Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Rev/power Issues

Jamest

Hi. I experienced today in my 2008 is220d the power cutting out at 3000 rpm suddenly. I changed gear and again when revs climbed to around 3k the power cut out. This is the first time this has happened. I have had almost annual issues with the EGR valve which was last replaced by Lexus last November. This issue appears to be new. The power in third gear almost dies when the revs build up then kicked back in suddenly. Does anyone have some advise which may help? I'm going to be calling Lexus in the morning to try and get this resolved ASAP butt bought I'd try here first.

Thanks

It's very hard to say without giving the car a scan with an OBD2 code reader. You can buy a cheap handheld version for around £20, one of the best things I've ever bought car wise. Maybe someone you know has one you can borrow?

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds turbo related if it is only happening when the car is at around 3000 revs.

Have you tried building up speed at a slower pace rather than foot to the metal to see if it will climb over 3000 revs that way?

If it is only happening when you have the accelerator down hard then it may be a breather or air inlet issue which is restricting the turbo.

I am also inclined to agree with Gaz, the following information would be very helpful:

Is the engine management light on?

Has a code reader been connected to the OBD port (under the steering column)?

• 2 weeks later...

Had this problem last year and dealer replaced diesel fuel filter (dont know what one but filter was about £15, diagnosis and labour £150) problem was however fixed. The filter blocked up about a week after I added a tin of BG244 diesel treatment to the fuel, perhaps it dislodged some crud, this was the only effect the additive had as it didn't make any difference otherwise to the performance or fuel consumption.