Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Knock Front Suspension

ikgs300

1995 GS300

Ive developed a knock on the front off-side. Happens with bumps and pot holes and can be felt on the steering wheel.

I thought ball joints, so had these checked and all ok.

My friends garage spent the whole afternoon checking for play / wear in ball joints,all control arms and bushes inc roll bar.

Over the last year replaced quite a few of the bushes as well.

Could find no problem.

Got another garage to look, couldn't identify it but made lots of suggestions. But when asked to show me the prob they admitted couldn't find it.

Then tried dealer, same thing.

Car flew through MOT. I even advised them of the knock and they couldn't find any play/wear in any MOT components.

In case anyone thinks I have finally lost the last few marbles I had, everyone who's checked car heard the knock on road test. So its not just me.LOL

Has anyone got any ideas on what to look at next.

Thanks guys and girls.

• 4 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

I had a sound from Front N/S and it was driving me crazy - took it to everyone and anyone I could find apart from main dealer. National in Enfield recommended I change the shock absorber straight off the bat, as did Albin Motors in SE26 because it seemed as if it was coated in oil and therefore potentially a burst seal. However in the early stages it provided good damping and the bounce test was not conclusive and therefore I was hesitant to change a part what I knew was not going to be a cheap job (Albin quoted £323 each side).

I left and the noise eventually got worse and then did the bounce test again some three weeks later and the Front N/S was like a trampoline - problem solved. All other parts were fine. Replaced the shock - part from Lexus Hatfield and fitted by Motor Masters at High Rod, Ilford IG3 and it solved the problem immediately - no more knocking!!! Oh yeah they all recommended doing x2 and I told them to rod off! Motor Masters did not however? I have had no issues with changing only one shock - no need for anyone to reply with tsk tsk - I don't give a :tsktsk: .

They charged me £50 for fitting a shock absorber! And they did it while I waited. Outstanding service and I would recommend if you can to take it to them for fault finding too if you ever come near the London area. It was the first time I used them and I felt they were friendly, welcoming and incredibly knowledgeable. They even re-build engines, anyway had a good old chinwag with one of the owners (Hamal)!

Anyhow - hopefully I haven't been teaching you to suck eggs - but if none of the parts are showing excessive wear then the only thing really for it is either to let the problem get worse so potentially an at fault part will stand out on inspection or start replacing some of the cheaper less expensive parts. I know you said you had some of the bushings done - but I suspect a lot of issues on many cars' suspension is probably just a faulty drop link or anti roll bar. National in Enfield quoted me around £62 to replace one - but I reckon if you're handy you can buy the part and do it your self - probably both sides for sixty quid and there are loads of how to videos on the net/ youtube - I would have done this myself but I just don't have the tools....

Edited by ColinBarber
  • Like 1

Ian, not sure if you have seen this thread, I know it's for IS's but it may be of help:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/85381-is-suspension-issues/page-5#entry878013

I replaced both shocks and suspension top mounts on my Sportcross and my knocking noise has gone.

thanks woodyk, have had the shocks looked at, they are fine, no leaks and the car is solid. But I like your idea about the drop links. Will have a look at them in the next few days. Again thanks for your suggestions.

It might be nothing to do with suspension. My GS had noise when going around left hand bends which I was convinced were from o/s/f wheel, as were a couple of mechanics on test drives. On inspection neither could find anything wrong......suspected it was a disc backing plate. My local garage had a look and found nothing at front but discovered a corroded o/s/r back plate. They removed disc and cleaned up the disc back plate and no noise anymore!

Also check the arb bushes while you are looking at the drop links.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

Thats what stopped the knocking on mine! Also took the opportunity to to replace them with poly type bushes.

Thanks for the advice. Have ordered arb bushes and drop links. Car goes in for for MOT at the beginning of Sept so will change them just before. Will let you know how it goes..