Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone ever had a vehicle inspection done?. I see the AA will inspect a car 'from £128 for members' (which I am). It seems quite comprehensive covering around 200 safety and mechanical items. I just wondered if it would be worthwhile on a car that's only valued at around £1500-£2000. I don't want to get caught out like I did last time with all four coil springs broken (£600 to replace)!.I have very little mechanical knowledge unfortunately,but do you need to with an LS?.

I can't say that I have, but I guess you could take the car for an MoT - which would probably be as useful. If the mechanic was amenable (and not too busy), you could offer him a bit extra to look for some of the non-MoT issues (such as possible accident damage, etc.).

• Like 1

There is a way to check the prior MOT Advisories too thru' DVLA or whatever ( or is it VOSA ? ) . you need the log book detail for this, not quite sure anymore but you can look it up on-line I guess.

This should give you a good idea as to anything that's looming for attention that's not already been dealt with and the mileage at that time.

And of course a fresh MOT will tell you everything else that's current.

You can visually check tyre condition etc anyway.

Good luck

Malc

• Like 1

For peace of mind have it done although as mentioned there are cheaper alternatives,should also help reduce the possibilities of there being any nasty and expensive surprises.Having said that do also bear in mind its no guarantee though.

• Like 1

I have had several of these done before and have walked away from three cars. I used :

http://www.mycarinspections.co.uk/vehicle-inspection.php

last time and ended up with a very comprehensive report that highlighted several faults on a 4 year old Toyota Hilux with low mileage that was eventually proved to have been heavily used on a construction site in Kent. The MoT would not have identified impending issues with the 4WD drive train.

Being not highly mechanically savvy, I would not buy a car without an inspection now (If I am not buying from a Dealer with an associated one year warranty.)

• Like 1

Heaven forbid you ever have to use a second-hand car dealer's warranty anyway. Chances are you'd end up in the situation of (1) not knowing where the car is, (2) what work is being carried out and to what standard, (3) when you'll see your car again and (4) what other faults have been created in the process (or parts swapped without your knowledge).

This is exactly what happened to my wife's horsebox which was bought as a new conversion on a second-hand Movano (aka Master) chassis.

When the vehicle developed serious engine trouble, it was returned to the seller at his request. It then basically did a disappearing act for several months. Turned out the work had been outsourced to "Joe Bloggs up the road" - which we only found out after a phone call from said Mr Bloggs. We had been promised many times by the dealer that it was "nearly ready", and "in the process of being test driven" etc. etc., when in fact the remedial work hadn't even been started!

We turned up at the premises unannounced. Imagine a chaotic scrap metal/breaker's yard in a large asbestos shed (without room to swing a cat) and you'll get the picture. The paintwork was scratched, the door was in bits with the panel slung on the seat (when there had been nothing wrong with the door) and the top half of the engine was off, with "parts on order".

Understandably, my wife went ballistic, not just because of the damage, but on account of the fact that we'd been lied to hand over fist by the original seller. He kept saying that he used them "because they are very good at what they do".

In fairness, they did make good on the paintwork and the engine has since been OK, but a worse nightmare you couldn't imagine. In fact, it was one signature away from becoming a legal matter. The mechanic also turned quite nasty towards the end, and I do wonder if he ever got paid by the dealer for the work.

So BEWARE of dealer warranties. No dealer is going to take on warranty work with a good grace.

• Like 1