Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pink Or Red Coolant?

Been phoning around today for prices on service parts etc.Anyway my car
is a late 2001 model.The dealership asked me did I want red or pink
coolant as they said my car would be around the time they changed from
pink to red.

I'm not sure what colour is in my car at present as it's really hard to say looking at it.

Which would you use and why?Will I require 2 litres or will I need 3 litres possibly?

Thanks.Lee.

They are the dealers, I would ask them what they recommend :)

IIRC they are both longlife and the red is the latest version, as long as you completely drain what is presently in there then flush and refill you should be fine.

The colour is not the most important, its if you have Ethylen or Propylen, cause both of them can be found in green, blue, red/pink and yellow.

Toyota longlife anti-freeze are Ethylen and is red/pink.

The colour is not the most important, its if you have Ethylen or Propylen, cause both of them can be found in green, blue, red/pink and yellow.

Colour is important if we are talking about Toyota coolant. Red is long life, Pink is super long life.

Colour is important if we are talking about Toyota coolant. Red is long life, Pink is super long life.

Both are ethylen so you can mix them how you want,

and when its mixed in the coolingsystem it can be pretty darn hard to see

the difference between red and pink.

As long as you guys don´t mix Ethylen and Propylen there are no dangers, cause that can end up like a thick goo in your system.

I use the Halfords extra long life pink stuff. I flushed my coolant in the 300 as soon as I got it as I did on my old 200.

Lexus tech at Lexus Bristol told me it's almost identical to the Toyota pink stuff and he'd have no probs using it. As said before it is a ethylene/glycol mix. That was good enough for me and my 200 did 25,000 miles on that coolant, no probs and when I sold it the coolant in it still looked brand new...

But I'm sure somebody will tell you what I've just said is bull and you should never use Halfords stuff instead of Toyota stuff etc etc... But make your own mind up Pete :)

I use the halfords extra long life pink stuff. I flushed my coolant in the 300 as soon as I got it as I did on my old 200.

Lexus tech at Lexus Bristol told me it's almost identical to the Toyota pink stuff and he'd have no probs using it. As said before it is a ethylene/glycol mix. That was good enough for me and my 200 did 25,000 miles on that coolant, no probs and when I sold it the coolant in it still looked brand new...

But I'm sure somebody will tell you what I've just said is bull and you should never use halfords stuff instead of Toyota stuff etc etc... But make your own mind up Pete :)

That's interesting,I heard the halfauds pink was very good stuff.

Thanks.Lee.

I use the halfords extra long life pink stuff. I flushed my coolant in the 300 as soon as I got it as I did on my old 200.

But I'm sure somebody will tell you what I've just said is bull and you should never use halfords stuff instead of Toyota stuff etc etc... But make your own mind up Pete :)

no no i realise this and actually took your same advise ages ago. My worry is ive mixed toyota stuff i originally used when i flushed and now top up with Halfords

If they are both ethanol/glycol and they are, then no problems mate :)

As previous said you only get probs when you mix ethynol/glycol with propylene/glycol (this is normally green) then it turns your coolant to what can only be described as mud... And just imagine the damage mud could do to the internals of your engine and in the coolant chambers and radiator and hoses etc...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links