Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Avoid "old" "high Mileage" Is220D Lexus

I recently bought a 2007 Lexus is220d, with the view of buying a quality vehicle, with a reputation for reliability.

Within a few months it developed a flat spot on accelleration, which turned out to be an issue with the EGR valve, which was removed and cleaned.

A couple of weeks later the engine management light, VSC and stability control lights came on.

A diagnostic test showed the problem to be a fifth injector. There had been a recall of this model around the time of manufacture, which included the one I bought.

When I spoke to Lexus, expecting they would take some recognition of this and at least share the cost, I was very disappointed with their response.

Jenny Shipley, The Customer Services Team Manager, wrote to me to say on this age (07) and mileage (90k) of vehicle, they would not undertake any warranty work.

If anyone has a notion to buy a Lexus is220d of around the era of mine, I would suggest they think again. Even when parts have been recognised to be sub-standard and have failed a second time, Lexus will amazingly hide behind age and mileage. They did not at any time ask about the condition of the vehicle, which is excellent. It also has four Lexus dealer service stamps in the book and three stamps from recognised main dealer franchises.

Very disappointing experience so far!

Hi. The 220d isn't Lexus's most successful venture. I guess they just don't make good diesels.

The problems you have described are very well documented on this forum and I am not the least bit surprised to be reading this. Are you aware of the Head Gasket issue with the 220d also? I'd be glad that hasn't gone as well if I were you. Do a search on 220 head gasket, it doesn't make pleasant reading.

I would fight the fifth injector issue a bit more. It's a well known recall and if the dealer isn't helpful go straight to Lexus UK.

Being honest with you, I'd prob sell your 220d as quick as you can if it were me. You are almost out of the extended warranty offered on the 220d for HG failure. It's 111,000 miles or 7 years. If your HG fails in that period lexus will replace your engine free of charge if you have full service history which you do but you are now right on the time limit.

To be fair, apart from the head gasket issue which Toyota have stood by their customers and replaced engines up to 7yrs 112k - the 2.2 engine isn't any more unreliable than any other similarly aged diesel with dpf IMO - that said id be wary about buying any AD engined car without an engine replacement that falls between the extended warranty years.

There is no such thing as the totally reliable modern diesel IMO regardless of manufacturer - just look at the horror stories from every manufacturer out there. VAG and Mazda to name 2 examples. If you want bullet proof reliability buy an old diesel or a petrol engine.

To be fair, apart from the head gasket issue which Toyota have stood by their customers and replaced engines up to 7yrs 112k - the 2.2 engine isn't any more unreliable than any other similarly aged diesel with dpf IMO - that said id be wary about buying any AD engined car without an engine replacement that falls between the extended warranty years.

There is no such thing as the totally reliable modern diesel IMO regardless of manufacturer - just look at the horror stories from every manufacturer out there. VAG and Mazda to name 2 examples. If you want bullet proof reliability buy an old diesel or a petrol engine.

There is a lot of truth in your comments.

A friend with an 08 Audi A3 TDi broke down 3 times between Brecon and Bournemouth. all because of......limp mode and DPF issues.

modern Diesels were designed with long distance driving in mind but looks like most buy one even when they don't cover long distances. I read an article a while back were a man was suing Jaguar as his XF diesel kept on breaking down with limp mode coming every now and again and Jaguars response was the driver wasn't driving the car for longer distances enough which helps prevent DPF's, EGR's clogging up over time. most wont also drive the car hard (rev) every now and again due to them wanting better mpg which might also accelerate the clogging up process. below is a link which does a small pros and cons of diesel v petrol cars. to me petrol always wins. if I wanted fuel economy, I will down size to a smaller petrol or hybrid powered engine. if I wanted a torquey engine for overtaking I will stick to 6 or 8 cylinder petrol. and if I wanted a car with both I will get a smaller turbo/super charged petrol engine or more so a large displacement Hybrid like GS450h or Infiniti M35h .if I was spending £10 to £30k on a 40 - 50MPG car, I would chose one of those as their motorway mpg is around diesel mpg figures, wont suffer from the common diesel engine problems, has overtaking acceleration and cheaper tax bands.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/112073/petrol-or-diesel

These DPFs puzzle me ( not so difficult I know) they are designed to reduce emissions but then re generate (burn out the rubbish) to atmosphere and so surely are still polluting just at a different time? I guess its to reduce the emissions on a test and so qualify as a clean car. Seems a bit of a con to me.

Just noticed someone up my road just replaced his is200 with a 10 plate 220d. I dont think he'll have the same ownership experience

The head gasket issues would be fixed on a 10 plate 2.2 AD engine, so as long as its serviced on time with good quality diesel - it should be as reliable as any modern diesel on the road.

modern Diesels were designed with long distance driving in mind but looks like most buy one even when they don't cover long distances. I read an article a while back were a man was suing Jaguar as his XF diesel kept on breaking down with limp mode coming every now and again and Jaguars response was the driver wasn't driving the car for longer distances enough which helps prevent DPF's, EGR's clogging up over time. most wont also drive the car hard (rev) every now and again due to them wanting better mpg which might also accelerate the clogging up process. below is a link which does a small pros and cons of diesel v petrol cars. to me petrol always wins. if I wanted fuel economy, I will down size to a smaller petrol or hybrid powered engine. if I wanted a torquey engine for overtaking I will stick to 6 or 8 cylinder petrol. and if I wanted a car with both I will get a smaller turbo/super charged petrol engine or more so a large displacement Hybrid like GS450h or Infiniti M35h .if I was spending £10 to £30k on a 40 - 50MPG car, I would chose one of those as their motorway mpg is around diesel mpg figures, wont suffer from the common diesel engine problems, has overtaking acceleration and cheaper tax bands.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/112073/petrol-or-diesel

GS450h is the daddy!!!

I agree with pretty much everything on this thread. Having said that I ran a BMW 525d Auto, 3.0l Diesel for almost 5 years, only having covered 34k and without a single problem to speak of. In 2.5 years of the IS220d, it was in over 10 times for all sorts of issues.

From my experience and that of the Lexus (Lexus dropped the IS220d in 2011), the car was seriously compromised right from start - dodgy final drive/gearing, 5th Injector woes etc, and I have said it so many times - if you buy a car from a manufacturer buy what the do best. With Lexus that means buy a Petrol Auto or a Hybrid.

• Like 1

I bought my 220d 07 December last year and reading all these threads I'm thinking OMG wot have I bought. But then again I'm thinking every motor have there faults.

Absolutely!!! I'd say apart from the HG issue they aren't an unreliable car by modern diesel standards.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links