Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help, Please

Curently I own a Jaguar XF 3.0 D. I love its accelaration, refinement, serenity and quietness, but because it`s a diesel, it is not suited to my regular short trips and small mileage, although I usually make longer annual journeys to Scotland. I find it annoying to be repeatedly presented with the message "DPF full", necessitating me to spend inconvenient time at a constant speed on a motorway (the recommended cure) until the annoying message disappears. The diesel particulate filter is appalling technology for anyone not making regular long runs.

For that reason, I am thinking of a change to a petrol engined car. I considered an Audi A3 1.4 petrol. It`s performance was surprisingly good and I thought the instrumentation better than the Jaguar, but an extended test drive made me realize that I could not part with my Jaguar for that. On broken road surfaces, what were merely subdued, remote and distant minor thuds in the Jaguar became uncomfortable jolts to the posterior and spine in the Audi. I have also considered, but not tried a BMW3 (having previously owned a BMW 5) (six cylinder), but I think I would find it`s engine noisy and reading complaints on a BMW forum about excessive wind noise also deterred me from that.

So I come to be considering an IS 300h. Obviously, I am going to be advised to have a test drive and I intend to do that, but it would also be helpful if any member with previous or current experience of a Jaguar XF could comment.

If youre coming from an XF, i would say you would be pretty pleased with the IS300h.

However, on a size by size comparison, you may find it much smaller as the XF is a mid sized saloon so it goes head to head with the GS!

In my opinion, the quality of materials in the GS are better than that in the XF. The vinyl like leather in the XF and hard plastic door handles didnt do it for me. I think a GS450h would suit you very nicely, it has tonnes of power! 340bhp if I recall correctly and of course the refinement is top notch. I have a feeling you may be disappointed by the 300h engine as it has about 220hp but the GS is now also available with the 300h.

If you want to go down the second hand route, there are many GS450h's on the Lexus website which are going for very good prices! You can get a 1 year old GS450h F Sport for about £38k.

A review to possibly help you out on the GS450h -

And a few cars on the Lexus Website - http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-GS/GS-450h/3.5-F-Sport/Hessle/3339172-604234492-1609623.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-GS/GS-450h/3.5-F-Sport/Birmingham/3339172-604197386-1607039.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

No picture on the above but that colour is amazing in person.

Thanks Rayaan, but if I am to change, I would welcome the IS 300h smaller size. I do find the Jaguar XF to be inconvenient for parking in some places and not good for the narrow country roads with accompanying stone walls with which I am surrounded in this area.

Harry, I think you should certainly test drive an IS300h, but a Luxury or Premier rather than an F Sport if you're wanting to sacrifice as little as possible of the legendary Jaguar comfort factor. I've been really pleased with my 2009 IS250 and was on the verge of ordering an IS300h Premier until I had an extended test drive. The petrol/electric powertrain is wonderfully smooth, quiet, economic and free of the DPF problems that afflict modern diesel powered cars. However, I found the IS300h ride and seats were just too firm, although I think you'd find the Lexus much better than the A3. There are many who praise the IS300h ride and, unlike me, think it's an improvement upon the IS2 so it might just be a personal issue with my back or something.

I've considered moving up a size in car in the search for more comfort. As Rayaan says there are some temptingly priced nearly new GS400h cars available. I've had a brief test drive and while it's a very impressive car I think it'd be just a bit too large and the handling was a little too "limo" like for my tastes and the sort of motoring I'm now doing.

So, like you, I'm looking around at IS300h sized or smaller alternatives. I had a brief test drive in a BMW3 but thought it really disappointing in terms of noise, vibration and quality compared with the Lexus. I'm currently focused on the new Mercedes C Class which is due for UK launch in June. It has an air suspension option so the ride quality should be good and there are lots of interesting high tech gadgets. My main concern would be it's reliability compared with the 100% standard I've enjoyed with Lexus over the past 5 years. For that reason I now think I'll hang on to my IS250 until the end of this year.

Obviously the choice of car is a very individual thing but the process of checking out the alternatives is interesting although occasionally a bit frustrating. I hope my musings chime a little with your situation.

Im used to the BIG AMERICAN feeling in a car so I prefer having something larger but the IS300h is a great car. Not too sure about performance though as the IS250 is faster. 300h does have more useable torque though so its not something you'd notice!

The NEW Merc C Class looks good but only in Sport trim which I know as a fact will have a terrible ride like the new CLA!

Do you think the 250 is faster? I'm not so sure, and definitely, as you say, mid range the 300 is better.

I'd never buy another Merc. My CLK was nice to look at but not much else. Terrible customer service, made you feel like they'd done you a favour selling you a car. Absolute robbers ( at least they tried to) when I handed it back at the end of the lease.

Do you think the 250 is faster? I'm not so sure, and definitely, as you say, mid range the 300 is better.

I'd never buy another Merc. My CLK was nice to look at but not much else. Terrible customer service, made you feel like they'd done you a favour selling you a car. Absolute robbers ( at least they tried to) when I handed it back at the end of the lease.

The 250 is faster from my test drives where my salesman was kind enough to let me go for it! I got a 0-60mph time of 7.6 seconds on it compared to 8.2 seconds on the 300h, bearing in mind that both vehicles were on premium Super unleaded fuel.

300h has instant torque and this is what makes it "feel" faster and it has amazing in gear acceleration. However, the 250 seems slower due to the smooth V6 and less torque, but I did find it to be faster in reality. Does need to be floored though!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links