Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Solved Crack Sound From Centre Console

Apologies for another dumb question. The issue describes here is a cracking sound after a while with the heater on. I have only had my Is a few weeks, and I get a cracking sound when I put the aircon on when it's a hot day. It only happens a few tines, once the temp has dropped and the fan slows(on auto mode) the noise stops. So it seems to be the plastic contracting as it cools. Without using air con I've got no noise at all. I'm reluctant to start pulling my console apart as I said there is only get a few cracks for a few mins then stops. My question is - have I got the same issue here? I've never had the heater on yet....

If its the crack sound then it will sound like a ball bearing hitting the windscreen...it is really loud

If its little snicks and snacks that are not loud then I'd say its not the same thing.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

OK so I plan to buy a 2009 Is 250. How can I tell if the creaking dashboard has already been fixed?

How soon does it start after you drive away?

Is it worse on uneven surfaces? Or on cold mornings?

Does the heated make it better or worse?

OK so I plan to buy a 2009 Is 250. How can I tell if the creaking dashboard has already been fixed?

How soon does it start after you drive away?

Is it worse on uneven surfaces? Or on cold mornings?

Does the heated make it better or worse?

I think there are 2 main issues :

rattling dashboard - fixed where you have to put something between the windscreen and dash to solve - a common problem on early cars - the clips that held the dash in place where too large allowingthe dash to move - this I'm pretty sure was fixed on the face-lift 2009 onward cars with better sized clips fitted at build. Mine is a 59 plate registered Sept 2009 and doesn't have this problem. I bought it used and have all the servicing maintainence paperwork and there is no mention of this problem being fixed or worked on.

The second issue is a crack sound from within the dashboard - behind the climate control panel. My car does have this, and it seems to be related to significant change of temperature:

1. Most noticable when its very cold and the heater is on high setting for 20 mins or so. Its a one off loud crack caused by the plastics expanding. It is loud, so much so its made me jump once or twice. Sounds like a ball bearing has hit your windscreen at high speed.

2 the opposite of the above - very hot and colling\ air con on a low temp setting. In this case though its a quieter noise, but again generally just once.

For temperatures in between - mild heating or mild cooling - either doesnt happen or is very quiet. With no heating or air con on, doesnt happen at all.

It is not related to car movement eg uneven surfaces.

To be honest it either doesnt happen or is quiet most of the time, and if it does only happens once per journey if it occurs at all, Ive never bothered about it.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My model year is 2007. I don't appear to have either the dashboard rattle or the dashboard crack problem. What I do have is a rattle from the upward facing speaker in the centre of the dash and even then only when I'm on poor road surfaces. 

I believe rattle was always the one "from central speaker"... so it seems you do actually have rattle.

The crack was some badly designed mounting points and was repaired by Lexus warranty in some cars, so you might be one of them.

5 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Oh that's interesting, in that case I will have to try the foam insert fix to see if that does cure my rattle 

No.. foam cures the crank, not the rattle. I heard people have squeezed paper clips and other stuff between the speaker grill and windshield to stop the rattle. I guess double sided foamy tape would do the job, if you add small bits in few places before replacing the grill.

• 3 months later...

• 9 months later...

I remember when i was a tech at lexus there was an official repair for this cracking noise from the heater/radio controls. You had to strip the panel down and remove the circuit board, then had to stick these small circular stickers on the board where it bolts to the casing then refit everything

• Like 1