Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 200 Misfire Problems

Jonesy200

Hey guys I've finally put the lexus back together after having the head rebuilt. before i took it to bits it was misfiring bad an smoking bad. Iv put it back together and it still misfiring but no smoke. i changed all 6 plugs but before the rebuild i had it plugged in and it had random cylinder misfire and p0301 and p0305 codes which were misfiring on 1 and 5 cylinder. Will this be a couple of bad coils? when its running it smells quite bad of fuel and it was same before rebuild so maybe injectors??? any help will be greatly appreciated.

I don't understand why it won't throw a misfire code now if you say it is still misfiring. Surely it would. And what Steve says to do is the way if telling if it is coils so you really want the car to throw those fault codes.... Also clogged cat would throw p0420 and if it's running rich due to a faulty 02 sensor them it would throw 02 sensor codes. Bit of a head scratcher if it's not throwing fault codes and you don't really want to go down the route of replacing parts without knowing for sure if they're faulty!

So iv spent 80 pound today on second hand injectors and she still wont start right. she fires and kind of splutters into life with a ajor misfire if u keep your foot ploughed to the floor but as soon as u take ur foot off it cuts out?? So I thought fuel pump? I pulled the pump out and put a live feed to it u can hear it wizzing but doesnt seem too be pumping ie you cant feel suction etc? so could this be the cause as when you put the ignition on the pump doesnt sound only starts wizzing when it fires a little?

Ok so iv ruled out the fuel pump for now as its getting fuel to the injectors. What i did was i unplugged 1 coil and cranked it and it was trying to start as usual with no change which leads me to think i got a few bad coils? as before I done the rebuild i read the codes and like i said previously it came up with p0301 and p0305 but cleared them silly me. since clearing them the car hasnt run so hasnt given the ecu chance to refind the faults so have i got a case of a few bad coils??

Ok so after tons of research I've finaly found that my timing was out by 180 degrees as I lined up the bottom crank with the first mark on the pully not with the correct second mark. So its cams off tomorrow, set bottom end then refit the cams tdc and hopefully job done!

Ok so iv taken the cams off set the bottom crank to the second notch and refitted cams to tdc etc but now its hitting the valves ie iv rotated manualy. What am I doing wrong??

This may be a silly question as I dont know the cam set up on these cars but are the cams on the correct sides, im only asking because a couple of years ago my mate built a fiesta zetec turbo had it all running etc for a few months then needed to change something when he built it back up had the same problem it wouldn't turn over by hand, my mates a mechanic at vauxhall he couldnt find tge problem sosent car away to the garage that originaly set the car up and mapped it they couldn't find what was wrong then one of our other mates just walked in one day and said " the inlet cam is one the exhaust side you d**k" lol cams swapped over and car ran sweet. Not sure like iv said if the is engine is the same type of set up as I havent stripped mine yet lol

main/exhaust cam on the left and second/inlet cam on the right im 100% certain its that way as they only go in that way lol.. I'm doing something simple wrong but what i dnt knw im baffled lol??

Lol fair enough if they can only go in that way its not that haha, its probably one of these situations whereyou should just go get a bru eat your tea then have another look just double check absolutely everything (as im sure you have been doing already)

Don't forget the crank rotates twice for every cycle,piston comes up on compression stroke then a second time on exhaust stroke.

You need to accertain cylinder 1 TDC on compression stroke as you may be trying to time on exhaust stroke.

The pulley on the cam only goes on 1 way as it has a pin on the cam to line it up on. Am i right in saying if i remove the cams all the valves will spring back thus ableing me to rotate the bottom crank freely which is what iv done? I put a rod in num 1 spark whole and the bottom piston is at its top when the bottom crank is lined up which is right, right??

Ok so after tons of (limited) research I found theres 2 marks on the cam pulley afte catching it in a Youtube video. and 2 at the crank. I lined up 2 wrong. Theres like a circular indent on the cam pulley but theres also a smaller indent to the left around 10 teeth away. USE this mark when finding TDC lol and use the second mark on the bottom crank. Ok so now im clear on timing any problems im now your man lol. I got it started but has misfire so figured now iv started it will the ecu find any codes again that id previously deleted. Thankfully it did:

PO300

PO303

PO305

PO306

So im rounding it down to 3 bad coils if im correct??

Im glad I persisted as last night I was on the brink of breaking it after all my hard work!

• 6 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links