Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing Gearbox And Diff Oil

Gavin G

Does anyone know what type of oil is best for the gearbox and diff on an IS200 Sport? Semi Synthetic or Synthetic? Is it the same for oil for both gearbox & diff or different?

I've used Castrol Syntrax in my previous car (Impreza Turbo) and found it very good. Would this be OK for the IS200?

Cheers

Gavin :)

Does anyone know what type of oil is best for the gearbox and diff on an IS200 Sport? Semi Synthetic or Synthetic? Is it the same for oil for both gearbox & diff or different?

I've used Castrol Syntrax in my previous car (Impreza Turbo) and found it very good. Would this be OK for the IS200?

Cheers

Gavin

This is what the manual says...

Manual transmission:

Oil capacity = 1.9L (2.0 qt., 1.7Imp.qt.)

Oil type = Multipurpose gear oil API GL-4 or GL-5

Recommended oil viscosity = SAE 75W-90

Differential:

Oil type = Hypoid gear oil API GL-5

Oil viscosity = SAE 90 (above -18deg.) SAE 80W or SAE 80W-90 (below -18deg.)

The service manual makes no mention of changing the gearbox oil (though it should be inspected every 4 years / 40,000 miles).

The differential oil should be replaced every 20,000 miles / 2 years. I was told by the dealer that they used Castrol Syntrax SAE 75W-90. This doesn't quite match up with the specification in the manual but, since I couldn't find anything that did match exactly, it's what I used.

Be aware that the differential takes approximately 1100ml of oil so if you buy it in 1 litre bottles you will need two.

Doesn't have to be either. If you wish to spend the extra on synthetic then you will get the best protection and performance but unless you are using the car on a track it may not be worth it?

I have heard Redline transmission and diff oils are good. Can be shifting more slick.

As you have the sport your diff contains a LSD. Some types of LSDs cannot be used with certain oils as they need a certain amount of friction, so I would double check that the oil you select is compatible.

• 4 months later...

Its simple mate, no need for a guide.

-You need the car up on a lift.

-Remove the bottom drain plug and drain the old oil out.

-When it has all drained out, clean the plug throughly to remove any metail grindings from the magnetic bit. You may also want to fit a new washer to it as well.

-Reinsert the drain plug and remove the filling plug.

-Pour the new oil into the filling hole until it starts to overflow and run out. You will need to use one of those bottles with the long tube at the top.

-Replace the filling plug.

Job done, simple as that!

Hope that helps

Gavin :)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I think it's worth to use fully synthetic then you will get the best protection and performance.

75w-90 fully synthetic is the best option for quality and life.

One like this will do both box and diff as it's a GL4/GL5

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/TechSpecs/SILKTR...204%20Wheel.pdf

Cheers

Simon

• 5 years later...

Access it from underneath make sure the car is well supported

you will need a 24mm spanner (I think)

ideally you need a little pump thing to get the oil in as there’s

not much room if you’re not doing it on a ramp it’s a real pig

Ade

Hi, as said you will be able to access the drain and filler plugs from under the car ,when on ramps ,there is not much clearance in the transmission tunnel so you can't use a socket on the level plug ;you will need a 24 m/m ring spanner.Remove the filler plugs first before the drain plugs

The drain & filler plug are on the RH (drivers) side of the gear box. Not a job I'd want to do under axle stands. I used a hoist at work. You'd require 2 pairs to get the car level so all the oil will drain out & a hand pump to put it in. Diff is a little easier & from memory requires a hex drive/allen key.

Have a read of this thread for oil recommendations http://www.lexusowne...wtopic=67162&st

Cheers guys for the advice. what about the rear differential filler hole? can't find it in the online manual, but i vaguely remember it can be accessed from the offside rear wheel arch?

suggest you get some glasses then as its shown on EVERY single drawing of the diff.