Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apparently they all either keep power the same or reduce power unless you mod your exhaust as well.

So really it comes down to sound preference. Takeda is the only sealed unit so in theory is safer from water ingress. Also maintained the 2 stage intake process.

Stu

That's what I thought but there have been a lot of dyno tests on various intakes in the states and generally it is very little difference unless coupled with more freely flowing exhaust.

Also, being a n/a car it's a lot harder to squeeze ponies from it.

Loads of intake info on the US forum buddy. Worth a read.

Stu

Plus one on choosing the Takeda Rob. ;)

Got mine brought in by a friend from Houston. Do visit the States a few times a year on business. Would happily bring you one back if you can front the cash mate? It's cheaper than doing eBay etc, as no import duty, shipping costs etc.

Let me know if you're interested chap. :)

Cheers.

Peter

• Like 1

What you say about more air can mean more power is correct. But you are assuming the OEM intake restricts airflow. It doesn't. Lexus are not complete amateurs. What you can get is a change in the noise from under the bonnet - and with some of the aftermarket intakes, slight flow restrictions which makes things worse. Gains are hard to measure with rolling roads because there is no ram-air effect with a stationary car.

The same limitations are pretty much true of aftermarket exhaust systems, although some can produce small power gains at various rpm - the big gain is a less subdued exhaust note which really can be worthwhile.

What you say about more air can mean more power is correct. But you are assuming the OEM intake restricts airflow. It doesn't. Lexus are not complete amateurs. What you can get is a change in the noise from under the bonnet - and with some of the aftermarket intakes, slight flow restrictions which makes things worse. Gains are hard to measure with rolling roads because there is no ram-air effect with a stationary car.

The same limitations are pretty much true of aftermarket exhaust systems, although some can produce small power gains at various rpm - the big gain is a less subdued exhaust note which really can be worthwhile.

Agree with this. The RR's do have a fan do simulate air flow but not really up to much to be honest.

With the ISF, the mian gains are the sound....worth every penny!

Stu

Fully agree with all of the above.

Ok,so what about exhaust mods. Has anyone removed the secondary cats and centre silencer or just the rear silencers?

just want a bit more sound without losing any bhp, I previously had a bmw x5 4.8 which sounded lovely.....

Cheers Rob.

I have removed the rear muffler and put on smaller back boxes. Also, exhaust has gone from 2 in to 1 to being 2 separate pipes for each exit.

If you remove the second cats I don't know if it will pass mot and will probably be very loud! Pete on here is looking in to this. You can get a valve to be controlled to be open or closed so loud or quiet.

Yeh thanks Stu,i have heard yours,sounds great! I don"t have to worry about MOT as I live in Guernsey,we have no vehicle tests!!!

Show off!! ;)

Your good then chap.

May want to make the rear silencers a bit thicker if you are going to remove the secondary cats.

Just thinking it'll be pretty loud otherwise!! :)

Cheers.

Peter

Given this topic has covered exhausts as well as intakes, does anyone in the UK have experience of the PPE or Sikky headers?

They seem to be discussed a lot on the US centric forums and look to give some decent real power gains even with stock intake and exhaust. Cost doesn't look too high either, although I am sure import taxes may change that!

Hey Kevin,

I'm planning to go with the PPE headers at some point. I did a lot of research over on the US forums, and although Sikky get good reviews as well, PPE are the headers of choice in terms of quality and bang for your buck. ;)

The issue will be the costs associated with fitting them. You have to loosen engine mounts etc to remove the OEM headers and install the new ones. Labour is probably going to be at least £600 if not more.

Add that to the cost of the headers plus import tax, delivery, shipping etc, and you are looking at well over £1K.

Does seem to be the best mod for additional power though. :)

Also, you seem to need to unrestrich the exhaust and add an intake to really get the stated 50BHP gain. So thats another 200 odd for an intake and what ever you do to an exhaust.

May be wrong but i think headers alone is 20-30BHP gain.

I think the point is with an intake and just the headers, you can gain around 50HP.

The exhaust itself will net some gains on top, but not as many as the headers and intake combo.

Value for money would be the headers and intake, with maybe a rear silencer delete to enhance that V8 soundtrack! ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links