Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

H&r Lowering Springs Or Eibach Pro-Kit?

Mecka

Gave it a shot today. Spent an hour removing the boot liner. It was easier than I expected.

Spent the next 2 hours trying to remove the stubborn bolt that connects the shock assembly to the lower control arm. Tried spraying with WD-40. Tried various bars for more leverage. In the end the socket broke lol...

I think you were lucky Mecka!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, found this really interesting. I've got a 220d and will consider lowering it too. The picks make it look a lot better!

Shuaibakhtar, can I ask what alloys you have on your car in your pics? I've also got a Black Lex and want to tint the rears, smoke the rear light cluster and would love a set of those alloys!

Thanks!

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

The wheels that were on my car at the time were Rota P1's. They were et45 and 8j all round, with the car lowered by 35mm all round, They would naturally sink into the arches and look horrible to make them look good with the car you would require hubcentric spacers. I had 15mm on the fronts and 20mm on the rears and they sat perfect in my eyes, also improved handling a little too.

I am now running the Lexus IS Sport wheels on my car as they caught my fancy. This is what they look like running the same spacers as above.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/70r65g9p83c9y2l/AADyp59do_px98tm2jwaPwY9a

Also smoked my rear lights and reflectors as well as tinted my fog lights yellow. Quite happy with the results! Let me know what you think.

Oh she is a real beauty! Looks awesome, do you mind if I ask how much the alloys set you back? Very, very nice job!

I like the idea of the front fogs, adds a little something. Have you upgraded the headlights at all (I've seen a lot of talk about that).

Did you get the smoked rears done by someone, or DIY?

Thanks for info, really appreciate your time!

Unfortunately my headlights were standard halogen when i brought the car, so all ive done is upgraded the bulbs from halogens to hids and also put LED side light bulbs in to match the lights. I was tempted to buy some headlights with the LED strips in them they do look quite smart. But i think its a lot of money to invest for an LED strip at the bottom of the headlight lol.

The Rota alloys I had were brought second hand however the condition was next to new. Paid around £350 for the set and the great news is they came with pretty new michelin tyres too! The ones I've got on now were a bit more dear as nobody likes to sell them. Paid £200 for the wheels alone, still second hand, got them refurbed for £150 and then had new tyres wrapped around them.

So really does depend if you mind having good condition used wheels or your more of a person where you want everything new.

As for the question regarding the smoked lights. I actually did them myself, just got some flyeyes film and had a go at it. The outer rear lamps are quite tricky as they have pointed edges so you do need patience for it. The rest of them are very easy to cover without creases.

Thanks for the info!

You've made a mighty good looking car. The new alloys are very nice, I may try and hunt down a pair of second hands too. alloys seem so expensive when new!

Yeah, agreed. The led's are a smart piece of kit, but I'm not sure they're worth the money realistically.

I thought I would add to this.

My 250 is lowered and has aftermarket rims. It took me a good while to decide on what springs to use along with working out the ideal rubber and rim (ET) size to give the best clean look without the need for spacers. I know that the use of spacers is a tricky subject, however I didn't want to use spacers if I didn't need to.

You really can achieve a clean line look on the rims to the body. Obviously most of the time to get the right size of whatever you would usually have to buy new...but not necessarily.

My setup now is:

Front - 225/19/35 - ET40

Rear - 265/19/30 - ET40

Eibach Pro USA Spec Lowering Springs - 1.6" Front / 1" Rear

The above gives a very clean line down the side of the car. My rims come out a little then concave so they do stick out a bit before going inwards, however if that's not your thing then some straight rims would be suitable.

Here's a side shot to show you what the setup looks like:

2014-11-09161400-2_zps08dc262c.jpg

2014-10-06132454_zps87b3848c.jpg

Crappy pictures but hopefully does show that with a bit of work you can get a clean line without spacers.

Hi PilgrimIS,

Thanks for the input, your car looks mean! You've got a different grill at the front form the looks of it? What spec was your IS originally, it looks like a different body kit

That's interesting, as I was considering spacers. However, you're suggesting that with the right alloy wheels it is possible to give the same look/impression as spacers would give? I'm assuming that as a result your tyres are massively wide too?

Thanks!

Cheers.

The spec was a standard '07 IS250. It's had a few mods. The front looks a little different as it's had a chrome grille, lower lip and headlight eyelids fitted.

Yes, you are right...the right rims/tyres is key to modifying without the need for spacers. There's a few things to get right to find the clean look on the wheels.

Off Set (ET) - This is how the rim sits on the axle...the lower the ET the further out they will sit. On my model, anything from ET 38 to 45 would fit and shouldn't rub depending on tyres, however ET 45 would sit too far in under the arch for my liking.

Rim Width - As standard the 17" rims are 8j all round, which is 8" wide. However, depending on the rim height it would be better to go for 8.5", 9" or even 9.5". Mine are 8.5" Front and 9.5" Rear.

Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD) - 5x114mm - This will not change

Tyres - This is the tricky bit as tyre size will depend on the above ET and rim width. The wider the rim obviously the wider the tyre can be, however if you have a low ET and a very wide tyre there's more chance for rubbing when turning or cornering hard. The rim height also comes into play as need to try to keep the same diameter for the rim/tyre as OEM. The easy way to think about it is if you go up 2" from 17" to 19" in rim size then you need to go down in tyre profile by as close to the same as possible. The overall diameter needs to stay the same. This not only helps with keeping the look right and also keeping the chance of rubbing down but it also then reduces the potential effect for the speedometer.

So...as mentioned, you need to spend time on what is available on the type of rim you want. I decided a while ago that I would rather buy new and get the lines I wanted without spacers, however I was lucky that the rims I found in the end fitted the width and ET.

It all might sound geeky...but the overall work does pay in the end...

Lots to think about!

Wow, there's a lot more to this than I originally thought!

Nonetheless, it'll look good when it's done and is definitely worth it! Thanks very much for the advice! The grille looks great, I thought that your headlights looked different. I really like them..they have an air of the LS460 about them. Where did you get the grill and headlight eyelids from?

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Yes, definitely worth it!

The grille was from fleabay but the US site. Just search Chrome Grille for your IS and you'll find a load! The Eyelids were from the states also. A Company called NIA Design. here's the link - http://niaautodesign.com/s_lexus.html - Expensive for a but of painted plastic....not many will have them! Some feel it kills the IS lines, however I like the Mean look of them! lol My IS has been given the name Evil-Lexus by a few locals....I like it!

Awesome, thank you..I'll definitely check those out. I love the eyelids on the lights! I presume that they're a stick on job?

Ha ha, well I'm forced to admit that it is a mean looking car! You've done a good job.

Sorry about the huge images, couldnt figure out how to get them smaller, but this picture is before i put the springs onma0e.jpg

and this is after the springs and spacers were done as well as my tints

i5wr.jpg

Hi Shuaibakhtar,

Quick question, been looking at lowering springs myself, where did you get the H&R springs from? and also what size spacers did you get for it? and again where from?

Looking awesome after the springs and spacers love it

Thanks

• 7 months later...

I know this is a long time ago, but might be help someone who is about to lower their car..click on my gallery and you can see my old IS220d sport which i had lowered on Eibach 30mm all round.. it cost me 300 from Demon Tweeks in wrexham that included the lazer tracking to put the car back near stock level, it was just right for my liking and drove very smooth, not as harsh as some lowered cars ive driven.

• 1 month later...

Yes Ryan! I've done mine last weekend as I had a leaking shock on the NSR. Lexus wanted £230 for the part alone. So instead I went through demon tweeks and got a full set of Koni uprated adjustable shocks for £600 delivered. The difference is unreal. Well worth it

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking car! The drop, mixed with the 18" is perfect!

After much deliberating, I've decided to mod my 220d. I've found some 18" that I like (Dare DR X2 gunmetal), I'll tint the rear windows, smoke the rear headlights, will probably paint the brake callipers red, intend to get a tuning chip for the engine and, possibly, a custom dual exit exhaust. Additionally, I'm looking to lower it as well..is it really as simple as just buying a set of new springs (eg Eibach pro) and getting them fitted..?!