgate rubber seal off the body and it was wet

underneath where the boot/body seams meet. It looks as though someone has
previously put a sealant of some sort on this seam, its only spot welded in a
few places so water could possibly pass through the seam. Why water is on the
seam under the rubber seal I’m not sure, it could be when water runs off roof
it could get under the rubber and capillary action keeps drawing it up and then
it runs down to boot.

I don't know.

I’m going to clean and dry the seam and rubber when I get
something suitable to try and seal it with, I’ve run out of sealer today.

Vic

I'm hopeful that I may have cured my water leaks.

I sealed under the tailgate rubber seal and around the tailgate hinge brackets that attach to body. Water still came into boot at the same place as before.

Did water testing from the bumper upwards and found that water only found in boot when I ran water on roof around the rear roof bar bracket,

I removed the bracket, cleaned the whole area up, put some sealant under bracket, gasket, bolts and on the bodywork seam along side the bracket.

It was impossible to be certain that this seam was intact , it looked a bit dubious in a couple of places, thats why I sealed it.

Re assembled roof bar and done 2 water tests since and NO WATER in the boot.......................................at the moment!

I am hopeful that this might be my answer to my problem. Time and rain will tell.

This info may be of some help to anyone still struggling with this problem.

• Like 3

Good stuff Vic, mine has now been treated to a proper wash for the first time in ages and is now sparkling

lets hope this post helps other out that get the same problem, though they probably wont know till next time it rains for ages!!

I'm hoping Paul Marsden has some better news soon?!?

Hi all.

Firstly I'd like to offer my thanks to all those that have gone out of their way to find the cause of the problem and share that information. Really pleased to hear that, dare I day it? a solution has been found.

It does sound like an unexpected but grudgingly necessary action to waterproof our 4x4's.

Each time I see an RX 400 I wonder if that particular owner is aware of the potential problem they may be storing up.

Mine remains in the garage being fixed and fingers crossed I will be in a more informed position later this week.

Well I suppose it was too good to be true, last week nearly 900 miles and the car didn't skip a beat. today tried to start it up after 3 days parked up on the driveway, this time mind, not only did 'CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM' come up on the dash, but this time 'CHECK AWD SYSTEM' and 'CHECK VSC SYSTEM' came up as well, so I went through the usual routine of ringing up Lexus Exeter, them telling me to ring up the AA recovery number on back of tax disc, AA man comes out puts his diagnostic doo dah on the car, INVERTER PROBLEM shows up on his laptop, he then rings up for a low loader to come and pick up the car, neighbours having the usual quiet chuckle between them selves as it's loaded up on lorry. Only this time we get a 14 plate RX450h, while they try and sort out the inverter problem, and can I say a spot on motor the 450 is. I suppose it could have been worse, it's my old mans funeral this Monday, and if this had happened before the 250 mile trip up to Derby, I would have been pretty livid to say the least.

Hi all.

Sorry to hear about your issue Nev - is the same as you had before or did you change your car and have a new problem?

I've heard back from Lexus Poole.

Mine was letting in water from the rear lights - this has been resolved and car is ready for collection.

Given the previous threads on this issue where rear light gaskets have been chnaged and water is still coming in - I'm a little concerned as to the completenes of the fix.

I'm being pushed to hand the courtesy car back and hand over my credit card to pay for the repair and then pursue Lexus GB for a contribution.

Never having had to deal with this type of problem before i'm not sure what my options are.

Any input / advice or previous experience then i'd be delighted to receive it.

Paul

Same car same issue Paul, even though I did request a guarantee from Lexus, that sufficient work had been done on the inverter so as to the fault not happening again. We've had no rain last week, so it can't be water getting into the inverter, as it was thought to have done a fortnight ago, the only common denominator between the both breakdowns is that it had stood 3 odd days on the drive. As to your predicament Paul, you say it's resolved, but have they replaced the foam backing seals for the lights or have just used a sealant? if they've not replaced them , then, I'd order the two foam gaskets for the rear lights from Lexus, and take them down to a reputable high street garage near to you, and ask them to install and seal appropriately, I would have thought half hour labour each one, ball park to fit. and see how you go on from there, but that's just my opinion. oh and then get a garden sprinkler on it for a couple of hours, test it out

Hi all.

Sorry to hear about your issue Nev - is the same as you had before or did you change your car and have a new problem?

I've heard back from Lexus Poole.

Mine was letting in water from the rear lights - this has been resolved and car is ready for collection.

Given the previous threads on this issue where rear light gaskets have been chnaged and water is still coming in - I'm a little concerned as to the completenes of the fix.

I'm being pushed to hand the courtesy car back and hand over my credit card to pay for the repair and then pursue Lexus GB for a contribution.

Never having had to deal with this type of problem before i'm not sure what my options are.

Any input / advice or previous experience then i'd be delighted to receive it.

Paul

Paul

I would want to see the invoice and see what has actually been replaced and/or repaired, before you take the vehicle back

Are Lexus saying to you that you have to pay the full bill then there is a possibility Lexus will reimburse you some money? That's not the way it works, unless Lexus do it different?