Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Voice Recognition - Do You Use It?

I am driving a gleaming black RX450h today, while my RX400h is getting its MOT done and brakes replaced.

I tried the voice recognition and realised how good and efficient it is in comparison the one in my car. I have long given up on voice commands in my RX400h as I find that it rarely works, and when it does you have to feed it bits of info one at a time, and it's much quicker to just use the touch screen.

Do any of you use voice control on a regular basis? - Does it improve the more you use it?

- found an old post with a list of the commands that are available...

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/26361-full-list-of-voice-commands-available-anywhere/?hl=%2Bvoice+%2Bcontrol

The commands are so specific i couldnt be bothered to learn them!

Same on my ML.........I am not willing to learn the long list of commands required for specific tasks, but it is useful for programming the sat nav while on the move, thats a lifesaver.....probably literally!

I always wondered what that button on the steering wheel was for! :huh:

...and I thought I'd read the manual fully - don't remember anything about voice control - definitely going to have a play with that!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a brief play with this yesterday and I can't get it to work very well (and there's almost nothing in the manual about it)...

On the radio, it seemed to understand 'FM1' but it actually switched to the station saved in position 2. Saying 'FM3' played position 3 but I'm not sure if that was just a fluke...

Also, couldn't get the phone options to work at all - the help shows 'Dial + name' as the command to use but it never seemed to understand me. Is that all I have to say, "DIAL FRED" (phone was connected with Bluetooth and FRED is in my car phonebook)? I tried CALL and PHONE but neither worked...

Anyone use it more often and can help?

Have to say the voice command in my ISF seems ok. I only use the below and it works fine. IF i want to call someone i dial using my phone and speak through the cars system.

1. Suspend Guidance - Nav

2. Mark - Nav

3. Repeatr guidance - Nav

4. Resume guidance - Nav

5. Raise temperature - Climat

6. Lower temperature - Climate

7. Audio on

8. Audio off

On trying out the options on my RX450h, the options are very few! and all to do with Navigation.

I can tell it a destination (Town and street) or a 'Nearby' location (examples: Grocery Store, Cinema, Chinese Restaurant) and that is it.

There's no possibility of controlling the Audio nor the Temperature/air con/ventilation. Disappointing. Pull your socks up Lexus!

I did get the phone to sort of work - it came up with the phonebook but didn't seem to recognise any of the names.

However, not helped by the presence of my young kids who found it hysterically funny to shout random words at it, at the same time - it seems 'poo-bottom' is not a valid command :P :megaangry: