Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changed mileage again!!!!!!

I would suspect that he is either a member of LOC or has a mate who is.

For the avoidance of any doubt, it's not me. I met him once to do the deal on my LS400 and have had no contact of any kind since, with him or with anyone associated with him.

I am just slightly bemused that there is a lot of "there's two sides to every story" on the Smiffie saga, but not with this guy. The only one of us who has actually shaken hands on a deal with the guy is me, as far as I can make out, and he was totally straight with me.

For the avoidance of any doubt, it's not me. I met him once to do the deal on my LS400 and have had no contact of any kind since, with him or with anyone associated with him.

I am just slightly bemused that there is a lot of "there's two sides to every story" on the Smiffie saga, but not with this guy. The only one of us who has actually shaken hands on a deal with the guy is me, as far as I can make out, and he was totally straight with me.

Consider yourself very lucky. This guy is well known on this board and when cars he advertises (under many different eBay IDs) come up with huge amounts of mileages missing plus others that have met him with a view to buying a car from him but finding out there are many things wrong with the car that have not been disclosed and even after being told by those members he still continues to sell them minus the faults which have been pointed out to him face to face. There is only one conclusion, do not trust this man.

All conmen, crooks are nice to your face while they are ripping you off or sticking a knife into your back that's the way it works.

You cannot bring Smiffee into this topic as they are as different as chalk and cheese.

As I said at the beginning you were lucky. I will post later an email I received from him which is probably why he has changed the mileage again but I am pushed for time at present. Mike

In no way was I implying that it was you Christopher. Glad that you appear to have purchased a car that lives up to your expectations.

In no way was I implying that it was you Christopher. Glad that you appear to have purchased a car that lives up to your expectations.

Hi Dave, I know you weren't but just wanted to make sure no one had any lingering suspicions, as I seem to be the only person standing up for him.

This is not because I know he's sound - he may well not be - but because the decent thing is to stand up and be counted if your own experience is positive.

As promised email sent and reply from Lexuschap.

I have had communication with this person many times and if anyone thinks to themselves why does he bother the reason is as follows.

I have used eBay as part of my businesses selling strategy almost since its launch and over that time eBay has gone from a brilliant idea to an almost miserable place to do business. A lot of that trouble has been bought about by eBay themselves but overwhelmingly its people like this person who make eBay such a miserable place now to do business.

eBay for their part rarely go after the crooks as all they are interested in are the listing fees and as long as they get that they are happy. There are no final fees due on Classified Ads but I am sure they will get fed up when someone like this uses the the same Classified Ads for multiple items thus avoiding new listing fees each time. He has been reported to eBay for this practice lets see how long this one stays up there for.

Email to Lexuschap................

Well here you go again first the mileage is 160K then we contact the buyer
you bought it from who tells us he sold it to you with !80+k on the clock
so you put the mileage back up until the Trader ad disappears and you
bring it down again.
This time though the guy you bought it from is
more than happy to talk to the police and Trading Standards which we
will be arranging on Monday. Sleep well your time will soon be up.
We have also reported you to eBay for not declaring you are a dealer and
sell as a private person. Just one other call to make on Mon and that's
to HM Customs & Revenues. Might be worth ringing the Benefits people
as well just to give them your name and all your eBay aliases. Mike.

His reply..............

i have not altered any mileage. The mot has just been done u fool &
mileage is clearly on the certificate. As i said im a sole trader
registered with HM, im not on any benefits either. Good luck u sad piece
of s**t. (I have censored the last word)

I think you will agree just the sort of reply you expect from an honest, straight and pillar of the community.

He also admits he is a sole trader which means he should declare this on his listings as required to by eBay listing requirements but doesn't.

Mike

I should have also included that as a Sole Trader he does have obligations under the law to his customers.

Using the eBay Classified Ad gives you absolutely no protection, eBay rule as follows

Considerations: Classified Ad sales aren't backed by eBay services and protection, including Feedback and eBay Money Back Guarantee.

• Like 1

I reckon that's why he changes his name

I know all his names and have given them all to eBay but sweet fanny adams. The best way to get him is to get the name and address of the guy he bought the car from, quietly and then find out from the police who it is that deals with this type of thing and give them the story, they like good info as it makes it an easy nick, they don't have to do any investigating. If anybody has his proper name and address I have friends who work for the Benefits depts up in Blackpool who will gladly run his name and address through the system. Mike

Would you be able to tell me them i suspect he has already ruined an auction of mine for my LS430 with one of his other names, i had to relist and already got another email as lexus chap with a pathetic offer.

I reckon that's why he changes his name

I know all his names and have given them all to eBay but sweet fanny adams. The best way to get him is to get the name and address of the guy he bought the car from, quietly and then find out from the police who it is that deals with this type of thing and give them the story, they like good info as it makes it an easy nick, they don't have to do any investigating. If anybody has his proper name and address I have friends who work for the Benefits depts up in Blackpool who will gladly run his name and address through the system. Mike

Would you be able to tell me them i suspect he has already ruined an auction of mine for my LS430 with one of his other names, i had to relist and already got another email as lexus chap with a pathetic offer.

PM me the name of the last bidder, dont reply in the open forum just in case its wrong. Mike

I sold my LS to this chap. I took a hit on the price it could have made because the insurance was going to expire when I was out of the country working, so I wanted to sell it before I left. I wanted to sell her because some big bills were coming up and I'd spent quite enough already (no regrets).

I'm sure some of you remember my advert in eBay, which I think was pretty honest about the car's faults. When he re-advertised it, none of those faults were listed. Not one. In fact, though I'd stated that I only had a receipt for a timing belt kit and not for cambelt replacement at 120,000, and even though I couldn't find that receipt when he came to collect, his advertisement stated as fact that the cambelt had been changed at 120,000 when I could offer no such guarantee. That's very dishonest, in fact in my opinion it's grounds to return the car should the cambelt go. He also said that the LPG system had been recently serviced when actually an LPG service was due in only a few months time.

Anyway, he paid in cash, the car was sold, and I went to work happy that its insurance renewal was one less thing to worry about. I've no complaints but I won't be selling to him again.

I have always said I would never buy a Car off eBay and whilst looking to replace my Ls400 mark 1 with a Mark 4 I deliberatly ignored eBay and trawled the more reliable sites.I could'nt find anything that excited me for months .One day I was looking for a spare part for my Mark 1 on eBay when I spotted a 1998 mark 4 with 18k on the clock ,the rest is history I have owned the car for nearly two years and it is still like the day it left the factory.Lucky Lucky Lucky MEEEEEEEEE.

• Like 2

Well after many hours trawling the web for a late 400 what did I go and buy, yep a 430 advertised on eBay!

I've read all the posts about the probs they suffer with and yet I still bought it, WHY I can hear you all shout.

My head said buy a 400 but my heart said 430, I much prefer the interior of the 430 but the exterior of the 400, turmoil.

I went to view the 430 on Sat not to far from me and could tell it was genuine, FSH, only 104k, nice colour, clean interior and

a totally genuine seller, crawled all over it, test drove it and HPI check revealed no horror stories, front discs were warped, boot

gas struts were weak and a couple of the front parking sensors were goosed.

We agreed on a price, transferred the money into his account and I drove home with a HUGE smile on my face, the wife following behind in my 1990 MR2 .

It is a fabulous car for not a lot of money, yes I'm aware of the things that might go wrong, but I guess I'm in the lucky position of owning my own garage and MOT test Ctr so can sort any probs myself, I have always known how reliable Toyotas are, I was an AA patrol for

21 years, rarely did they break down, more often than not it was human error, flat Battery, flat tyre, keys locked inside etc.

I must congratulate you all on such a great site, friendly and informative, I have learnt a lot, helped me no end when looking for mine.

Will keep my adventures with the 430 posted, time permitting.

Right, off to read the manual, might take me a while.

PS. Still can't wipe the grin off my face, wife said I weaved all the way home cos I was playing with all the buttons! Not true of course.

• Like 1

You will always find good and bad traders on eBay, some really good and some really bad.

This guy does not look like a good trader at all, but thats personal opinion after seeing some of his auctios and what fellow forum dudes have found out.

I have not purchased a car from eBay, i have bought and sold several motorbikes without issues, but then again i beleive in being honest in any eBay auction.

I would buy a car from eBay, but you have to follow your nose and instincts, go and view the car prior to bidding if you can, does it look right, is the paperwork right, ask the seller to do a vehicle check if it has not got one, they should have no argument not to apart from cost, get advice from forums relating to the make of car.

And if you win an auction and it turns out not to be as described, you do not have to follow through with the transaction.

• Like 1

Well I am gutted to find this thread. I have just bought one ls400 from lexuschap. I can't help but question everything about it now. Fortunately I have a good relationship with my local lexus garage and they are giving me a free all over check of the car to tell me what is and isn't good with it! I just feel gutted I may have bought a pup

Well I am gutted to find this thread. I have just bought one ls400 from lexuschap. I can't help but question everything about it now. Fortunately I have a good relationship with my local lexus garage and they are giving me a free all over check of the car to tell me what is and isn't good with it! I just feel gutted I may have bought a pup

How did you purchase the car, eBay, cash buy by visiting the garage.

Remeber you still have rights as a consumer. If it bought it sold as seen then it may be difficult if it is a pup. If it has problems when sold that you were not told about then seek legal advice as to your rights, citizens advice can be a start if needs be.

Check the mileage via the old mot's if it has any. Check any paperwork you have if any.

Well done your local lexus for the free check over, if anything is amiss then they best placed to find it.

It may have been mine, in which case I can tell you exactly what to look out for (not much).

Thanks I found it through eBay but bought it cash. I new he wasn't upfront about everything at the time but I checked the car over and figured I worked out all the faults. I only paid 1200 and it had an mot till jan which backed up Mileage claims for the last 4 years. Lexus are checking cam belt for any signs of change and a general health check of the car. Fortunately lexus are one of the few dealers who seem willing to help there car owners regardless of the cars age.

A lot of hearsay, rumour and supposition. Unlike just about everyone else, I have actually done business with this chap. I was very happy with the deal and with the car. I have had it for a year now with no problems at all.

My advice would be to inspect the car carefully, get as much info as you can, and be aware that vehicles can have concealed faults. In other words, treat him the same way as anyone else selling a car to you.

Thanx mate, at least there is somebody with a neutral perspective out there. How people can write so many silly comments without even meeting that person is just insane! Like this Guy there have been numerous happy chappys who have purchased cars from me. In fact i recomend anybody to view my cars & make up thier own decisions.

And what about clocking an ls430 that's done 280000 miles to 137000 ish, is that not a crime? Its not the first he's done it, and obviously he's still doing it

You are full of sh*t, you have never even met me, what on earth are you talking about? I have many satisfied punters, like Clunkfish for example, there are many others, I will encourage all my punters to send there reviews about the cars they have bought from me from this point on. I have never ever altered any mileage on any car i have ever sold. Get your facts right!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links