Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi - just wonder if someone can help as I am hugely confused. I have a Rx300 Mk1 (love her, 170k and still going strong) but time to change. So I occasionally tow (approx 4 times a year max) a 21/2 ton trailer so have been told I should not have a hybrid.......so looking at RX350 but depending on model, road tax varies from £175 year to £490...can anyone enlighten me as I refuse to pay best part of £500 in road tax!

Thanks in advance for info.

OK so tax on the 350's is at £490......decision made then.....either take the chance on a hybrid or find a late model 300 or go for a range rover!

Now if Lexus could please put a full petrol engine in a 450 body (like a transplant) that would be great!

If you look at the towing capacity of the hybrids they are are at 2000kg - my (livestock) trailer and animals is at 3000kg.....which frankly is no weight at all but I have been advised / warned by Lexus that towing anything any heavier than guidelines (and the actual tow bar does not have sufficient capacity either) may damage the electrical side of things. Apparently it would be fine if you wish to tow a 4' x3' trailer to the tip, a small caravan but ask it to work...nope. So looks like I have no choice but to look for a low mileage 2006 RX300 - my existing 'old girl' tows my trailers with no problem - actually the very best tow vehicle I have ever owned and believe me I have tried the lot. Towing capacity combined with luxury. So unless someone can produce info or data to suggest that towing with a hybrid is OK then I will sadly leave the 450 to others.

I'd stick to what Lexus say. They know what their car is designed to handle, if they say don't tow a particular weight then....don't tow it.

Also, I should think that if you had an accident while towing and the weight of both vehicles was a factor, you might find yourself in a lot of trouble.

Its the fact that the hybrids want to start off using electrical power first which limits the towing capacity, the eletrical motors are obviously not rated high enough for the effort required, hence the 300/350 is a much higher towing capacity.

Lexylass my daughter tows everything on the farm with her Navara pickup, I think a Lexus would get mauled at the local stock auctions :D

I believe you can get petrol only 450s if you are happy to buy an import. Only the hybrid is officially imported to the UK, but there are other models...

hello,

may i just throw in my observation that when i start up in the morning in my RX400h, the petrol engine always starts, i've never started off on electric first thing in the morning.

Later in the day if i have been on a run, it may then start in electric.

just saying.

ja

hello,

may i just throw in my observation that when i start up in the morning in my RX400h, the petrol engine always starts, i've never started off on electric first thing in the morning.

Later in the day if i have been on a run, it may then start in electric.

just saying.

ja

Yes, usually thats the protocol, cold start.....engine first to warm up the cabin etc. But once running the car as you say will want to start on electric traction, doesn't make a difference to the towing capacity though.

I tow a 1600kg caravan perfectly fine with my hybrid but, yes, the towing limit is 2000kg. However, the towing limit for the RX300 is also 2000kg, so if you've been happy towing (illegally :devil: ) with your 300, you'll be fine with the hybrid.

Ignore the rubbish about the electric motors not having the oommph - mine can happily pull my van from a standstill without me touching the accelerator. Once you do press the accelerator slightly further, the engine kicks in and you're off.

I tow a 1600kg caravan perfectly fine with my hybrid but, yes, the towing limit is 2000kg. However, the towing limit for the RX300 is also 2000kg, so if you've been happy towing (illegally :devil: ) with your 300, you'll be fine with the hybrid.

Ignore the rubbish about the electric motors not having the oommph - mine can happily pull my van from a standstill without me touching the accelerator. Once you do press the accelerator slightly further, the engine kicks in and you're off.

Its not rubbish, your towing well below the limit so it will work fine, try towing a 3000kg trailer and tell Lexus when something goes "pop" and see what the reaction will be..... :rolleyes:

Also do not forget that once over approx 30mph (depending upon model year) the electric traction is supplimented by the IC engine cutting in and the electric traction from MG2 is only used when extra power is required, your effectively then towing with a front wheel drive IC engined vehicle, not a 4X4 :D

The OP is talking about towing above the limit at approx 2500kgs.....apart from any mechanical issues, it will be illegal!

• Like 1

Its not rubbish, your towing well below the limit so it will work fine, try towing a 3000kg trailer and tell Lexus when something goes "pop" and see what the reaction will be..... :rolleyes:

Also do not forget that once over approx 30mph (depending upon model year) the electric traction is supplimented by the IC engine cutting in and the electric traction from MG2 is only used when extra power is required, your effectively then towing with a front wheel drive IC engined vehicle, not a 4X4 :D

The OP is talking about towing above the limit at approx 2500kgs.....apart from any mechanical issues, it will be illegal!

My issue was more that the OP said he was towing 2500 kg with an RX300 and he was being told that a hybrid wouldn't be able to do that. Like you say, it is strictly illegal but my point was, if an RX300 can do it, the RX400 will be able to as well - the electric motors are not going to be a problem.

Obviously, I wouldn't even try this personally, either with the 300 or the 400 - the towing limit is there for a reason and why risk the damage/strain, never mind the consequences of an accident and the subsequent fallout. Get a hefty old Landcruiser...

Are the towing capacities of the RX300 and RX400h the same? If they are then obviously there will be no problem either of them towing up to the legal limit, but if the 400h has a lower limit, it is there fo a reason.

Are the towing capacities of the RX300 and RX400h the same? If they are then obviously there will be no problem either of them towing up to the legal limit, but if the 400h has a lower limit, it is there fo a reason.

As I said in my first post :whistling: , yes, both have a 2000kg towing limit.... :shifty:

Sorry I didn't comit to memory your post :innocent: , well both will be fine up to the limit, but I would still be more aware of a higher payload if towing with the hybrid than the more conventional drivetrain of the 300.