Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Propshaft Removal

deblocks

Hi many thanks for reply

Better half was driving car and had to brake sharply, when she went to pull away there

was a noise(like something was dragging underneath with the occasional clunk) her

description

On visual investigation nothing is hanging down but there seems to excessive movement in prop/area

Engine is fine gear selection is ok but when driving noise is coming from tunnel area and certainly constant

on a revolution

Hope this makes sense

well i would look at your brakes first as the sc has a common fault with them sticking on

also check exhaust heat shield as these can come lose and rub on prop

i cant see the prob bearing being the problem

well the brakes that are fitted to our sc430 are the same as fitted to the lexus soarer 2.5 twin turbo

why they never fitted the far better 4 pot calipers as fitted to the late ls400 i dont know

the problem is the pins get dry and start to stick in the hangers and or the pistons get rusty and also get stuck

the only way to fix is to repace with new,or a good clean and regrease

i post up some pics over the weekend and show you what i mean

i can get new parts if needed

Hi anyone had to replace propshaft bearing carrier, looks like I need to replace?

Best place for replacement parts / how difficult a job

I haven't had the issue with my 430SC but I have had to have a prop shaft replacement on my wife's Jag. The symptoms you mention were similar. At first there was a bumping and vibration sound when accelerating particularly up hill and at high torques (in the Jag just over 2000 rpm but I expect it will be earlier than that in the 430) At first inspection there seemed to be play in the prop shaft particularly near the transfer box so we thought it was that. However it turned out to be the prop shaft in fact a worn its central bearing. The prop shaft was replaced quite easily the parts cost about £270 but we were refunded £120 for the old prop shaft. No more problems in the last two years.

Many thanks for all suggestions, will know better on Mon and hopefully

Update then

If repair bill isn't to great considering putting on a custom Cybox exhaust whilst in the air(not to boy racey)

But would like to hear v8 burble now and then

Update then

If repair bill isn't to great considering putting on a custom Cybox exhaust whilst in the air(not to boy racey)

I think this thirst for noise is unhealthy. The car is meant to be quiet...

Update then

i can do you a much better exhausts than that mate

Update then

i can do you a much better exhausts than that mate

Its a bit boy racer ish ... isn't it?

Update and poss unbeleivable finding, brake disc had sheared in 2 , wheel was turning but disc was stationary( scary really)

Replaced both front discs/pads checked rears which are fine

Garage said in all his years he had never seen that before, could have been catastrophic

Need to replace seals on boot/roof anyone know a supplier

P/S will try and post pic of disc later

Thanks for all advice

Update and poss unbeleivable finding, brake disc had sheared in 2 , wheel was turning but disc was stationary( scary really)

Replaced both front discs/pads checked rears which are fine

Garage said in all his years he had never seen that before, could have been catastrophic

Need to replace seals on boot/roof anyone know a supplier

P/S will try and post pic of disc later

Thanks for all advice

said brakes didnt i

glad its sorted mate,and just in time for the sun :)

well i guess you could say that,but on the other hand a quiet sc could be a bit old man

My son says that...But if you don't want quiet I cant see the point in buying a quiet car and making it noisy. There are lots of noisy cars to be had..

well i guess you could say that,but on the other hand a quiet sc could be a bit old man

My son says that...But if you don't want quiet I cant see the point in buying a quiet car and making it noisy. There are lots of noisy cars to be had..

i agree,thats why is not noisy

its just got that v8 sound :)

Thanks again Richard and co

Next problem is water in boot?

water in the boot

toyota and lexus have had this problem on many of there cars for years

when i worked at toyota in the 80s,we use to get alot of toyotas coming back with this problem

the worst was the mk3 supra and the one before that supra 2.8

the sc430 can also have this problem

check the drain tube for blocks and make sure its not come out of its drain hole

if it has then the little pockets in the side of the boot fill up ad then it gets nasty and damp in the winter

also check boot rubber up around near the rear window