Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450H Powdered Tailgate Open With Button

I was in a BMW dealership and was messing with the X5 in the showroom, it had a powered tailgate and on pressing the button on the tailgate itself the powered tailgate opened...

Why doesn't my RX do this ?

With keyless entry I have to still get keys out to press the tailgate open button.If just pressing the exterior tailgate I have to lift it open but can then close it by power button!

The cars first service is due shortly - does anyone know whether the dealers can reprogram car to open with power at all ?

You can only power it open with the key. I guess you could ask the dealer to see if itll program differently.

The sense behind it is that if you get to the car and press the button, it takes a while to open. In a car dealership, you have the time to wait for it to open because theres nothing better to do. In real life you wont and it'll frustrate.

Ive never found it an issue, in the car park I just stick my hand in my pocket and open it before getting to the car so I dont have to wait. And its closed by the time I start the car.

Just to point out, the new X5 does look pretty cool but has a lot of features missing which the RX F Sport has as standard including adaptive LED headlights, Heads up display, heated front seats, electric lumbar support, privacy glass etc.

An equivalent X5 25d XDRIVE would cost you about £57k mate + its slower and nowhere near as refined. Poor ride and road noise/wind noise is too intrusive.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the link Steve, 1st service due soon so I will ask when I book it about re-programming.

Not going to change the RX yet Rayann, had 12 yrs of 5 series Bimmers, am enjoying the comfort too much!

Went in to look at an I3 out of pure interest.

Customizable features are different on the RX450 compared to the link which is for the RX 350. The features are changed by using the multi function switches on the steering wheel which don't seem to be as many as through the nav screen on the RX 350.

Judging by the photos, this refers to the latest RX350, which is not available in the UK... i.e. what we know as the RX450h, but with a petrol only engine.

Judging by the photos, this refers to the latest RX350, which is not available in the UK... i.e. what we know as the RX450h, but with a petrol only engine.

Anything that can be done on the RX350 can be done on the RX450h. They use the same programs

Tom, thanks but yes there is a button on the dashboard. I was referring to the external tailgate button, seems daft with keyless entry to have to get keys out to open tailgate with power.

I have booked car for service 5th March and asked to be re-programmed, will update following that.

There is a new car on the market (can't remember which, sorry, where you can just wiggle your foot under the rear bumper to activate the opening of the tailgate. Now that's making the most of the keyless entry. Let's hope it gets adopoted by other manufacturers.

You listening Lexus?... ;-)

Car thieves? how so?

Still need to have the key in your pocket and be within range of the transponder. It's no different to having to press a button on the tailgate, surely (from a security perspective I mean)

There is a new car on the market (can't remember which, sorry, where you can just wiggle your foot under the rear bumper to activate the opening of the tailgate. Now that's making the most of the keyless entry. Let's hope it gets adopoted by other manufacturers.

That was the Ford Kuga..........I believe now BMW have rushed out the feature also..........MB next, then maybe Lexus? :flowers:

Personally I don't find it a hardship pointing my key at the tailgate and pressing a button.

Ah... I remember my dad saying the same about electric windows... and remote locking... wouldn't be without them now though...

No the days when you got out of the taxi at an airport, and the taxi driver pushed a button on his dash to open the boot, with which you'd often say "very clever now get off your arse and close it, because my hands are full with luggage", isn't the same as pointing your key at the tailgate and watching it rise up and then close itself, but having to stand by the actual tailgate and 'wiggling' your foot under the bumper, and then instantaneously having to turn around to see if your kid has fallen over and hurt themselves, for an example may result in a nasty bump on yer napper. Now I'm all for gadgets and technology, but sometimes you can over egg the pudding, so to speak.

That was the Ford Kuga..........I believe now BMW have rushed out the feature also..........MB next, then maybe Lexus? :flowers:

Except its slightly stupid. Try carrying a 50kg box and wiggling a leg under the bonnet. And it does take some serious wiggling + it takes a while to open the tailgate! I dont even get the key out of my pocket, just hold the button while its in the pocket!

Except its slightly stupid. Try carrying a 50kg box and wiggling a leg under the bonnet. And it does take some serious wiggling + it takes a while to open the tailgate! I dont even get the key out of my pocket, just hold the button while its in the pocket!

I have tried it, it was tested and a whole panel of employees gave thier views on the system a long time before production and if your walking up to the car with both hands full of shopping bags (50KGs? not sure where you go shopping? :lol: ) and its raining/dark/strange car park whatever just waggling your foot under the rear bumper works just fine, trust me it does!

BTW maybe your problem was wiggling your leg under the bonnet when it should have been the boot? :whistling: :winky:

And how do you press the button in your pocket while carrying 50kg in both hands.......maybe we shouldn't ask....hidden talents eh? :wacko:

O.K picture this scenario, you get home, car is all nicely locked up, you're parked on driveway which is roughly 10 feet from front door, you unlock your house front door, car key on fob remember, your cat that has been shut inside all day decides it needs to get out and do it's business shoots out of the house through your legs, but its raining so decides to shelter first under your car you reversed into the driveway so the boot is nearest the house, you are oblivious to the fact that you are now entering the house keys in hand and cat under your boot/bumper, tailgate rises seeing as how you were 10 ft from car with car key but cat is under the car bumper doing what ever cats do, but by this time you are in the house, cat under car nice and dry, but tailgate is up and its peeing rain into you pride and joy.

Well even if that amazing event or circumstance happens every day........the trunk will shut after a set period if no activity is detected, thats how its supposed to work, same as if you accidently unlock your car from inside the house and dont realise it, after about a minute the car will lock itself and prime the alarm again.

You see, occasionaly designers think of the real world, even the real world of funny tummy cats :lol:

I reckon I'd have your set of golf clubs outa the boot within 10 seconds of you disappearing into your house, after watching it open up, with nobody about doing an 'open sesame' Hyperthetically speaking of course.

Shame is thieves also think in the real world

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links