Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So...

I sort of owned this for a few days.

IS 220D, 175 bhp carting about 1.7 tons of Japanese luxury!

Unfortunately it was a love/hate relationship.

Love

Comfort

Build Quality

Some oddity gadgets like heated windscreen wiper part (not the whole screen)

Comfort access, walk up in the dark and the lights come on

Heated and Cooling leather seats

White LED dash

Think that's where it ended!

Hated

The engine

Noisy

Revs really low, often had to drop down to 5th on dual carriageway/motorway at speeds of 65/70 mph

Not very economical for a diesel (average 35.9 mpg)

Big, heavy and handled like a boat

Biggest thing was it's a liability.

This forum is really informative and I thank the members who did reply to my posts and questions, not that it was many.

There are plenty of posts warning about the early IS's problems with the engines (reading up last night)

Head gasket issues

5th Injector issues

EGR Valves

List goes on

So whilst I thought a bit of comfort would be nice, it was very short lived

I'd like to particularly thank Normski2 who is very helpful on this forum

Pics

post-49449-0-27773900-1392148140_thumb.jpost-49449-0-61692700-1392148143_thumb.jpost-49449-0-35344500-1392148147_thumb.jpost-49449-0-10244700-1392148151_thumb.jpost-49449-0-25573900-1392148154_thumb.jpost-49449-0-97553700-1392148157_thumb.jpost-49449-0-17780000-1392148161_thumb.j

Not sure when I will be back in a Lexus, so bye bye for now :)

Did you take it back to the dealer? Got your money back? I'm sorry you didn't like it, all I would say is that if you do enough research about any car you will will be scared off, people will always write about there problems and very rarely spend time to praise their car on the internet. That's not to say that I don't worry about certain aspects of my car. I do worry about the HG going but all the other things you mention can happen to any modern diesel, egr valves are a pain, dpf's are a pain and the 5th injector should have been sorted on recall.

If i lived in the UK there is no way I would own a 220d, the mpg does not make any sense to own a diesel when diesel is more expensive than petrol. The is220d is pointless in the UK when the is250 is available. You can't even use 6th gear legally over there.

I had an IS220D as a courtesy car once during a service - I hated it. I found the handling to be too pointy and nervous - it was a much more tiring car to drive than my regular one. And I race karts as a hobby - I have no problem driving sideways when desired.

Strange ... Love mine ... Yeah head gasket went but Lexus put a new engine in free under warranty ... 6 year old car ... Bet other makes wouldn't do that ... Love the comfort and the handling ... Yeah the mpg ain't great but it's better than my last car lol

Handling is fine for me too. it's my first RWD car and it feels a lot different to anything else I've ever driven and in a good way. It doesn't feel it's weight, it's nice to drive a car that doesn't under steer massively. It's no go kart but if I wanted that I'd by a "hot hatch". It is a very comfortable car which is what I wanted

Hi I would also agree the petrol 250 is much better. I have a automatic and get around 34mpg so not bad.

One thing thou, my lights don't come on when walking up to the car or opening the doors with the remote, can someone help me with this as it would be very handy for this time of the year plus I have new addition to the family,

Thank you

Hi Ishaq.

I have a IS250 SE and my lights (under the mirrors) come on when I walk up to the car. I certainly have not "set" anything to make them do that. Not sure if it is a feature on certain specs or not. As people have mentioned it is a nice touch in the dark.

Have no experience of the IS220d so can't really add any useful comments to the main theme I am afraid. However I would agree that all diesels seem to have the same issues and at least Lexus are taking some form of responsible for correcting some of the issues.

I too had the 220d for about 12months and was very pleased with it. I only changed it for the IS250 because of the very low annual mileage that I do since retiring from work. I did many posts on here about what I did to minimise the chances of getting any of the oft mentioned engine problems and I had a considerable amount of success too.

One of the threads that I started, was showing the considerable increase in mpg that I achieved following the use of a particular product for cleaning the EGR valve.

here is the link http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/76569-problems-headed-off-at-the-pass

Now that I have the IS250 I have run through the system a couple of tanks full of fuel containing AR6400 and, I now use the required amount of AR6200 at every fill-up

Yeah, and I know that every car model has it's problems someway or another and that people will only post up usually when they have the issues, that said, I bought the car with no warranty.

it's a 2006 with 115k miles. Only first 2 stamps were Lexus, the rest some garage in Liverpool. I just know that if I got any problems with the HG, It is doubtful I would of had any goodwill from Lexus.

I didn't pay too much attention to the engine bay area, but the heating did get up to temp inside the cabin. The engine temperature never did get to halfway on the dash display, not sure if it's like that on all?

MPG, on the 50 odd mile trip, I averaged 35.9, but it was on my to do list to clean up the EGR valve.

I also spoke to a friend of the family that works in Deeside Toyota who asked why on earth did I get one of those, that was the icing on the cake really!

The car was bought from a dealership, he only offers 30 days to put it right if something goes wrong. I got my car I part exchanged back minus a few ££ for the advertising and admin etc. Yes potentially could of gone doen the sales of good route if it was after that time but then the car had 115k miles on and was 4.5 grand.

It's a real shame as it was really nice and comfortable, in some ways nicer than the BMW E60 I have previously had. Funnily they were prone to digestiing the swirl flaps on the 6 pot diesels, (I had mine removed)!

Yes, the interior and mirror lights would come on if I walked close to the car, but it did have comfort access so assumed it was part of the package.

Hi Geoff

Is AR6400 and AR6200 required for the IS250 and if it is, what benefits does it achieve?

I know there have been comments about carbon build up in these, however I was under the impression that was mostly in the US due to the low octane petrol.

I have been using BP ultimate fuel to try and keep the engine as free from carbon as possible but I would be interested in your comments.

(I apologise that this is not following the thread of the original comment, but I would be interested to hear about this, although it would maybe be more appropiate to start another thread)

Morning Bobby, As a point of interest I always use Shell fuel along with the AR products and am really pleased in every way regarding my car. The acceleration and economy are very much to my liking, along with the comfort of the car etc.

Have a look at this site and have a read up on the AR6400 and the AR6200, you can make your mind up from there.

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

Hi Bobby,

Thank you for your reply.

What I meant was the headlights coming on when you walk up to the car or unlock your doors - Can this be done?

I do have the illumination of the interior lights (LED) and folding mirrors which have the puddle lights (LED), which are great, just wondering if the above can be done like some other cars have.

I think its called see you home light or something :unsure:

Hi Ishaq

In relation to the headlights, I have not had them coming on so not sure if that can be done.

Geoff, thanks for the link and I will have a read over this and may have some more questions.

Cheers

Bobby