Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Solved Crack Sound From Centre Console

At last ... Remove centre console ... Remove metal brackets each side of stereo ... Remove yellow plastic cover from back of air con control ... You need to put foam between the black plastic and yellow plastic where the screws go ... I pushed small pieces of foam over the screws so it would stay in place.

Replace yellow plastic ... For good measure I pushed foam were the yellow tags go through the side of the black side casing (you'll see what I mean )

Replace metal brackets with foam between yellow plastic and metal as extra sound proofing. Replace centre console

I've done a few hours now with heater on and NO crack sound ... Usually it would crack pop after 20 mins

Hope this helps

• Like 3

Thank you for that, Excellent work, should help some other members, as there have been quite a few having this problem.

Thread pinned and contributor star awarded.

Well done.

It's under warranty that anyway mate .its a fault of Lexus ,they done mine free . Scratched the console and gear knob of corse taking the stereo out but hey why wouldn't they , muppets .

Sold that car now but I made them put it right .

Just be carefull anyone taking the stereo out the meal brackets are so easily caught on the dash etc .

Well done...glad you have fixed it. It is a right pain in the a..e having that go of after 10 mins driving.

It may well be a known fault but you try and get Lexus to sort it.....reluctant is all I will say.

Let's hope a few others can get the same result too.

Well done...glad you have fixed it. It is a right pain in the a..e having that go of after 10 mins driving.

It may well be a known fault but you try and get Lexus to sort it.....reluctant is all I will say.

Let's hope a few others can get the same result too.

Must be difference of dealers , mine didn't even question the problem they just booked it in and sorted , wish I had done if myself though ha I knew what to do too cos i seen it done on the Internet . Wouldn't have had my console damaged .

Are any tools required for this, and how long does it take? I've installed stereos in older cars, so I'm not a complete muppet, but usually you need to have some tools on hand and know which pieces of plastic to pry in which order.

Are any tools required for this, and how long does it take? I've installed stereos in older cars, so I'm not a complete muppet, but usually you need to have some tools on hand and know which pieces of plastic to pry in which order.

Take a look at this

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/610678-frozen-navigation-screen-fix-diy.html

Don't be mislead by the title it will demonstrate quite nicely how to remove the entire unit. You need to know about those little tabs in the vents or you could easily bust something.

Hope that helps you. I used this to guide me some of the way on taking the unit out on my old 220d.

• 6 months later...

Apologies if this has been done to death already but is this crack noise the same as the irritating crack/creak noise coming from the top of my dashboard around the centre speaker/air vent area?

Hope it is this, as it would be great to put an end to the noise.

Apologies for another dumb question. The issue describes here is a cracking sound after a while with the heater on. I have only had my Is a few weeks, and I get a cracking sound when I put the aircon on when it's a hot day. It only happens a few tines, once the temp has dropped and the fan slows(on auto mode) the noise stops. So it seems to be the plastic contracting as it cools. Without using air con I've got no noise at all. I'm reluctant to start pulling my console apart as I said there is only get a few cracks for a few mins then stops. My question is - have I got the same issue here? I've never had the heater on yet....