Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Right, Let's Talk Batteries

Since it seems my Battery is on the way out, I'm gonna need a new one. Seems the Battery for the IS saloon is a 005, which appears to come in 60, 62, and 65ah flavours (the Toyota one in mine is a 65ah)

So, Unipart have quoted me £54 for a Battery with 3 yr guarantee. I'm assuming this is only a 60ah and not a 65.

Halfords do three 005's - 60, 62, and 65, obviously at different price points; the 60 being about £60, 62 being £65 and the 5 yr warranty 65ah being about £80-£85 (these are trade discount prices, not shelf)

Now, they also list a different Battery for the IS200 sportcross - I think an 075. It has a higher ah rating, higher cranking rating, and is physically larger (height and depth are the same, but it's wider.

So my question; does the SC Battery fit in a saloon? Is there enough room for it to physically sit in the Battery tray? Because if so I might as well fit that as it's a larger, stronger Battery

What you can do is fit a larger Battery with a slight modification to the tray.

I know a lot of 200 owners who run massive stereo systems (I know one with 7 TV screens and a massive boot install) and they swear by it. I know it's a Varta Battery, I can find out the exact model number a bit later if you're interested. The mod to the tray is a five minute job also just to make it a little wider. Like I said, later this evening I can get all the info you need.

Ok well the 005 is 230mm L 170MM W AND 225MM H

075 IS 243mm L 175mm w and 175mm h I would think the only issue you would have is the 075 being 50mm shorter depending on how the Battery is retained in the cage regards peter

Thanks for the replies. I know there is little room in the area around the Battery, and I'm sure the terminals press into the protection material under the bonnet as is.

Either way, regardless of what new Battery I fit, I'm going to kill it. It's just the type of use the car gets - long gaps between use, then when it does get used it's short journeys, often with lots of stops and starts. So it never/rarely ever gets enough use to put back in what is taken out when starting.

Just wish I was able to run a power lead out to the car - would make leaving it on a trickle charge once a month or so much, much easier (than having to remove the Battery completely, bring it inside and charge it in the porch or garden!)

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the replies. I know there is little room in the area around the battery, and I'm sure the terminals press into the protection material under the bonnet as is.

Either way, regardless of what new battery I fit, I'm going to kill it. It's just the type of use the car gets - long gaps between use, then when it does get used it's short journeys, often with lots of stops and starts. So it never/rarely ever gets enough use to put back in what is taken out when starting.

Just wish I was able to run a power lead out to the car - would make leaving it on a trickle charge once a month or so much, much easier (than having to remove the battery completely, bring it inside and charge it in the porch or garden!)

A solar trickle charger going to the OBD11 port should do just that matey. Free energy too, hippy Lexus driver :phone: