Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice On Buying A 2003 Rx 300 Se-L

Hiya guys/girls.

I am new to the club and am hoping some of you knowledgable folk can help me out.

I am looking at a RX 300 SE-L 2003 on this coming saturday and wondering if there was any advice on what to keep my eye out for...its the mark 2 with air suspension, and all the toys...

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Glyn

Just buy it on condition and history, if it has a history with big gaps or missing years forget it...........also make sure the air suspension works correctly and play with every switch and wait until each item actually operates fully.

Check the make of the tyres also, if it has set of cheap tyres or worse still odd tyres all around....its a good indicator that other things have been replaced cheaply or even ignored!

What dealer is it from, or maybe private sale?

Cheers Boxbrownie...

it is from a dealer but not lexus. All the tyres are Hankook Ventus ST, has full Lexus service history and it is in mint condition, in and out. Rather high miles at 130,000 but had a GS with 238,000 on it once so not concerned.

Never driven a car with air suspension....am I in for a treat ?

Thanks again for the sound advice, will let the post know how I went on...

Mileage is fine at that age just about average......tyres are good, in fact I have those on my 2010 MB ML....actually very nice tyres and very quiet and seem great in the wet.

Air suspension should glide along nicely without any crashing or untoward thuds, definately better than steel suspenders!

Come back with the news.......

check the car raises and lowers correctly on the air suspension

the big issue with the air suspension is the compressor (arse expensive)

and the auto level switches, one on each corner, these are in excess of £300 a corner

check you still have your infared headsets and remote for the rear dvd

timing belt should also have been done at 90k miles again another expensive job

Cheers Artherdaley,

so is there a physical check I do on each corner of the suspension or is it a case of making sure it rises, falls and is sat level ?

Has a full lexus history so will check if the timing belt was done around that time.

Not a mechanic so hope theres not more to look out for... :iraqi-info-minister:

easy. on the centre counsol is a switch, right at the bottom, to raise and lower the car

the engine needs to be running

on the dash is a light to denote weather its is in normal, low or high position

just press the switch and make sure it goes up and down

if its knackerd it tends to pump the whole car to the max height for some reason, well mine did

Update...

Sadly the car I saw was not for me. As a result of the advice given I was able to identify a few issues which spoilt the car.

Issues -

1. Small leak from front tranni oil seal

2. Although stated as "full dealer history" this consisted of stamps in log book only and no supporting paperwork

3. Poor spray job on o/s/r wheel arch

4. Tail didn't open via remote

5. Drifting to the left, even taking into account road camber which was at best wheel alignment problem, at worst air suspension issue

A bit of advice for those buying is to make sure you grill the dealer over the phone or via email as to condition and dig a bit further if the answer seems a bit vague to queries. I spent 4 hours travelling and viewing an unsuitable car but, if I hadn't have come on this forum and asked for advice I may have actually BOUGHT an unsuitable car...

Thank you to -

Artherdaley, Boxbrownie and RX300-SE for all the important and relative advice.

The quest goes on...

Glyn

keep looking, there a superb motor, ive just done 100 mile each way into the hearts of the Yorkshire dales

200 miles to half a tank doing average speeds with 4 adults in

quiet comfy relaxed, and flew by

glad I left the golf at home