Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Do You Drive In Manual Mode?

Just wondering how people drive in manual.

1. Do you let the car down shift or do you down shift?

2. Do you use paddles or gear stick?

3. What revs do you change up at?

Stu

Hi mate .if I use manual I use the paddles only I never use the stick it's crap.I don't think it's ever been used it feels stiff .

I change down and up with paddles unless I'm approaching a junction etc .

But mainly I leave it in auto like an old man like lol .

I change up around 5500 ish

Noticed its easier to allow it to shift down when approaching junctions. Often it preempts a shift then I shift so it goes down 2 gears and not one.

Engine and gearbox I reckon.

Don't forget this was the first 8-speed automatic gearbox. Much like the GTR, the box is very complex and sophisticated, and would cost mega bucks to repair if you did manage to knacker it! ;)

I'm rarely in the mood to use manual mode (the auto is spot on most of the time). The throttle controller has certainly cut response times from stock. Still experimenting with all the different settings, but red mode is very responsive! ;)

How much was it Pete and what does it do ,how did you fit it etc .

Stu I noticed even on my brand new is250 advance that was the same in winter as my isf ,sluggish etc and not wanting to dive into gears .infact the 250 I had before that one was the same .

I think autos in general are not keen on winter but ok When warm .

My isf is always garaged so even on the coldest days it's not as bad as being left outside .

Hey David,

The throttle controller worked out at $255, which is roughly £153. I was fortunate enough to have a friend bring it over for me from the US, so didn't pay import tax, duty, shipping etc.

It basically intercepts the throttle signal from the accelerator pedal, and can either improve or dull down the amount of response. The red mode is boost (very responsive), whilst the blue modes are economy settings. The main thing to appreciate is this product does not increase horsepower in any way. It's purpose is to alter the throttle response only.

As you can see from my pictures, the control button fits snuggly in the blank beside the headlight washer button on our dashboards. It does need a bit of double sided tape to pack out the blank, but it comes with a pad I chopped about to make it fit. The wire from the button is snaked down inside the dashboard (easy job), and goes into the control box. The box then has a main harness that connects into a model specific harness (sold separately, but was part of the package I bought for the price above). The harness is then a plug and play to the connector found at the top of the throttle pedal.

Installation and setup was around 20mins, but I was doing things very carefully. It could probably be done in half that time now I know the procedure. :)

I'm going to play around with the settings over the next couple of months to see how the different modes work in terms of MPG etc. Will try the dark blue economy mode on my next long drive to see if it improves my previous figures on the same trip.

The throttle controller sounds and looks really cool, will have to get one of those! Where did you get it from may I ask?

I personally like the car in auto but the turn the paddles on by pulling on the down shift, I find when I have the family in the car the changes are so much smoother and effortless. But when I am on my own and wanting fun I press sport and switch into full manual with paddles!!

No! Sport mode is like a wet dream...

Interesting analogy Stu! ;)

Personally never a fan of wet dreams chap! Lol.

Sport mode has it's uses, but I'm another fan of normal mode. :)

Smoother shifts for sure. The red mode on the throttle controller and sports mode on was frankly insane!! ;)

The throttle controller sounds and looks really cool, will have to get one of those! Where did you get it from may I ask?

I personally like the car in auto but the turn the paddles on by pulling on the down shift, I find when I have the family in the car the changes are so much smoother and effortless. But when I am on my own and wanting fun I press sport and switch into full manual with paddles!!

Got mine through a good friend from Houston, Texas mate. He bought it from eBay in the States on Black Friday. :)

I'm in the States quite often with work. Happy to bring things back for people if they can pay up front. :)

Cheers.

Peter