Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Bought My First Lexus :)

Hello,

I've just bought my first used Lexus a 400h this one

I got a decent trade in on my old 06 honda civic and they knocked £400 of the price. It will be serviced (new oil, filter, brake pads checked etc), valeted, 6 months mot and 3 months warranty and I pick it up next week.

My wife and I were looking at BMW 3 series, 330/335Ds, though fine cars, I sold my previous Golf GTI because I found I could rarely use the performance oh and it did 27 mpg.

My wife has always wanted a 4x4 so this one was quite close by and I said we would just go and take a look at it. Well after the test drive we were both sold, extremely comfortable, seemed very well built and solid, easy to drive, lots of toys and its only done 64k, FSH from Lexus last done just 6k miles ago. Its immaculate inside too. So we decided to go for it, just dropped the deposit of.

We are buying a personalised plate for it.

The only thing it hasn't got is an Iphone connector to play spotify on. I've had a quick search but there seems to be a bewildering array of choices. I want to control the music through the phone on a cable, and I want it to be able to charge, also it needs to be compatible with both Iphone4s and 5s as we have both phones. Is there a solution?

Also... we would like to add a bike rack, what are the thoughts on roof or rear boot mounted? I'd edging towards roof as I heard these were more stable and I don't want to damage the car though accidental scuffs and also it would be easier to park.

Your words of wisdom and comments are most welcome.

Oh and I'm hoping the car will do 30mpg as thats what I've told my wife it will do.

Well Simon, I don't reckon you'll be disappointed, I've recently gone from an RX300 to the hybrid, took it for a few days away last week, and it returned 30.7 mpg from 870 miles, and dare say I could've squeezed another couple more mpg if the cruise control had been used more.

Your Iphone connector to the sound system can be sorted for a few quid, if you shop around, I was lucky enough to have mine already fitted, by the previous owner, but while you're scratching your head as to why they fitted a cassette player on the dash, you can connect your Iphone to the sound system by going on eBay and buying one of those cassette tape plus link wire connectors, linking your phone via the earphone plug, and that way you can use Spotify, control music that way.

Welcome, it's worth checking to make sure that your Lexus has had the remedial work done on a recall about 4/5 months ago. A phone call to Lexus or a dealer should give you the answer.

Since I had the recall work done my onboard computer is showing around 26.2

A few members on here have experienced the same, my car is in for it's service the end of this month so I shall ask them to check this out. It was averaging about 30 so I hope to get this back.

One other thing, have a very close look at the alloys, they are very prone to blistering, if they have this negotiate on the price or at least get your seller to refurbish them!

Good luck

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. The GROM unit looks ideal for me, with the optional blue tooth and what looks to be a fairly simple installation.

As to the bike racks, I use a roof-mounted setup but only because I have to use the towbar for a caravan. If I didn't have the caravan, I'd look into the costs of fitting a towbar and using a bike rack on that - only because it is quite hard work getting them up on the roof (and I'm 6' 2").

If you do go for roof mounted, buy Thule bike racks (or the Halfords premium own brand which are actually Thule but re-branded to Halfords) - any of the cheaper ones are even more difficult to get the bikes on to. I currently have 2 Thule and 2 cheap ones and the Thule's are definitely worth the extra - when I can justify binning the cheap ones and getting 2 more Thule's, I will :shifty:

I'll take your advice Nelmo and go for the tow bar option. I live near Beverley/Hull in East Yorkshire. I've found a mobile tow bar fitting company who fit wittle towbars http://www.towbar2u.com/ . Are Wittle are good make? How much will I be looking at? When I went to have a look at the car (picking it up next week) I noticed it had a twin electric socket under the rear bumper, do they all have this?

Dewy, whittle are top notch most tow bars out there are made by them highly recommend. Tow bar electrics are not standard, so you already have that installed saving lots of time.

Thanks Spurty - might same myself some money on installation then :) Have I said I'm like a child at christmas, can't wait to pick the car up next week!

Would be a good idea to get hold of the owners manuals, if that's at all possible, and give them a good read before you get your car, so you're pretty much familiar with all the whistles and bangs that come with the car.

Could someone tell me do - will my 2006 SE car have HID and a laser controlled cruise control?

I've been quoted £430 to have a removable tow bar fitted with x2 electric points. I think I already have those so they said they'd knock £40 off. Thats for a mobile company in Hull to fit. I'm looking at a tow bar so I can fit a bike carrier (x3).

hello cant see why they would have twin electrics fitted without the tow bar aswell.....might have a detachable one already fitted..have a good look round in car or ask dealer if tow ball is about

I've been quoted £430 to have a removable tow bar fitted with x2 electric points.

That's very cheap - I was quoted that for a normal towbar and £650 for a detachable one...

David62 - thanks mate - car just come back from MOT and they've confirmed it has a removable tow bar - thats just saved me at least £400! :)

So I've bought a bike rack after recommendations from this forum http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/all-products/atera_strada_dl_3_to_4_bike_carrier_uk_lights_no_ar2603/Qx%40w%2C6M4PHS%2CZGenkQvENtdosM

I've bought an adapter to convert from 13 plug to 7(?) plug.

Just waiting for the vehicle details to come through from DVLA before I can pick it up and then put on my new private reg plate :)

Garage just phoned, I can pick the car up tomorrow. 12 months mot, just been serviced, valeting tomorrow morning :) Shame I'm going away to scotland but least my wife will enjoy a trip to Harrogate in lexus luxury... bear in mind we've been driving around in a honda civic 06 for the last 3 years. Which to be fair was very reliable and will be missed but doesn't compare to the comfort of an RX!

So finally I finally picked up the RX400 tried to use Battery power to get back to work.

My wife has took the car home but could anyone tell me how I get Bluetooth in the RX to connect to my Iphone 5s please?

I've read threads on the forum so I'm aware I can't download my phone book.

Hi Dewey

SNAP ! Have also bought my first Lexus(RX) An RX400h around the same time as yourself. Mine's an

08 with a higher mileage (80k). It was from Lexus Teesside and has been looked after by them. I

traded in my 2002 SC 430 which was fantastic but it was getting on a bit. It will be sadly missed. Here's

to a different Lexus experience !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links