Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looks Like A Nice One.

Rialas

Looks really nice but is this price steep (£20k) for a 6 speed. I think I would want a 2010 at that price seeing that you'll be paying the higher road tax premium anyway. Still, I suppose they cost a fare amount new.

I'm tempted to part-ex already :)

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271394872616?cmd=VIDESC

_12.JPG

It is not 'nice' at that price. its unsalable.

I cant believe anyone would want one at that price. The stupid road tax rules that charge any car after March 2006 a premium (£480 instead of £280) a year is just not acceptable to me. This was a product of the mad Scottish Chancellor who wasn't interested in fair economics.

The only MK 2 (6 speed) to buy is a late 2005 early 2006 and there are not many of them.

I have one.

It should be worth a lot more than it is.. But I am sure I know why it isn't.

Many people who like the SC430 sadly don't have a clue about what they are buying and how to do it effectively. Or is that harsh ?

Totally 'not nice' for that money. Even a Lexus approved/warrantied 2006/7 with 30K miles would only be £14/16,000. Mileage quite that low might concern some. Later wheels are nice but what is it you are tempted by... the colour?

Not really tempted by this one and I certainly prefer the colour of mine.

I'd certainly be tempted by a 2010. It would just feel good owning the last year of the model. Not sure the £200 per year extra road tax really matters in the bigger scheme of things when comparing the running costs ie maintenence and fuel bills.

Low mileage is always a bonus to me, even though others might think that's a concern?

But agreed, a bit pricey for a 2007.

Not really tempted by this one and I certainly prefer the colour of mine.

I'd certainly be tempted by a 2010. It would just feel good owning the last year of the model. Not sure the £200 per year extra road tax really matters in the bigger scheme of things when comparing the running costs ie maintenence and fuel bills.

Low mileage is always a bonus to me, even though others might think that's a concern?

But agreed, a bit pricey for a 2007.

I don't like the idea of paying an extra £200 a year to the treasury for nothing. A car registered 3 months or so after mine pays it and I don't ? It build up over the years if you intend to keep the car.

Fuel costs on the 430SC are not high for me its a very economical car and 30mpg is easily achievable on any longish run. As for maintenance I only pay Lexus prices when I have to getting most work done (and its not been much ) by an experienced professional automotive engineer who does the lot. In the dealer you not only pay top price for work and parts but most of the work is done by some spotty kid on work experience and they really couldn't care less most of the time.

The age of the car to me is immaterial who cares ? Only those who want the neighbours to be impressed I suppose. I care about the car not other people so the number plate means nothing to me. Them days are long gone.

Condition and specification are what count not date of reg so it just shouldn't be a criteria for taxation. I suppose its a tax on snobs !!

Here is another one alphacat.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111277441157?cmd=VIDESC

55 plate with the later wheels so I would presume 6 speed although no mention. Mileage too high for my liking. But would be the lower tax band.

The tax band system is a bit unfair.

I'm holding out for a 2010. The neighbour has a 2009. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another one alphacat.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111277441157?cmd=VIDESC

55 plate with the later wheels so I would presume 6 speed although no mention. Mileage too high for my liking. But would be the lower tax band.

The tax band system is a bit unfair.

I'm holding out for a 2010. The neighbour has a 2009. :)

I know its ended now but I have viewed the picture and I don't think that car has the 2006 model wheels its just got the old ones with the disc removed. So my guess is its 5 speed.

I am lucky all my neighbours cars are crap...

Where's lexusman :)

Here's one.

2005 6 speed. I'd be tempted to take a look if it wasn't so far from me. http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lexus/sc/lexus-sc-430-------------------2005/2128985

That's exactly the same as mine apart from the mileage same colour same interior.

Mine had done 49000 miles but it only cost me £12450 nearly two years ago.

Here's one.

2005 6 speed. I'd be tempted to take a look if it wasn't so far from me. http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lexus/sc/lexus-sc-430-------------------2005/2128985

am on it mate :)

i sent him a email,its a mint car for sure but far to much for that year

i think the car is 10k and no more,and am really holding out for a silver one,as black is a bitch to keep clean

It's a shame no one is prepared to pay good money for these cars.

With that mileage, at £13k I don't think it would be a bad buy. But I'm also a silver person.

Here's one.

am on it mate :)

i sent him a email,its a mint car for sure but far to much for that year

i think the car is 10k and no more,and am really holding out for a silver one,as black is a bitch to keep clean

I don't think £10000 is a reasonable offer for a car with that mileage and in that condition. I would have snapped it up at that. Its spring and it will sell. a reasonable price for that car is around £12000 £12500. maybe a little less if it has a short MOT and no tax.

As for the colour I hate silver it just doesn't cut it with me. I take the point about black being difficult to keep clean but when it is it cant be beat in my view. If I didn't have Black Ivory 6 speed 2005 (low road tax) I would buy it myself.

the problem is

you can buy the same looking car for half the money

yes it may have a 100k on it,but thats nothing for a 4.3 v8 lexus

put a plate on it and no one will tell the difference

You cant buy one for half the money.. Not a 2006 'model' with that suspension and that gearbox. True others may 'look' the same but it doesn't 'drive' the same and the Mk 1 just isn't as good. Not by along way. Personally I buy a car for how it drives as well as how it looks. I would also argue that 100k is 'something' for any car. Put it on a rolling road and its often very surprising just how much is lost. not to mention wear and tear in other areas mileage is far worse than years in making a car deteriorate. Some of the bits that do can be expensive.

think you will find a car with high miles that has sat on the motorway all its life is far better than a low millage car that has been sat around and only used around town

100k is nothing,ive had ls400 in here with 300k on them and still sounding mint

my old v8 soarer has got 225k and never ever go wrong

road test from a 07 sc430 (6)

The SC430's speed-sensitive, power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering somehow manages to get it exactly wrong. The system's too heavy when you'd expect it to be low-effort, and numb and vague when you expect it to sharpen-up. The double wishbone suspension also inverts expectations. It crashes at low speeds and floats when hustled. What's more, visibility is atrocious from inside the pillbox.

seems they no better than an old 2001 ?

think you will find a car with high miles that has sat on the motorway all its life is far better than a low millage car that has been sat around and only used around town

I think your wrong for all sorts of reasons...mainly engineering ones. I would admit if cars have 'equal' mileage the one that has done less runs of low temperature and less stops and starts is far better. By comparison but your not making a comparison.

Although I admit cars do need to be driven, high mileage has its pitfalls and they are of course huge.

Materials and components are only made to last so long, not in time but in hours of use.

Issues such as wear and tear are obvious, not so obvious is temperature cycle degradation. Stops and starts give more wear than many miles of motoring so when you buy a car with high mileage it could be an indication of the issues mentioned but it could be much, much worse if the car has had many stops and starts or short runs below optimum working temperature etc.

On average BHP will drop by 30% for every 100,000 miles unless particular measures are taken (often expensive ones) to make some of this this up.

The fact is if you have a car from new or from very low miles you know the history and that's important. But when buying a car you have no idea, apart from whats on the clock, so a healthy respect for the deterioration caused by high mileage is sensible.

road test from a 07 sc430 (6)

The SC430's speed-sensitive, power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering somehow manages to get it exactly wrong. The system's too heavy when you'd expect it to be low-effort, and numb and vague when you expect it to sharpen-up. The double wishbone suspension also inverts expectations. It crashes at low speeds and floats when hustled. What's more, visibility is atrocious from inside the pillbox.

seems they no better than an old 2001 ?

Only if you agree with that particular road test and I certainly don't having driven both cars. It was written at a time knocking the SC430 was popular (thanks to Top Gear who are don't forget two people who are confused by engineering and one musician) I admit one fact that the the 'suspension doesn't sharpen' up but then its not numb either.

I drive my car far too fast and notice none of the above even compared to my last car an Audi S4 which if anything was front heavy and much more effort. The visibility from inside the SC430 is also more than satisfactory considering its low roof line and the fact that its a convertible.

The above is written as if the journalist (for want of a better word)was expecting to drive a sports car and the Sc 430 has never made any pretence (thankfully) to be one of them. Its a comfortable, effortless, capable, reasonably powerful, quiet, long distance cruiser, with room for a few bags and the roof comes off... That's what it is and that's what it does very well. The Mk2 does it better particularly as far as the suspension is concerned but more importantly due to the excellent 6 speed box where on lo

ng runs even at motor way speeds and a bit above 30 mpg is easily achievable. I don't know where the quoted piece comes from but I do remember reading one used car test on Piston Heads for the SC430 that said exactly the opposite.

PS I believe even Top Gear had a rethink after the Mk2 was tested particularly as a second hand buy.

The sc430 replaced my Z4MC and it feels like a boat compared to the MC. But I do respect the sc for what it is, effortless luxury.

Really doubt there would be a big difference from the mk1 or mk2 SC tbh, compared to what I was used to.

I have the 6 speed on my 2011 is250, and having the 5 speed sc really isn't a hardship.

A low mileage car is going to generally feel "newish" compared to a high miler.

Would easily be worth 3/4k more than a high miler, especially when you take into account the cost of the car when new.

I think your wrong for all sorts of reasons...mainly engineering ones. I would admit if cars have 'equal' mileage the one that has done less runs of low temperature and less stops and starts is far better. By comparison but your not making a comparison.

Although I admit cars do need to be driven, high mileage has its pitfalls and they are of course huge.

Materials and components are only made to last so long, not in time but in hours of use.

Issues such as wear and tear are obvious, not so obvious is temperature cycle degradation. Stops and starts give more wear than many miles of motoring so when you buy a car with high mileage it could be an indication of the issues mentioned but it could be much, much worse if the car has had many stops and starts or short runs below optimum working temperature etc.

On average BHP will drop by 30% for every 100,000 miles unless particular measures are taken (often expensive ones) to make some of this this up.

The fact is if you have a car from new or from very low miles you know the history and that's important. But when buying a car you have no idea, apart from whats on the clock, so a healthy respect for the deterioration caused by high mileage is sensible.

wow my v8 soarer with 225k had 250bhp when new

so now its only got just over 100bhp :eerrrmm:

My MK1 suspension is the worst I've had on pretty much any car, I prefer my 1966 Humber for ride quality! That said it is effortless and great fun on foreign motorways, I wouldn't change it :)

wow my v8 soarer with 225k had 250bhp when new

so now its only got just over 100bhp :eerrrmm:

Very probably ....

My MK1 suspension is the worst I've had on pretty much any car, I prefer my 1966 Humber for ride quality! That said it is effortless and great fun on foreign motorways, I wouldn't change it :)

Yes I have driven a couple of Mk1s and have owned a Mark 2 for nearly 2 years the suspension difference is very noticeable. My Log book even has an addendum notifying that the cars is fitted with the 2006 uprated suspension. The poor suspension on the Mk1 was legendary. That said my Mk 2 is effort less and great fun on Uk motorways and back roads. ( I hate Europe)

I also owned a Humber Sceptre for a few years bought it in 1972 (I think it was a 1966 car) in Mettallic green with a 1600 cc engine (later ones had the all aluminium Rootes 1725 cc engine) It had over drive in 3 and 4th brilliant car in all sorts of ways.

I have a 1966 mercedes with air suspension. Truly advanced for it's era. It goes round corners like a boat in hurricane winds. Nearly as bad as the Lexus lol.