Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Afternoon all...

I know the Mk2 LS400 with the single-button key is tied by hardware to the car. Unfortunately I've lost my key, but a chap who is breaking a similar car has agreed to sell me the keys, barrels & the transponder from the car.... but where is it located...? Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Ade.

If by MK2 you mean the 1992-1994 model the chip you need is located in the remote door ECU which in turn is located behind the carpet trim on the LHS of the boot.(toolbox side) more or less where the aerial is located.

The chip is located inside the ECU and sits in a plugable socket so you can either remove the chip or better still remove the whole ECU if you are not confident with handling Integrated Circuits as these can be damaged by simply touching them..

All you will need is the key(s), the chip/ECU and the ignition/door locks.

Swop the ECU into your own car and it should work with the key button

Just the mechanical work to do then i.e. the ignition barrel and door locks to change over.

If you have a non remote key for your car which operates the locks and ignition manually you could leave these locks as they are and use the new remote key just to open/close the doors but it means having 2 keys instead of one.

What makes it more difficult is this type of single button key fob shell is not available on Fleabay/Amazon unlike the later 2/3 button models so its not just a gut transfer and key cut... the pleasures of owning a classic :)

Hi Steve,

Yep - that's the one I meant by Mk2.... (with the overdrive switch on the side of the gear selector, before they changed to the wiggly gear selector).

It's a sad story really, I sold the car to a supposed mate, who then failed to pay me & did a disappearing act with the only key. Luckily, I managed to reposess the car, but of course I can't do anything with it...

Fortunately, a chap breaking a similar car on eBay has kindly agreed to sell me all 5 lock barrels, the module & a set of 3 keys (2 electronic + 1 valet), so I reckon I'll end up with one of the best key-endowed Mk2s out there! Just need to fix the dented wing & dicky ECU, and she'll be back to her former glory....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links